Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

PCGS Submission Results - World Chopmarked Coins

Put together my first personal submission of chopmarked coins, that just came back to me. Wanted to share some results!

1757 Mexico City 2 Reales (Ferd. VII), AU Detail - Beautifully preserved example, one of just a couple minors that I didn't even think of selling when I decided to focus exclusively on chopmarked crowns. Single chop on obverse, drill mark on reverse. Great color, Ex-Bohol Collection.

1794 Westfriesland (Netherlands) 3 Gulden, XF Detail - Pretty difficult to locate these domestic Netherlands issues with genuine Chinese chops. This one has some nice originality and a convincing array of chops, including one hidden in the crown on the reverse.

1796 Santiago 4 Reales (Carl. IV), XF Detail - Both 4 Reales and Chilean issues are relatively rare independently, but the combination of the two is extremely rare. Ex-Bohol Collection.

1853 Mexico City 8 Reales, VF Detail - Pre-1860 Cap & Rays are far less common than later date examples, but this particular coin has the distinction of being featured as a plate coin in F.M. Rose's original publication on the subject, Chopmarks, information now included on the label. Many of the coins featured in Rose book disappeared into collections soon after the sale of his original collection without comprehensive records and have yet to reappear, having been picked up by dedicated collectors with knowledge of their true rarity, creating a sort of scavenger hunt for interested collectors.

(1890-1908) Kwangtung Dragon Dollar, Heaton Dies, AU Detail - Dragon Dollars have radically increased in both popularity and price over recent years given their attractive designs and the interest from the Chinese market. This example has choice AU surfaces, two well-struck and interesting chops that don't interfere with the design, and an interesting variety linked to the earliest striking of this type based off of dies created in England. A great representative for the series.

1893 Peruvian Sol - An interesting later issue, this South American type is certainly not common but is obtainable with some searching. However, they are not often found in this type of shape, with such originality and subtle color. This example I was fortunate to pick up out of an Australian-based auctioneer's collection.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins. Is there a particular reference work you consult to attribute chopmarks? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Nice coins. Is there a particular reference work you consult to attribute chopmarks? Peace Roy

The chops themselves, not really. Both Rose's 'Chopmarks' and Gullberg's 'Chopmarked Coins - A History' are good for the history of the practice, the evolution of the marks by era, and the types they can be found on. Unless they actually include the name of the merchant (or bank, etc.), no records have been preserved identifying the exact source of individual chops. Being exposed to a number of existing coins does help build up an eye for authenticity, if the wear on marks matches the wear on the host, and the if the style matches the era that a coin would have supposedly circulated in.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades I love all of these, especially the 2 reales and the Peru Sol. You're chopmarked set is really coming along in terms of quality, well done!!

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, awesome group. The dragon dollar and 2R are my favorite...