Home U.S. Coin Forum

1972 DD

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got into some good customer wrapped rolls this evening that are mostly 70's and 80's copper and with several gems.
Then second to last roll of the hot color wrappers I found this '72 and I need help identifying.
I think it is either 103 or 108??

Best Answer

Answers

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

Collector, occasional seller

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever

Very nice find!

Check for the diagnostics (die scratches/gouges at variety vista) to match the FS#.

That scratch under the date (7)... ouch, looks like a staple scratch?

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like die 3.
    8 has more obvious doubling in the date.
    Nice find @CoinscratchFever .

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2019 8:00AM

I found 14 more rolls of the same wrapper and then opened up another type which comprises most of the 3 boxes and got the same results. 60, 70, 80's Hopefully the party's not over yet.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find.... Good luck with the rest of the rolls....Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Nice find.... Good luck with the rest of the rolls....Cheers, RickO

Thanks!

edited October 16, 2019 10:32AM

Judging by the condition of those '84's at the top I'd say that's about when these were rolled up.

Just noticed a few late 90's coins- There goes that thought.

@ChrisH821 said:
    Judging by the condition of those '84's at the top I'd say that's about when these were rolled up.

There were some newer models sprinkled in there but, mostly 80's. I think this was an ozarka bottle stash finally rolled up and taken to the bank. The hole ran dry and this is a pick of the best ones, there were a lot more (not shown) of the heartbreakers that looked perfect except for carbon spots.

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ChrisH821 said:

There were some newer models sprinkled in there but, mostly 80's. I think this was an ozarka bottle stash finally rolled up and taken to the bank. The hole ran dry and this is a pick of the best ones, there were a lot more (not shown) of the heartbreakers that looked perfect except for carbon spots.

That cent almost dead center... what is going on with the date.

@Hemispherical . I saw that too and just assumed it was cell phone jitters. I have to narrow it down a few more times (cull out more carbon & weak strikes) then hopefully a few of these will get their PCGS glamour shots.
    I currently have some others getting their pics done that I'm pretty excited about. Praying for 68 and 9's. O'lord is a 70 too much to ask for o:)

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Hemispherical . I saw that too and just assumed it was cell phone jitters. I have to narrow it down a few more times (cull out more carbon & weak strikes) then hopefully a few of these will get their PCGS glamour shots.
    I currently have some others getting their pics done that I'm pretty excited about. Praying for 68 and 9's. O'lord is a 70 too much to ask for o:)

Jitters! That reminded me to get some more caffeine.

Those ‘85 (center-ish) has some, what appears to be, heavy duty die polish lines.

Far left, ‘80 has mark that has the appearance of a “coffee cup“ stain (have caffeine on the mind). :D

Please do post your pending results, too!

@Hemispherical . Are die polish lines a bad thing? I think I'll grab a second cup too. Playing golf today and its a blistering cold 65 degress here in So. TX. so... :D

edited October 17, 2019 8:32AM

@Hemispherical said:
    Those ‘85 (center-ish) has some, what appears to be, heavy duty die polish lines.

That's exactly it. Not too long ago I picked up a few old rolls of 1985 cents and a lot of them had extensive die scratches just like that one. They are actually pretty cool looking.

My question is, is that 86-D to the right PL? It is reflecting light differently than the others.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find on the 1972!!!

Congrats, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

@ChrisH821 said:

@Hemispherical said:

That's exactly it. Not too long ago I picked up a few old rolls of 1985 cents and a lot of them had extensive die scratches just like that one. They are actually pretty cool looking.

My question is, is that 86-D to the right PL? It is reflecting light differently than the others.

It does look like that, maybe its missing the polish lines.
    I know its not a good pick but, what do you think about the 65. Those sixties seem to have a lot of lines.

@divecchia . Thank You! It is my first Lincoln DD and second overall. The other was '63 25C minor variety of some sort.
    Definitely cool to be on the board finally.

@ChrisH821 . Almost forgot, The top right '79 D has like a die chip or something between the edge and Lincoln's shoulder.

Here is an un-cropped picture with truer light conditions. I think.

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Hemispherical . Are die polish lines a bad thing? I think I'll grab a second cup too. Playing golf today and its a blistering cold 65 degress here in So. TX. so... :D

Not a bad thing, it is just a curiosity of what Mint workers do to maintain the production of coins. Overall good stuff. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file