Buying bullion from Canada to save on tax?

TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see some bullion dealers in Canada that would ship to US. Shipping is like $15 for under $300 and free after. ;)

Comments

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Canada has to charge state tax , the royal Canadian mint charged me sales tax on my last order

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2019 9:47PM

@coinpalice said:
    I believe Canada has to charge state tax , the royal Canadian mint charged me sales tax on my last order

Canadian mint had been charging me taxes long before ebay did. But I doubt these private companies would do same.

Anyhow lets assume if one buys from out of the state such as HK https://www.lpm.hk/ with tax free and free or less than tax shipping fee .

3 X 2020 10 oz Great Britain The Queen’s Beasts - The Falcon of the Plantagenets it would cost $613.08 plus Fedex International $28.51. But in the US it would cost at least $50-$60 in tax.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Have a friend in a non tax state buy for you and have them ship. You can load up a medium flat rate box with a lot of weight for about $15

Previous transactions: Wondercoin
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 21,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of like driving over to the next county to save 4 cents a gallon on gas?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• OPAOPA Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:

Perth Mint and UK's Royal Mint does not charge a sales tax for US buyers. (whats the cost of flight?)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Travel to ND, no tax on PM or rare coins.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

eBay is even taxing precious metals? I didn't think silver was taxable with sales tax?

Thanks,

Don

myurl<
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

depends upon state laws

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 10:42PM

@OPA said:

@Baley said:

Perth Mint and UK's Royal Mint does not charge a sales tax for US buyers. (whats the cost of flight?)

Royal mint / International Delivery £12.50 or $16.08usd
    Perth Mint / Free Shipping Worldwide on all orders over $400 excluded certain bullion. But it normally charges around $24 unless you are buying more than a kilo.

Unless you live in a tax free state, the magic numbers are somewhere between $300-$999 in NY or $300- $1499 in Cali due to tax exempt if any, after certain amount.

Paying average of $20-$25 shipping fee around the world vs free shipping that comes with state tax ...... >:)