Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Not in the HOF- But should be (or will be)

Starting with football. I Would love to hear your thoughts on any retired or active players.

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Marshall

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if they'll let Bill Romanowski in some day? He was a dirty player.

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Rodney Harrison. He was somewhat of a dirty player as well, but no where near as dirty as Romanowski.

• JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Lance Briggs and Charles Tillman

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope Vince Wilfork and/or Logan Mankins make it someday.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

Steve Atwater, Alan Faneca, Tony Boselli, Steve Hutchinson, & Randy Gradishar.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Jacoby, Isaac Bruce, Edgerrin James

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Harold Jackson had the most receptions, yardage, and TD catches of any receiver in the 1970’s, but isn’t in the Hall of Fame.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Flores (as a coach). Gino Cappelletti should go in, as should Charlie Hennigan. Jim Tyrer and Walt Sweeney should have been in decades ago, but will never go in due to off-field issues.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ethel Merman sang a mean "God Bless America"... but I don't think anyone gives a damn.

+1 for Gino Cappelletti but I’ve given up hope on that.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don Coryell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

A part of me always thinks Priest Holmes and Clinton Portis both belong in to. They were both dominant for a short time.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harvey Martin. Look at his “unofficial” sack totals in 14 game seasons. It was not a recorded stat during his heyday. He was a dominant pass rusher

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭

Bryant Young

• CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭

DEVIN HESTER

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Greg Lloyd, Donnie Shell, LC Greenwood, Ken Anderson

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Antonio Brown

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

Man, it's really obvious which team most of you guys follow. I'm a Giants fan, but I'm not gonna advocate for Phil Simms, Carl Banks, Amari Cooper, etc. for the HOF just because of my fandom. Some of the players mentioned in this thread have zero chance of getting in.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

@shagrotn77 said:
    Man, it's really obvious which team most of you guys follow. I'm a Giants fan, but I'm not gonna advocate for Phil Simms, Carl Banks, Amari Cooper, etc. for the HOF just because of my fandom. Some of the players mentioned in this thread have zero chance of getting in.

I clicked agree, because I do, for the most part. But I do think sometimes that some of the criteria is muddy. I’m a Pats fan and I keep reading Richard Seymour has a good chance. He’s not a HOFer to me. I think his prime, while great, was too brief. I’d rather have Wilfork’s career than Seymour’s.

Of all the players listed above, I think the most deserving are Isaac Bruce, Faneca and Hutchinson.

Yaz Master Set

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think Wilfork gets the credit he deserves. He basically took away the option of running up the middle against the Pats.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

With the special senior selection this year I can't say for sure but I think it will be not for the guys on the post 1980 list but for the long forgotten list. Guys like Gino. It will probably be the last possible time for them.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

The senior selection committee is looking for older guys that slipped through the cracks on previous votes. Take a look at all the players that made the NFL All-Decade Teams that are not in the HOF, (FYI - Just a place to start)

• MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Ok Now for baseball-- Ill start with the obvious- Pete Rose

Not really going out on a limb, but..... Adrian beltre, pujols, Jeter, trout, schilling

Yaz Master Set

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Kind of hoping some of the consistent RB’s - Edgerrin James, Steven Jackson & Fred Taylor get some consideration.

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    Tom Flores (as a coach).

You have a ton of people here in Fresno that agree with you.

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

For baseball it’s about time Gil Hodges was inducted.

Dave
  • CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

@lahmejoon said:

@AFLfan said:
    Tom Flores (as a coach).

You have a ton of people here in Fresno that agree with you.

Henry Ellard and Lorenzo Neal.

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I loved Lorenzo. Last I saw of him, he was at Costco promoting some food products. That was probably eight years ago or so.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Baseball needs its own thread

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Saimes

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.