Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on Grade 1830 Large 0 Half Dollar

FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

Overton-121. Thoughts on grade? One minute I'm at XF45 the next minute I'm thinking its AU53-55.

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks AU in terms of details. But what are the lighter color, hazy looking areas on each side?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    The coin looks AU in terms of details. But what are the lighter color, hazy looking areas on each side?

So would you say AU55? It has some toning on both sides. Maybe from being in an envelope or lying on a piece of paper? The line on the reverse is rather straight.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you thinking pvc Mr Feld?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

@lcoopie said:
    Are you thinking pvc Mr Feld?

Possibly, but I can’t tell for certain, what I’m seeing.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@FHC said:

@MFeld said:

So would you say AU55? It has some toning on both sides. Maybe from being in an envelope or lying on a piece of paper? The line on the reverse is rather straight.

How did you get to AU55 from “The coin looks AU...”?😉 I’ll go with AU53 (details).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks as if it may have had tape across the obverse....would have to see it in hand to verify. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say AU53 detail with altered surfaces. Dark offset by odd whitish discoloration in linear pattern

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

53-55 if it straight grades.

• Options

Here are my photos of the coin.
    !

• Options

@FHC said:
    Here are my photos of the coin.
    !

>
    Cleaned.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not original surfaces

• Options

Yes, I agree. Still think AU 53 though, as far as grade?

• Options
    edited October 20, 2019 6:13AM

@FHC said:
    Yes, I agree. Still think AU 53 though, as far as grade?

I’d probably go AU50 details, but that’s secondary with a problem coin, like that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file