Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where to go from here?

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone.

I hope you've all been well!! I see a lot of new faces and that is just awesome. All things are well here with the wife, health, family, etc. and it's good to still see many of you here.

So uh, weird question. My business took off and I'm finally caught up on debts, replaced/repaired items, stocked pantries, new clothes, etc. and here I am finally getting back around to coins (again).

I see the $20 coins that used to amaze me (they still do), but I can't really get a "finer taste" for some of the big coins. I hate to ask what to collect, but I guess my best way to ask, is how has the hobby changed for you during different levels of wealth?

Everything happened so fast and I've always been broke so expensive coins are completely new to me. So there hasn't been any gradual progression from junk to collectibles, or a longer period in which I've enjoyed a few hundred dollar coins, a few years later enjoy thousand dollar coins etc.

All I've ever known is what you guys call "junk", and have fallen in love over and over again. I guess over the decades I just never prepared for actually having decent available money for this hobby, and have no idea where to go beyond overpriced fee-riddled ebay fakes, or how/where to become interested in other eras or art. Shows? Shops? Coin clubs?

Thank you, and again, it's super awesome to still see so many of you active here doing what you love.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always thought of doing a mint set with $5 gold, one from each mint in same condition (like 45).

But, alas it's just a dream as I spent the next 5 years budget for coins on attorney fees this year (family issues always suck but it did work out).

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Good to hear that things are going well for you!

I tend to find that visiting shows and browsing through auction catalogs will inspire my interest in something new. Look for something that piques your interest, do some reading about it to educate yourself, and you may be on to the next collecting area!

As far as buying fakes, much of that simply comes from a combination of time to learn for yourself and buying from the right sources. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Until then, PCGS and other graded coins can remove some of that risk.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that being broke in this culture doesn’t have to be a permanent situation, :) With that said, neither is having money. Downer... :D

Maybe buy one piece you’ve always though kinda unobtainable that you said you’d get if you ever could, that you can lock in while the getting is good, something you can commemorate your current good fortune with. Congrats!

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear things are working out well for you now, whether it's the mushroom biz or
    something else that has taken off!

Be careful and proceed slowly! Let that money keep burning a hole in your pocket, it won't fall out or disappear. Buying big ticket coins with limited experience can certainly make money disappear.
    Since you asked, I now have far much more wealth than at any point previously, yet I'm still fairly cautious, conservative, and value-oriented in my buying, probably even more-so, with the market becoming increasingly selective. My biggest winners have come from knowing when to stretch on a coin, after careful study and knowing the market. My biggest mistakes have come from being 'spontaneous', buying something because it looks cool at the moment.

As far as what to collect, the Type set and Box of 20 concept seem to still be very much alive.
    If you prefer doing a series, and like smaller coins, I'd recommend sticking with the more popular series, like Indian cents, Lincoln cents, Buff nickels, Merc dimes, etc. And if you don't want to get bogged down chasing mintmarks, the one per year concept also seems popular.
    I'd also stick with solid for the coin, desirable collector grades, like XF-AU, and steer clear of chasing top-pop coins, at least until you get real familiar with what you're doing. And even stay wary.
    Best of luck, and keep us all informed!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion. Attractive bullion.
    Non flaunted affluence.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always good to hear good news! Previous posters have given some great advice and I can relate in many ways. My situation being in sales lends to varying income levels over time and I've had similar questions. What I've found works for me is to not overthink this hobby, and realize the true reason that I participate is for the fun of it. Here is one thing I can do just for kicks or giggles- call it whatever you will. I've set a few goals over the years and always the experience in getting there is more rewarding than the "destination". Keep it fun and you'll have no regrets.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't buy just because you can.

With slabbed/CACed coins from major auction houses available, there need be little risk of ever getting a fake.

If you don't know what to buy, it's because you shouldn't be buying. When the coin beckons, you will know it.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I've always thought of doing a mint set with $5 gold, one from each mint in same condition (like 45).

But, alas it's just a dream as I spent the next 5 years budget for coins on attorney fees this year (family issues always suck but it did work out).

bob :)

you're just one big ebay pick and/or one big gold nugget away from replenishing, i'm sure. ;)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens ....Welcome back to the forum and hobby...I recommend going to shows, especially large one's such as FUN....There you will see an amazing array of great coins. Stick to slabbed coins as you learn. Good luck and let us know how it goes...Cheers, RickO

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens It sounds like you have been happy collecting "junk". :D I'm a bit of a junk collector as well, along with knowledge and the occasional mini-mini-splurge. If I had the financial means to collect differently, I would start by buying different/higher graded examples of what I already love.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would collect whatever you collected before, as that is what made you fall in love with the hobby. The only difference is now you can collect them in higher grade.

Good luck with whatever you decide to pursue.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2019 8:30AM

Welcome back Chris. Didn't recognize you with a new avatar. I assume that you have been stacking silvers with your new wealth. How is your arm btw? It's a good time to rest until the next season start.

Anyhow, I see no benefit of changing the collecting habit of what you enjoy the most. Throughout those rough time, it was those junks that brought you the most joys and kept you going.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file