Home U.S. Coin Forum

1981 Boy Scouts So-Called Dollar in Pewter

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2019 8:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just ran across the following 1981 pewter issue of HK-577 which NGC is slabbing as a HK-577 restrike. This is mentioned by So-CalledDollars in the HK-577 listing quoted below.

Seems like the pewter issue is a bit larger, at 39mm, than the original at 37mm. Anyone have information on who made these and why specifically in 1981? 1985 would make sense as the 75th anniversary but maybe they just struck them early?

So-CalledDollars.com indicates the restrikes but don't assign numbers or letters to them:

Medal: This was Official Jamboree Medal; designed by National Council; 65,000 pieces struck in oxidized Bronze by Robbins Co.; sold at Jamboree Trading Posts "to boys who wished to bring them home as souvenirs." Supply Service Division of National Council advised that all medals were delivered to Boy Scouts of America and entire quantity sold at Jamboree. Shortly after Jamboree closed, however, specimens became available elsewhere but at substantially increased prices.

Photos courtesy of Jonathan Brecher

Obv. In center circle is a Scout Shield with rays; above shield, around For God and Country; below shield to l. 1910, to r. 1960; below a line Boy Scouts of America / 50 / Fifty Years of Service; outside circle, at top National Jamboree, at bottom Colorado Springs

Rev. Entire surface is divided into three (3) equal segments; in upper is view of Air Force Academy buildings and grounds; in lower l. is Pike's Peak; in lower r. is Will Rogers Memorial Tower.

• HK-577 Bronze, oxidized, plain edge. 37mm.

NOTE: A 39mm medal with similar designs and a reeded edge was produced for collectors in the 1980s as part of a set of restrikes of Boy Scout Jamboree medals. The restrike was produced in pewter and brass, and should not be confused with the original No. 577 produced in 1960, which is smaller, bronze and unreeded.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice....I like it in bronze...Cheers, RickO

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

just my thoughts, but that isn't HK-577 by any stretch and calling it so is just wrong. it is something entirely different, struck at a different time, from a different alloy and a different size. it shouldn't even qualify as a "Restrike" for obvious reasons.

I don't know what it is, but I really don't see it as a SC$, but then NGC has a well documented history of encapsulating pretty much anything submitted and calling it whatever they choose. I think that TPG is really better than this mistake.

end of rant, have a nice day and enjoy that token.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file