Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC Results- 40 Sent in

FlackthatFlackthat Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 10, 2019 9:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I thought I would share my recent CAC Results. I submitted 40 coins and received 31 Green-2 Gold. A large majority of these were either PCGS Rattler, PCGS OGH or NGC Fatty.
The 2 Gold ones were a 1881 S MS63 Rattler (common for Gold) and a 1935-D PCGS MS66 Texas Commemorative

ANA Member
PCGS Platinum Member

_Successful BST transactions with:
McGrump, Spummybum, Tightbudget, JasonRiffeRareCoins, PerryHall, Blu62vette, Sandman70gt, BobSav, Dscoin, Pnies20, JTHawaii, Meltdown

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @Flackthat!

82.5% is a great average!

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some pretty good results, congrats.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice results, congrats on the two gold beans. Interesting pass/fail ratio for the two tpgs.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice going!

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!!!

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!
    The old holders/grading as I’m sure you knew seem to have a higher pass rate then current holders/grading of course. I’ve only seen gold beans on rattlers personally.

Awesome!

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great results, they do like the old holdered coins. I have batted 100% on old holder submissions to CAC. Keep in mind though that there are still some dogs in these holders, so it looks like you chose carefully when buying old holder coins.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow great pass right! 2 gold as well!!! Nice. What was turnaround?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

When will the 5 be on BST? ;)

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great results, good job!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice odds, congrats

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are great results, over 80% success.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done!

• Options
    Skrill90Skrill90 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

Well done!!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats - thanks for sharing.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well chosen submissions. Congrats.

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Great Job! glad to see that some buffs made the list too.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great percentage.

Congratulations on your success rate.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been running around 20% so I'm real jealous. :(

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Texas is one of my top two commens.
    Please post an image of your 35D...PLEASE!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, great results, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Nice results, congrats on the two gold beans. Interesting pass/fail ratio for the two tpgs.

Interestingly, the pass/fail rates are not significantly different.

Great overall rate, congrats!

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    JGRCJGRC Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Do you think the common date Morgans, in old holders with MS63 - MS65 grades, are worth more with a CAC sticker or more without a CAC sticker? I think part of the appeal of old holders is the potential for upgrade. If a green CAC sticker implies the coin is solid for the grade, would a high-end coin without a CAC sticker, in an old holder, appear to have more upgrade potential?

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent results. Your PCGS slabs can be brought back. If slab renew or PLAST-X don't do it you can start with 2000 grit sandpaper and get the scuffs out then polish........BY HAND!!

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

concaculations.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

@Flackthat said:

Unfortunately, there is a "scuff" on the reverse of the slab. Has anyone ever had luck with Slab-Renew?

Get that coin reholdered and CAC will resticker at a reduced fee

• Options

@fiftysevener said:

Terrible advice, worth more in the old holder by far.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@Aercus said:

@coinbuf said:

90% pass rate for one tpg, 80% for the other, I would call a ten percent difference significant for this small a sample.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2019 9:28AM

@coinbuf said:

@fiftysevener said:

There is lots of old holders out there you can collect; many with upside down coins in them. They are not rare. I prefer to collect the coins I like and they show better in new clean holders. The numbers on the holder give some idea as to when they were certified.

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@Aercus said:

@coinbuf said:

90% pass rate for one tpg, 80% for the other, I would call a ten percent difference significant for this small a sample.

When I say significant I mean mathematically speaking. Z score is less than 1 so not significant. It would be very interesting to get a larger sample size though. Maybe worth a new thread?

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must have the best eye for coins... congratulations.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JGRC said:
    Do you think the common date Morgans, in old holders with MS63 - MS65 grades, are worth more with a CAC sticker or more without a CAC sticker? I think part of the appeal of old holders is the potential for upgrade. If a green CAC sticker implies the coin is solid for the grade, would a high-end coin without a CAC sticker, in an old holder, appear to have more upgrade potential?

Not necessarily indicative of a no upgrade potential. There are many fine old holdered coins with the green bean that might upgrade upon a reconsideration submission and then would be restickered green by CAC. Has happened to me and many others.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@fiftysevener said:

@coinbuf said:

@fiftysevener said:

There is lots of old holders out there you can collect; many with upside down coins in them. They are not rare. I prefer to collect the coins I like and they show better in new clean holders. The numbers on the holder give some idea as to when they were certified.

What you decide to do because of your own personal likes and desires with the coins in your possession is your decision, but advising others (especially in the case of a new collector) to spend money on new holders which may reduce the marketplace value of those coins is terrible advice. Most buyers look at the holder not the cert number to see if its an old holder and like it or not old holders; even those that are scuffed and scratched can bring a premium at time of sale even if the coin in the holder has no chance of an upgrade. And you are also quite wrong in your assumption that there are lots of old holders out there with undergraded coins in them. True there are some older holders still in older held collections with undergraded gems, but many out in the marketplace are the tired retreads that have no chance of upgrades or are not financially viable to upgrade.

@Aercus said:

@coinbuf said:

@Aercus said:

@coinbuf said:

When I say significant I mean mathematically speaking. Z score is less than 1 so not significant. It would be very interesting to get a larger sample size though. Maybe worth a new thread?

I understand you and don't disagree, but its my assumption that many perhaps even most cases, the submissions to CAC by collectors and dealers is less than 50 coins total. Also in many such cases the coins submitted are hand picked vs sending in ones total collection all at once which is a big factor. If I'm correct then these small sample sizes are all we can use and thus the ratios are of interest even tho we know that small samples are not significant in a true mathematical sense.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the others that say 'leave in the ogh'!!

I have used slab renew with some good results. It has some grittyness to it. Might have to use a few times, depending on the damage. Make sure you stay away from the hologram. Use a polish after the slab renew to get it to really shine. Good luck, and congrats on your cac success.
    B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭

I’d ignore the pass rates per submission. Judge each coin on its own and make a call if you think it will sticker or not. Keep track of your results. If you are consistently off, ask questions and Learn.

Collecting since 1976.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file