Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Of these four Capped Bust Half Dimes, which do you think got a Details - Cleaned designation?

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

Post both sides?

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

For our intents and purposes assume the details grade is based on the obverse.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins love them :)
    I’m thinking D

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with B.

Larry

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a trick question with the pictures! That being said...I'm going with C since in the pictures it is the least likely choice!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

D

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

All four have been wiped?

I'll guess D.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously....the 1832! :grin:

May be a case where you need to see them in hand to determine which just have wear, and which has parallel lines indicative of cleaning...

But I'll go with D. Something about the area in front of the mouth that catches my eye.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

B

• Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

Ill go with B . To me looks a bit off , a bit too uniform. Perhaps light hairlines ? All nice coins. Enjoy.

BT&C
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

They all look cleaned to me.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

B is the most obviously cleaned, so I will eliminate B.
    Guess is A.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know this series but I will go with coin 3 as cleaned..

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

B

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toss up for me between B & D, but I will say B.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

B

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

B seems to have wipe marks/hairlines on the portrait, D looks dipped.
    B is my guess.

Good post - Where is Insider's guess?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

A has some possible wipe lines, I will go with that. As always, photography is make or break when it comes to detecting cleaning.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think B or D

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughtful post, so far.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

All of them, rhey are the same coin under different light and shutter speeds?

• Options

@Moxie15 said:
    All of them, rhey are the same coin under different light and shutter speeds?

All 4 are different coins.

• Options

Im gonna go with the 1832 as well

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based solely on the pictures, how can anyone tell?

These need to be examined under a strong light source and at different angles.

Total guessing game, in my opinion.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of them

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pokermandude said:
    Post both sides?

Yeah, post the edges too? o:)

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

Complete guess given the incomplete information would be A.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

Thank you I appreciate all of your comments based only on the provided photos. I'm using this all to learn. Coin D has the Details - Cleaned designation. I bought coin D last night at the Heritage weekly. I did so after reviewing dozens of photos of similar straight graded coins, like the ones posted above, as well as the 1 capped bust half dime that I currently own. I'll have the coin in hand to compare in a week or less. Thanks for playing! ;)

Coin A

Coin B

Coin C

Coin D

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Random thoughts:

• It really was a shot in the dark. Don't think the photos alone made any one of them jump out. Particularly since we are ASSUMING the offending area(s) are only on the obverse. Still, a good test of our thinking processes....
    • The fact that one CAC'ed means those who decided they were ALL cleaned are being too strict/harsh. (I know...CAC isn't perfect either. But assuming TWO failures, PCGS and CAC, seems like a long shot).
    • Not to start a fight, or anything....but I think there is a segment of uncirculated, or high end, collectors who don't know what a lightly circulated coin looks like? :wink:
    • And....since I'm wrong more often than right....I'm going to do a "happy dance" for picking the right coin, even if it was just by chance. :blush:
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one with the huge patch of hairlines on the reverse.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    The one with the huge patch of hairlines on the reverse.

OK here are the reverse images. Coin D has the Cleaned designation. I'll definitely take a look under the stereomicroscope when I receive it and also compare to the one other I have. Thanks.

Coin A

Coin B

Coin C

Coin D

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said: "Not to start a fight, or anything....but I think there is a segment of uncirculated, or high end, collectors who don't know what a lightly circulated coin looks like?"

I think its a case of choosing to ignore the "rub."

• Options

Hi @Insider2 do you see the "rub" on the obverse or reverse of coin D? Appreciate your opinion.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the game, but I thought D looked cleaned....I got lucky - it was a tough choice. Cheers, RickO

• Options

As a follow up, here are those hairlines from wipe marks that resulted in the details grade

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's it? wow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file