Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picked up a 1965 SMS half at a local.....

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show that has the thickest frost I have ever seen on a 1965. The coin needs a bath to remove cloudy haze. If it cleans up nicely it should be an amazing Cameo or possibly even a DCAM.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing the results. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Looking forward to seeing the results. Peace Roy

+1

• Options

Attached are photos of both sides of the 65; and photos of both sides of a similar 67 SMS half I also picked up. Both are very hazy and they both should clean up nicely with a bath.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it should dip out nicely but some of what appears to be frost is almost certainly haze which will reduce the thickness somewhat.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it might be a very beautiful coin under there.

Will you dip it in MS70 or something else?

Do nice DCams still bring good money anywhere? I know these are very scarce but the market is very thin as well.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing what it becomes after haze removal. Cheers, RickO

• Options

As is par for the course Keets is likely correct. Removing the haze will likely show the frosted devices are not as thick or heavy as they appear.

What is fun is finding coins like these two half dollars, looking closely at them, assessing what is under the haze (both look very promising to me), giving them a bath and seeing the reality underneath the haze.

Now I just need to order and receive a new supply of dip, so I can give both coins a bath.

I will post "after" pics.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

There are a few of these coins that look like proofs. They are rare, expensive and very underrated coins.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used to be that you could go into a coin shop and select the best SMS sets out of a bunch of them and buy them.

Dealers have gotten wise now and culled the sets with nice coins.

Hindsight, indeed, is 20/20.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very hard to find frosted coins in '65 SMS sets. I've only found a few in decades.

A agree that @keets has it right once the haze is removed.

For comparison, here is my '65 in 65 dcam - purchased on Teletrade in 2002.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

it never hurts to buy sets with coins like this. I have a 1962 Proof Set and a 1966 SMS Set waiting at the shop, they both have heavily frosted Half-Dollars and I'll most likely just keep the sets intact. these type of coins are prohibitively scarce compared to how many were struck. some like 1962 seem common but 1965 DCAM's will have their day.

• Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I think the 1967 will clean up better, because its haze is more even; however, the 1965 is going to be a challenge. I see multiple milk spots along with the haze so all of them may not be removable. I just bought a 1964 set because the half is a nice cameo, but when I got it home, discovered a milk spot on the reverse, so I'll likely leave it intact in the set. With a spot, the coin will probably not grade higher than a 67. Best of luck though and looking forward to seeing how the coins come out. These years are a challenge, but that is part of the fun.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love The Kennedy Cameo! Any year, esp. the SMS's. Good Luck. <3B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2019 9:18PM

Well I gave the 1965 and 1967 SMS half dollars a bath. Both coins are stunning in appearance. The frost is of DCAM quality IMO and on top of that both have deeply mirrored fields.

Photos of both SMS halves attached along with a 1964 Cameo or DCAM proof half for comparison.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

They came out nicer than I thought they would.
    Nice job.

• Options

Thanks Mannie Grey.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very nice!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Thanks Mannie Grey.

You're welcome.
    The 1965 is really deep.
    How's the reverse?
    I can't really tell from the image.

• Options

they look nice but angled satellite photos aren't the best way to evaluate a coin.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

The reverse of the 65 is the same as the obverse.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done, SanctionII ... from a guy who likes Kennedy halves A Lot.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I think you did really well for yourself with those coins. Can't wait to get together and look at those in hand. They cleaned up really well.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like all three as potential dcams. Nice pickups!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

GOOD looking coins. Given the degree of difficulty I particularly like the '65.

• Options

I feel very fortunate to have found these two SMS half dollars and purchased them. These two half dollars are some of the highest quality SMS Cameo half dollars that I have found after 20+ years of looking.

Thanks for the props folks.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 7:08AM

I am surprised how well they cleaned up, I wouldn't have given them much chance of cleaning up that nicely.

They have great contrast, but I'm not thinking the fields will be deep enough for DCAM designations, though I'd think they should both comfortably make CAM. My biggest challenge with many of the contrasted 1965 halves I have found are what appear to be imperfections in the fields that appear to be struck through oil or something similar. But I have been fortunate to make several 1965 cameos. Here's my current best for each date:

1965 SP67 CAM QA

1967 SP67 DCAM

• Options
    edited October 17, 2019 7:25AM

They have great contrast, but I'm not thinking the fields will be deep enough for DCAM designations

this is what many collectors don't understand. when a coin has heavy frost it also needs to have clean, deeply reflective fields that give it that "watery" look. the look embodied by the 1965 SP67Cam above typically means the fields are starting to deteriorate.

• Options

Don and Keets are correct.

The fields on SMS coinage are usually impaired in some manner, thus preventing a Cameo or a DCAM designation.

For 1965 SMS half dollars there almost always seems to be impairments in the fields.

My newly acquired 1965 half dollar has the best fields I have seen.

I will take better photos of these newly acquired SMS coins and post them later today.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice PU's. They cleaned up really well, I'll trade ya :)

• Options

Better photos of the 1967; and photos of a similar 1966.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 65 cleaned up very nicely...a very solid CAM for sure.

Bummer about the hits on the 67.

Looks like that 66 may be a DDO?

• Options
    Skrill90Skrill90 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

think you got a cam for sure. I see some weird spotting in the fields, that may hold it back from dcam in my opinion.
    See this dcam for comparison
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-KENNEDY-HALF-DOLLAR-50C-SMS-PCGS-CERTIFIED-SP-67-DCAM-DEEP-CAMEO-735/372409934676?hash=item56b55ca354:g:tMgAAOSwantboBZ6:sc:USPSFirstClass!94010!US!-1

• Options

The pictured 1966 is not a DDO. I do have two possible Cameo 1966 SMS halves that are the DDO variety. Those were fun cherry picks from many years ago.

The 1967 DCAM half listed on EBay is the Dot Head Variety that Russ, at one time, was obsessed with. I have never found a Dot Head Half.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file