Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OT: After my Indian Cent set, I Just completed the BIGGEST thing on my bucket list!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 16, 2019 7:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I hope you don't mind me posting something off topic, but I am so excited I just had to share this with you folks. When I was 17, with the help of my Dad, I bought my very first car - a 1968 California Special mustang (only 4,100 were made). My Dad thoroughly checked it out before I bought it, and gave his thumbs up approval that it was road worthy and safe for his teenage daughter to drive. He also taught me how to maintain it, helped me when it needed repairs, and later rebuilt the engine for me.

For those of you unfamiliar with the California Special, here's the story from one of the California Special forums: "'California Made it Happen!' - That was the slogan used by Ford to promote the limited edition California Special (GT/CS) Mustang in 1968. And in a nutshell it perfectly describes the beginnings of this special Mustang. It was the California Ford dealerships, with clout built on high sales volume, that got the ball rolling on the GT/California Special package. Design inspiration came from "Little Red"; a prototype built to study the possibility of creating a Shelby coupe (which never happened). So with a combination of Shelby parts and unique GT/CS parts, the California Special Mustang was born."

Any way, about 10 years later after I had a baby and having nowhere to store the car, I had to sell it for a more conventional family car. That car always reminded me of my Dad and how much he loved me, so I vowed someday I would buy another one. Well, that "someday" has finally arrived! Using some of the money my parents left me and in honor of my Dad (who passed away 1 year ago this week), I bought this new baby! Her name is "Wild Fire" (after the Michael Murphy song). I am so excited to have found this car and also emotional about finally having another one!

There are a few tweaks I will need to do, but it is just what I was looking for and I am thrilled that it's mine!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Felicidades!

Enjoy it!!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I could single out which car I would want back from my younger years. Maybe the 70 Torino GT Convertible I had?

• Options
    Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Congrats on such a special purchase. I love love old mustangs as that was my first car also. I have never heard of a California Mustang car. Enjoy the car and the special memories it will bring .

• Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 2:53PM

That is a neat story and a great looking Mustang to boot. I have no doubt you are going to enjoy the daylights out of that. My avitar is me following in the same way.

• Options
    PennyGuyPennyGuy Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

Congrats Charmy. I remember when the CS was introduced, I was living in Merced CA at the time.

"A penny hit by lightning is worth six cents". Opie Taylor

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice car...just don't let the hubby get behind the wheel.

;)

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a very nice well kept Mustang. Certainly an MS69RD!
    Congrats!!!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats....what a CHERRY bomb! I know your Dad is proud!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

Awesome memories and an awesome car!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful, and glad it happened.

My "bucket list" car would be the '64 GTO convertible. My aunt Kay bought one for her daughter and even though she lived in CA she bought it in Reno as taxes were less or the price was less or something like that. It was for "honey's" 16th birthday. She called my Mom and asked her if I could pick it up in Reno and drive it down to Corte Madera for her.....WELL, HECK YES I CAN. I picked it up and was blown away, bright red like yours and boy did she purr. Had to get instructions of breaking in the motor and followed to a tee. Got to Sacramento and got to open it up.....................OH MY she flew!

Enjoy yours everyday!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that cost a PRETTY PENNY or two CONGRATS Daddy is proud I am sure

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Charmy, beautiful car.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very neat car and looks to be in VERY great shape. Enjoy!

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 68 and Red to boot.
    I'm happy for you and for the joy of you remembering your dad.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2019 8:18PM

Sharp! Congratulations and a great tribute to your dad!

My uncle had a 1966 Mustang convertible. It was light blue with a white top.

My bucket list car is most definitely a 1971 Chevrolet SS Monte Carlo 454. Only 1919 were ever made. I think it would be cool to have a black one with a black vinyl top. Black-on-black, baby!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just WOW Charmy. Your Mustang looks to be in perfect concours condition. You were very fortunate to find that is same color as the one you owned. I am still looking for the 1964 Olds 442 that I had in college. Can't believe that I sold it and bought a VW. We come to know our cars as family and you have a very happy family reunion.

OINK

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a "Boss" car. Enjoy it and be safe. One more thing: Don't cover it with pennies like that photo of that car that appeared on the forum some time ago. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Way cool, congrats

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally awesome @ThePennyLady!

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never saw that before. Very Cool.
    Good luck !

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charmy, that's cool.

When I was 16-17(1986-87), I had a chance to buy a factory showroom new 1964 1/2 mustang from a family who owned a ford dealership here in town, of course I didn't have the money back then, and my parents didn't either. I still wish to this day I would have somehow been able to get it. had the situation arise today, I could have, even if I had to sell a coin or two!

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first car was also a Mustang Charmy. Yours is exceptional! The rear end is the only part that could've been designed a little classier IMO.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be in very good shape, nice ride!!

• Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Congrats, a beauty. Kudos to your Dad for making this so special.

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first car was a 70' Mustang. Your CS/GT is a very special car indeed!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice car,,,,, I really like it.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wicked cool car charmy. We all deserve the good things in life

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 8:07AM

Wow, somebody took very good care of it, looks great, engine looks clean....congrats !!

I have a 2015 GT and visit the MUSTANG6G.com website. You can get all the info you want on any Mustang. They would love to see your Mustang.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOVE IT! Congrats and enjoy it to the utmost!!!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins and Cars. Nice Stang! Congrats on your find. I lost my Dad too. RIP

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the color!

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Charmy....nice vehicle....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a car guy. Heck I don't even have a drivers license, but that car has a natural beauty to it.

Thanks for sharing a nice story about you and your dad. You obviously had a special relationship and great memories with him.

Congrats on you new pickup. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Charmy. I can't believe how long it's been since I've seen a door lock where you have to push a button in order to open the door.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go!

My first car was a blue 1967 mustang automatic that was jokingly called “blue smoke” since it burned oil. I had some great times in that car. It passed on and then I drove a well used econobox Datsun 510 in college. Ah, Memories.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

i am sort of a car guy and I know the California Special mustang well, one of my neighbours owned one that he kept in his garage. It was yellow though. I remember when I was in high school he had to replace the decals on it, they were found in some warehouse in the Midwest at a high price.

@ThePennyLady you mentioned your dad in your post and the first thing that came to mind was his service in WWII and being a Pearl Harbour survivor. I am sure he is somewhere in Heaven smiling with a twinkle in his eye!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! I'll bet @LucyBop would approve too.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh baby! Sweet ride. Great story. Enjoy it Charmy.

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭

Big thumbs up from this fellow Mustang enthusiast. Great story. Congratulations, Charmy!

-Chris

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wang Dang what a sweet Stang! :) Congrats!

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 2:30PM

From a life long car guy, congrats. That’s one fine ride! I built my daughter a 64 1/2 Mustang to drive to high school.

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

Very Cool car!

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    StupidStupid Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Great story and nice car. Congratulations!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad that you got one. My first car was a1967 Mustang when I was a Senior in High School.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Now start roasting burnouts that look like Indian cents on the street!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm mostly a European car guy. I'm into Fiat's/ Alfa's/VW's but that's a really nice looking Mustang! Congrats!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file