Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Nice 1929 S Walking Liberty Half Dollar

Everyone's opinion on this coin and it's condition would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my series so my wag is there seems like a touch of rub so I'm going with AU58, I don't love the black spots on the obv but as this pic is huge I'm guessing those are not as obvious in hand.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slight rub on trailing leg reverse and center skirt line obverse.

An AU 58 with MS 64 eye appeal.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58 by current standards. Not a grade you see very often on pre-1934 Walkers.

All glory is fleeting.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58, nice

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with AU 58, and I really like the original looking surfaces.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@291fifth said:
    AU58 by current standards. Not a grade you see very often on pre-1934 Walkers.

Despite the low mintages, the 29D and S seem to show up in AU far more often than the other higher mintage coins of the 1920’s.

My pet theory is that many were withheld from circulation due to the financial situation of the nation after the stock mkt crash that year. They were later released during better economic times, and when collecting by date and mintmark was becoming popular, so that some were set aside while still in nice condition.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ms-62

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks Mint State to me-maybe MS63 or so. Areas of incomplete detail are tye result of deficient strike, not wear IMO.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the 58 camp, but don't really care for the coin due to all the black spots.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

63/64, nice looking coin.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

New

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is MS63.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 here

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

LCoopie = Les
  • ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2019 4:54AM

It looks 58 to me, so I think it would probably grade 62/63. [I'm a traditionalist in my heart but a realist in my head] I think they would overlook what might be minor friction wear on the skirt.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lancer_343....Welcome aboard.....My first impression is 62....I think in hand, it would look much nicer than the enlarged pictures....Cheers, RickO

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 here.

• Thank you very much everyone for sharing your opinions. I was having a hard time grading it myself , I am no expert but I was leaning towards an AU-58 as well before I posted. I paid the price of an AU-55 for it. Thank you to ricko for welcoming me aboard as well.

I’d buy walkers like that for 55 money all day long.
    Well done, and hang on to that dealer!

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

You got a great deal. I would think you would have no problem getting it into a 62 holder.

thefinn
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

my initial thought is AU58 but San Francisco Mint Walkers are sort of known for weak strikes. the in-hand inspection on such a coin would be crucial to see if any luster breaks are visible. absent that I would be with MF at MS63, probably dipped a long time ago and stored well.

this is a date I'm looking for in solid AU58.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file