Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

$270,000 LeBron James

I don't follow modern basketball cards, or any other modern cards, but that this was interesting.

https://goldinauctions.com/2003_04_UD__Exquisite_Collection__Patch_Parallel__-LOT54164.aspx

Comments

• Options
    fleet47fleet47 Posts: 78 ✭✭

Interesting. What will the value be 20 years from now?

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Nailed it. I had "All depends on if it turns out to be trimmed and if he can keep his mouth shut on several fronts" saved in draft form. Didn't want to bring politics in the mix, but glad someone else was thinking the same.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

$270k and all the guy gets is manufactured rarity card with the same picture on both the front and the back and a patch worn in a photo shoot. The emperor has no clothes.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm genuinely curious about this card. I don't collect modern, and no basketball at all, so this card is far from my area of interest...

Pros:

• Rookie card
    • On-card autograph
    • Patch
    • Limited to 23 copies

Cons (as I see them):

• 23 copies - kind of a lot in the modern 1/1 world
    • A meaningless patch that was worn at a photo shoot
    • According to the listing, this card is one of five in the population at this level with five higher, so essentially tied for sixth-nicest in the hobby
    • Same photo on front and back

I ask honestly and out of personal ignorance in this area, what makes this card worth anywhere near $270,000?

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    I ask honestly and out of personal ignorance in this area, what makes this card worth anywhere near $270,000?

Additional con:
    Illegible signature

Nothing about this makes any sense. I don't get the pricing of Mantle cards, but I'd much rather have two 1951 Bowman PSA 8s of him than this card. BkB collectors are sometimes a crazy bunch, but this sale seems like HOF-level Linsanity.

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Wow.. So many thoughts. At the end of the day, the "hobby" is a business.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

270k better spent on buying a decent home...better long term value and rental income.

Btw...MJ is better

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what a real $270,000 card looks like. This is the real McCoy. Without further ado....

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Would spend that kind of $ on vintage only

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Some people only learn the hard way.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Crazy, could buy a pretty nice house in most places. House or artificially scarce 2.5 x 3.5 piece of cardboard produced 10 years ago?

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Wouldnt spend that kind of money on anything right now.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@artee said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Your right, if I had to spend, it would be on vintage though

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@artee said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Your right, if I had to spend, it would be on vintage though

As are you. If I had to spend, it would definitely go towards vintage vs this.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoever it was, that 270k to them, may be equivalent to what $27 means to us.

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

It’s a nice way to launder $270k of ill gotten gains, which is what is happening with a ton of the high end new stuff. Welcome to the new economy.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2019 5:19PM

Or, the buyer might be someone with lots of disposable income, and his budget is on a completely different scale from the budget you and I live by. I see no problem with it. After all, regardless of the budget you operate under, the ones complaining here are all spending time and money buying pieces of cardboard with photographs on them (including me).

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2019 5:38PM

If I had $270,000 I would buy all of the Joe Louis cards that I don't have, and then the rest of the money I would spend on fake beards. You can never have enough fake beards.

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

It's personally very hard to trust the patches in RPAs anymore with everything that has come to light. I think it would be very valuable for Panini to create a patch database viewable to the market for at least higher end stuff like NT. Many of them are sneaking through TPGs as it's virtually impossible to detect the swap out.

As far as the LBJ- 2003 Exquisite was the first of its kind and this was obviously the most important card in the set. Insane prices are being paid across the board in sports cards in general right now so this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. A Luka Doncic RPA just went for 30k last night.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763