Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 World Series

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone watching? I missed the first two games. Watching game 3.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Astros jumped up two runs.

• Options

Since I don't have a rooting preference, I'd like to see Houston win tonight to make it a series.

• Options

WS baseball is on another level of intensity.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hoping Houston wins this game for personal & selfish reasons.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2019 6:47PM

Yes, it is intense. Everything is magnified x 100. Every pitch, every at bat, it's all magnified.

• Options

Washington just scored. The crowd is getting pumped.

• Options

3-1 Houston

• Options

4-1 Houston

• Options

Good game so far

• Options

Series tied up at 2.

Now it's interesting.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Hoping the Nats win, 1st one and are better without Harper

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far it's home field disadvantage. I think the big difference is pitching. The Nat's have the best top 2, but then the drop off is huge.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will go 7 I’m thinking. A World Series Game 7 is absolutely insanity

• Options

@perkdog said:
    It will go 7 I’m thinking. A World Series Game 7 is absolutely insanity

Agree. Game 7 WS is must see TV, especially when it's a close game into late innings.

• Options

The play of the night tonight has to be the guy coming back to his seat with a beer in each hand and catches a HR on the fly in the chest and doesn't spill a drop of beer. That had to hurt!

• Options

Three straight losses by the Nats, and back to Houston. The Nats let it slip away.

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    @artee.... u selfish bastard.... :)

Yep. Backfired big time.

Was heading to game 5 if they could have just won game 3 or 4.

Then all hell broke loose.

Lost 3 & 4

Then Mad Max turned into a maxi and they lose game 6.

Hate to say it, but I think it's ova.

• Options

The Nat's are going to win these 2 games in Houston, which will probably be the first time that the road team won all 7 games of a WS. Wouldn't that be something!?

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

Would like to see a game 7.....that's always an exciting end to the season. But I would also like to see Verlander pitch well tonight. How about a 1-1 game to the 8th, both starters leave and the Nats create a run to get it to game 7.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda want to see how far Verlander can extend his record, how about 11-3 Nats in the 6th and Astros come back for an exciting finish 11-10?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    The Nat's are going to win these 2 games in Houston, which will probably be the first time that the road team won all 7 games of a WS. Wouldn't that be something!?

Except that it won't happen.

The Nats have finally come down to expectations.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

You're probably right, but we can always hope. Verlander will crap the bed tonight and then on to game 7. :)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

You're probably right, but we can always hope. Verlander will crap the bed tonight and then on to game 7. :)

Earlier in the season it seemed like there was no chance the Nats would even make the playoffs.

They've accorded themselves quite well getting this far, but now it's over.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Earlier in the season it seemed like there was no chance the Nats would even make the playoffs.

They've accorded themselves quite well getting this far, but now it's over.

It's never over with Verlander pitching! Go Nat's.

• Options

I think...…...actually I know I would walk Springer very FREAKING time not matter what.

• Options

WOW.

• Options

Bingo.....should have walked him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Robles needs to do something. anything!

• Options

Boy that was a totally BS call. If I would have been Martinez I would have kicked dirt on that UMP!!!!! Earl Weaver style!

• Options

Payback's a Bitch!!!

• Options

Could we possibly have a WS where the road team won all 7 games!? I hope so....should be fun!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Boy that was a totally BS call. If I would have been Martinez I would have kicked dirt on that UMP!!!!! Earl Weaver style!

Rendon made it ok!

• Options

Game 7 like I predicted!!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 6:38AM

I like the Nationals chances tonight against Greinke and would expect that the previous game experience they have facing him will pay off early.

also, in case someone missed it Justin Verlander has still not won a WS game. B)

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I like the Nationals chances tonight against Greinke and would expect that the previous game experience they have facing him will pay off early.

also, in case someone missed it Justin "Ohfersix" Verlander has still not won a WS game. B)

FIFY ;)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:p

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

The morning after, I think the call was correct. There is a clearly defined lane for the runner from home plate to first. Managers should insure that players stay in that lane. If the managers and owners do not like that rule, they can change it. Ump was correct.

• Options

If the Nats win tonight, Dimeman will seem like a genius.

I would start subscribing to his sports prediction website, especially the 100 star picks. ;)

• Options

Got to admit I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player carry the bat all the way down the first base line and hand it off to the first base coach. I understand it got a lot of people angry since it’s one of those “Unwritten” rules 🤷‍♂️ Ofcourse Soto returned the favor

• Options

Well considering my previous comments, I just don’t know what to say. :#

• Options

@s4ny said:
    The morning after, I think the call was correct. There is a clearly defined lane for the runner from home plate to first. Managers should insure that players stay in that lane. If the managers and owners do not like that rule, they can change it. Ump was correct.

Just an absolute blown call! I'm not biased here; Turner ran straight down the first base line; the view from behind the plate shows he did not veer out. As he gets to the bag, he has a right to get to the bag...again he did not veer out. The ball was thrown into his path. The call was bad, but the review was even worse!

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@s4ny said:

Just an absolute blown call! I'm not biased here; Turner ran straight down the first base line; the view from behind the plate shows he did not veer out. As he gets to the bag, he has a right to get to the bag...again he did not veer out. The ball was thrown into his path. The call was bad, but the review was even worse!

Terrible call. The runner DID NOT interfere ....he has a right to the base and that is where he was when the ball got there!

• Options
    edited October 30, 2019 11:05AM

We can thank Rendon here for saving baseball in some tiny little way. Because it was a terrible judgement call and had the tides turned the other way, I think it would have driven a lot of non-partial fans away simply because it's become a series for the ages. But even with that judgement call, even though technically "right", it's a non-issue thanks to Tony Two-Bags.

*He shoulda had 6 ribbys though!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:

@s4ny said:

Was it really a blown call?

What IS the rule on the basepath/line and where a guy can run? I saw his left foot on the grass pretty much the entire way down to first and he then moved slightly to the right as he approached the bag. You are correct in that he never "veered" to try to obstruct the throw.

You could draw a pretty straight line from where he hit the ball right up to the bag, but is that ok? He WAS running to the left of the line, I am assuming a runner is going to take as much room as he can on that side as to make the play difficult for the fielder to make.

I don't think the rule was ever explained and by what the announcers said it's a judgement call by the ump.

Joe Buck is simply a horrible announcer. This is the best they can come up with?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

As I watch him approach the base, I see one foot come down just to the fair side of the line and one on the foul side just as he approaches the base. This is one or two steps before he hits the base. He is entitled to touch the base by definition. After the football playoffs with the Saints, had this cost the Nats a chance, I don't know what kind of uproar there wouldd have been

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not what I asked. At first I thought the call was bad. Then on reply it showed the runner obviously was running to the left of the line all the way down to first, his left foot was coming down on the grass every step of the way until just before he got to the bag.

I am wondering if there's a rule as to how far off of the line a runner can be into the field of play. I am guessing the umpire thought he was running too far to the left.

I am not an Astro or Nats fan, so I don't care if it was a "bad" call or not. I'm just wondering if it WAS a bad call. Nice that it didn't factor in the outcome of the game.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

The interference was called because they claimed that he interfered with the first baseman while he was catching the ball....at least that was the explanation I read. It had nothing to do with where he was running out of the batters box. The rule then goes on to say that the runner is able to touch the base. Those last two steps are where he supposedly interfered because he hit the first baseman's glove as he tried to catch the ball. If the throw was on target, where he was running would be a moot point because he was directly at the bag. Again, I have no dog in this fight, but as an observer, the runner did not obstruct the 1B ability to catch the ball. If the ball is thrown into the runner who is about to touch the base, in my mind that is not interference.