Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Ultimate Rattler collection

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2019 12:31PM

I don't care for rattlers but I love it, when there are beautiful, fresh coins inside of them. ;)

However, I DO like OGHs and NGC Fatties.

I don't mind, if an old holder is stickered. The only problem, in this instance, is that we will KNOW that a coin has failed, if it doesn't have one, as they are all being submitted to CAC.

I would still buy a coin like that, if I liked it enough and, if the price was in line.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any Seated or Trade dollars?

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell Amazing! I look forward to bidding on a few lots. Tell me....any proof seated quarters in the lot?

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:
    @ianrussell Amazing! I look forward to bidding on a few lots. Tell me....any proof seated quarters in the lot?

Oh yes, there's rare proof seated quarters in old holders. I don't have images of those yet.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing these "out of sight" coins.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:

@ilikemonsters said:
    I wasn't very appealed when Ian told me that the entire collection is/has been sent to CAC because if GC did not send a single coin from the collection to CAC, there would've been extremely strong prices for every coin. But now, what if something doesn't CAC? It'll probably sell for a fraction of what it would've if it wasn't ever sent to CAC. And same thing with green CAC's.

Personally I find old holders with stickers on them a bit unappealing, I like the holders to be clean, but I cannot deny the appeal of a gold CAC sticker!

Ya know, you can just peel them off.
    Who has time to check everything on the CAC population page?

What about us who don't care about the "holder" or the "sticker"...….but only go by the "coin"? :o

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2019 5:47PM

@BryceM said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    IMO, I wouldn’t CAC a group like that. The mental downside to a green sticker vs gold outweighs the upside

I've been thinking about this....... TDN has a point. The gambler in all of us would be very excited by a bunch of rattlers that had never been tried. As a consignor, I'd be really tempted to not send them. It's the same reason they're still in rattlers, actually.

I believe there is still some upside. Even green beaned, if a gambler is willing to crack these thinking that they will upgrade, and chances are good they will, then they will still bid aggressively. Many have had experiences of getting a coin beaned again at different grades. JA has said that he thinks there are too many grades after all, and he is very concerned about the surfaces. So get a green bean old holdered coin, I'd say chances are good for an upgrade and another bean....

Plus we will see how many of them get gold. That will be interesting for sure.

Very happy that GC got this consignment over the competition, good for everyone IMO.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any updates on when the items might start to be listed? Haven’t seen anything yet on the GC site

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options

@Proofmorgan said:
    Any updates on when the items might start to be listed? Haven’t seen anything yet on the GC site

We're working on at the moment. Hoping to list at least half of the coins this week. And the PR is almost done - so that will list more of them as well.

It will live up to the name of the collection.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2019 5:24PM

@ianrussell said:

@Proofmorgan said:

We're working on at the moment. Hoping to list at least half of the coins this week. And the PR is almost done - so that will list more of them as well.

It will live up to the name of the collection.

• Ian

Thanks Ian!

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    I’m a HUGE proponent of CAC. But for an original rattler hoard there’s no way that I would unless the collector had a terrible eye. A nice group of rattlers speak for themselves and the assumption will be that every coin will go up. Slap a green sticker on that and it may actually depress the price.

Bruce- I believe enough eye balls will be looking at the coins. I have seen many times coins that would not sticker as an ms65 get upgraded to ms66 or better. I have also seen countless amounts of coins with a green sticker still upgrade to the next grade.

The stickers will only help those who are not as good at grading. Those who know will not really care about the sticker if they are looking for upgrade

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any update?

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the quarter didn't CAC but the dime Ian mentioned got a gold bean

• Options

Also, perhaps, and 1873 PR Quarter Motto No Arrows that got a gold bean and 1797 half and 1883 half PR that got green beans...can't wait to see the set.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@toyz4geo said:
    I foresee auction wars!

?? ;)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

awesome

• Options
    edited November 5, 2019 12:34PM

@topstuf said:

@toyz4geo said:
    I foresee auction wars!

?? ;)

YYUUUUUUUUPPPPPP!! :D;)

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@panexpoguy said:

Poof. There went $100k

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Quarter! My goodness.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2019 11:03PM

@metalmeister said:

There’s a reason that it didn’t sticker. Looks washed out to me

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@panexpoguy said:

Poof. There went $100k

It is only fair to wait and count all the poofs and at least see the back of the quarter to see where things settle. Gold bean poofs move the bar in the opposite direction.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@metalmeister said:

Yes, I agree. I do not understand why everybody is crowing over it, the surfaces do not seem original to me from the images provided. The luster is probably quite muted.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@metalmeister said:

Yes, I agree. I do not understand why everybody is crowing over it, the surfaces do not seem original to me from the images provided. The luster is probably quite muted.

I still like it a lot, even knowing that it didn't sticker.

I'd still pay up for it, if I was in the hunt. JMHO.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@metalmeister said:

And what if it didn't sticker because it had some inactive PVC on it? A quick bath in acetone and a reholder could bring dividends. Scenario like this with several coins might explain why no more info has appeared over at GC. Ian might be addressing these items to get them resubmitted.

• Options

@panexpoguy said:

@Walkerfan said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@metalmeister said:

And what if it didn't sticker because it had some inactive PVC on it? A quick bath in acetone and a reholder could bring dividends. Scenario like this with several coins might explain why no more info has appeared over at GC. Ian might be addressing these items to get them resubmitted.

If that coin is being removed from the rattler, I would personally be conserving it with more than acetone to bring back some of the luster that is undoubtedly hiding under that coat of haze that appears to be on the coin.

• Options

If my memory serves me right, part of this set was due to be posted last week.....

Looking forward to seeing it.

• Options

I highly doubt that Ian would crack the Rattler. It is far too risky and would destroy part of the coin's appeal.

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    I highly doubt that Ian would crack the Rattler. It is far too risky and would destroy part of the coin's appeal.

My thoughts as well

Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Any updates on when coins will be listed?

• Options

At least part of the collection has been posted at GC if you care to look.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@panexpoguy said:

Do you have a link? I can’t find them on GC’s site.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@panexpoguy said:

Never mind. Found it:
    https://www.greatcollections.com/search.php?q=Ultimate&mode=product&sort=01

• Options

Based on what has been posted it's just interesting how the collector how some top pop, blow out quality coins and at the other end of the spectrum some lower quality coins lacking originality. Maybe the collector was more disciplined at times than others....just such a wide range. Overall, amazing that something like this has come to market.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

That AU50 Chain Cent!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTF? 68 day listings ???

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    WTF? 68 day listings ???

That kind of got me too. I guess I'll check back in a couple months. If I remember.

• Options

@ianrussell said:

@Meltdown said:
    WTF? 68 day listings ???

Sorry, they are not selling until January. Since we're going to start showing to people this week, we like them to be live so they can add to their watchlist etc.

• Ian

It makes sense to me. A collection like this deserves some time to simmer.

I am sure the serious buyers will be right where they need to be in 68 days. I know I will be.

• Options
    edited November 12, 2019 1:42PM

@DelawareDoons said:

@ianrussell said:

@Meltdown said:
    WTF? 68 day listings ???

Sorry, they are not selling until January. Since we're going to start showing to people this week, we like them to be live so they can add to their watchlist etc.

• Ian

It makes sense to me. A collection like this deserves some time to simmer.

I am sure the serious buyers will be right where they need to be in 68 days. I know I will be.

Yep, it's good marketing.

Given that much time to stew, it should realize some VERY STRONG prices.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:

@Meltdown said:
    WTF? 68 day listings ???

• Ian

I suppose that makes sense and I appreciate the response.
    I was ready to start drooling, drinking and bidding now though. B)

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Ian is also a collector
    He is showing us one of his collections

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    Ooh!
    This is goona be good!

But I'm dying of antici

...pation.

• Options

@Meltdown said:

@ianrussell said:

@Meltdown said:
    WTF? 68 day listings ???

• Ian

I suppose that makes sense and I appreciate the response.
    I was ready to start drooling, drinking and bidding now though. B)

You still can.

On my way to Baltimore!

• Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Everything going ok at GC? No wildfires I hope...

• Options

@Drizzt said:
    Everything going ok at GC? No wildfires I hope...

Thanks - the fires are not close to use luckily. Many miles of concrete between them and us.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb results so far!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file