Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strong price for 55% off center 1980-P MS62 dime?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 15, 2019 7:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I ran across the following dime being offered for $5k. Is this a standard price for this type of coin? It seems kind of high given other modern off-center errors I've seen but I don't know much about these.

What is driving the price for this?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/37256805

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! @ErrorsOnCoins would know.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless this 80-P is 'unique' for that degree of off-center strike, the cost associated with certification and TrueView is greater than the value of the coin. I vote for an eBay seller with no idea as to real value.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    Unless this 80-P is 'unique' for that degree of off-center strike, the cost associated with certification and TrueView is greater than the value of the coin. I vote for an eBay seller with no idea as to real value.

Good guess but some dates can be very tough with specific errors.

I don't know about this one.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

That price is nothing more than wishful thinking, the seller should consider themselves lucky to recoup the certification fees on that one.

A few years ago I built an O/C clad dime set that was about 80% complete from 1965 to 2000, and that was not a hard date to find. IMHO that date raw is a $15-25 coin at the top end.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow / you really never know what stuff will bring sometimes.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin but don't like the price none to much

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way is that a $5K coin....As stated above, one can 'ask' for any amount... It will not sell for that. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a cool coin, but certainly not $5K cool. Maybe we should offer him some at $4K so he can flip them.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dream on seller, dream on

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn. I didn't pay attention to the "fine print" in the OP. I thought it sold for that price and was getting all excited about the significant increase in value of my 1982-D 50% O/C quarter. :'(

Oh well, I can still dream.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tears for whomever buys at that price.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tears for whomever buys at that price.

(It won't be me.) :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I notice we> @seanq said:

That price is nothing more than wishful thinking, the seller should consider themselves lucky to recoup the certification fees on that one.

A few years ago I built an O/C clad dime set that was about 80% complete from 1965 to 2000, and that was not a hard date to find. IMHO that date raw is a $15-25 coin at the top end.

Sean Reynolds

Why didn’t you reach 100%? Got bored or did they get hard to find?

• Options
    edited October 15, 2019 7:45PM

I did notice the reverse has a nice saying. Perhaps the seller is hoping for a prayer?

O States of Amen!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file