Home Sports Talk
Options

A funny thing happened on the way to the World Series.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone made a mistake and forgot to send the e-mail to the LA Dodgers, you know, the one that says they actually have to win each series to earn the right to play in the WS. Now I'm wondering, did the Houston Astros also not get that message??

We shall have the answer to that tonight around 10PM EDT. These MLB playoff series' are interesting and prop up the idea that "the sum of the whole may be greater than the sum of the individual parts" when considering Team sports. The Dodgers and Astros have seemed like the better Teams all season --- BUT --- the games still have to be played.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

Not exactly sure what it is but the Dodgers seem to be missing something in the postseason. When you lose a game 5 at home in extra innings and your closer (supposed to best the best pitcher in the pen) doesn't pitch at all.....in my mind the manager didn't use all his best resources.

Houston with Cole on the mound should be the favorite tonight, but you still have to play the game. In one game, anything can happen.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    Not exactly sure what it is but the Dodgers seem to be missing something in the postseason. When you lose a game 5 at home in extra innings and your closer (supposed to best the best pitcher in the pen) doesn't pitch at all.....in my mind the manager didn't use all his best resources.

Maybe he took some advice from Baldoofus! ;-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

logically, the Home Team just doesn't get an opportunity to use the closer in extra inning games if he hasn't been used in the 9th, that's just the way it goes. managers will tend to go with someone who can pitch for longer than just three outs and closers aren't built like that.

• Options

Never agreed with that strategy. For my money, he's pitching either the 9th or 10th. If he gets the side out, he's gives a chance to win the game. I just don't get it. Like going to a gun fight against six guys, fire five bullets and save the last one while still taking on fire.

• Options

Face it, the analytical bean counters have taken over the game.

Do you think there will ever be a situation like Jack Morris' performance in game 7 of the 1991 WS?

Baseball may not be dead, but it's dying.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both League Championship's should be real good.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Both League Championship's should be real good.

Yea, as long as the Yankees lose. ;)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball is an erratic game. Tough to be the best through three playoff series even if statistically you are the most talented team.

162 games whittles the post season down to ten teams. Four would be better. Two would be best.

• Options

OK, Commissioner Coinstartled, please give us the new AL/NL alignment to facilitate your playoff set-up.

• Options

Two isn't enough, Mr. Commissioner. Regular season becomes pretty boring in August and Sept for most teams. Let's get back to the days where there are more stolen bases, hit and runs, advancing runners etc. Can we have a minimum # of SB/hit and run attempts per game? Anything to get away from the launch angles and exit velocities etc.

• Options

it isn't the playoffs that are the problem. when a regular season consisting of 162 games, with five Teams /Division, ends with multiple Teams at 40+ games out of first something needs to be fixed.

• Options
    edited October 12, 2019 10:23AM

@Coinstartled said:
    Baseball is an erratic game. Tough to be the best through three playoff series even if statistically you are the most talented team.

162 games whittles the post season down to ten teams. Four would be better. Two would be best.

That's the way it use to be. There were 2 League's...NL & AL. The winner of each played in the WS. It's all about money now. If they do anything they will add teams.

• Options

it would appear through the games thus far that Pitching may return to center stage. the Nationals have no-hit the Cardinals for about 15 innings and the Yankees so far have gotten almost an equal Game 1 dominance of the Astros.

the old adage may be true --- good Pitching will beat good Hitting.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

4 teams who won over 100 games. 2 are out now. 1 more will be out after the Yank/Stros playoff series. So 1 will be left. Could be a sub 100 win team wins the WS.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Yanks look to be the best team out there.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Will look a lot different when the Astros throw Cole and Verlander out there.
    I really think this will be the only game the Yankees win.
    Astros offense just too good to shut down for more than one game.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@keets said:
    it would appear through the games thus far that Pitching may return to center stage. the Nationals have no-hit the Cardinals for about 15 innings and the Yankees so far have gotten almost an equal Game 1 dominance of the Astros.

How about a new adage Grienke=over rated.

Without looking it up (always dangerous) he never seemed that great when he pitched against the Twins.

I missed the early part of the game, so maybe he pitched great?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    OK, Commissioner Coinstartled, please give us the new AL/NL alignment to facilitate your playoff set-up.

too late , I posted it in another thread. Ditch half the teams cut the season exactly in half and make the games 6 innings instead of nine.

I know some stat goons will say oh but all the records are based on 9 innings , to that I say who cares about records or any game that already ended.

MLB has no future if they don't fix the boring

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been a red sox fan my whole life but I no longer watch any regular season baseball. One its too boring , the games are too long and the players are pansys . And two , its all on pay TV which I refuse to pay for.

Now they are not in the post season so fine but half the playoff games are on pay tv .

When baseball built its massive fan base it was the only game in town that you could either hear on the radio or see on tv with an antenna. Now not only do they move day games to night to squeeze the kids out , and add an hour to them or more to make the adults fall asleep , but they are not on TV .

What a stupid plan MLB , congratulations you have the dumbest leadership of any sport by far.

Not watching the mind numbing regular season breaks my connection to my team , but just in case I felt like watching other teams in the playoffs you make sure they aren't on my TV :D

As far as TV goes , there are levels to pay TV , maybe at least have them on basic cable morons.

MLB network is 4 layers deep in the extra fees of a cable package idiots.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@keets said:

How about a new adage Grienke=over rated.

Without looking it up (always dangerous) he never seemed that great when he pitched against the Twins.

I missed the early part of the game, so maybe he pitched great?

If the Yankee's would have laid off the low and outside pitches by Grienke he would have walked in 10 more runs!

• Options
    edited October 15, 2019 8:31PM

@Darin said:

@DIMEMAN said:

And done. Astros lead 2 games to 1.
    Astros should finish them off 4 games to 1.
    Yankees just won't shut down Astro's offense from here on out.

Edit: Responding to post where dimeman said yankees look to be the best team out there.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Darin said:

@Darin said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Edit: Responding to post where dimeman said yankees look to be the best team out there.

Yanks will still win it. They should not have lost Game 2. That is on Boone. Why he took Green out leading 2-1 is beyond stupid!

• Options

Astros have too much pitching , to go with a very deep lineup and one of the hottest hitters in the playoffs.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2019 3:32AM

to go with a very deep lineup and one of the hottest hitters in the playoffs.

though the Astros are up 2-1 they aren't really hitting the cover off the ball and have been outscored by the Yankees. the difference is one good pitching performance by a probable CYA winner, that's it. remember, that "deep line-up" was shutout-out 7-0 and then needed extra innings home to win 3-2 AT HOME!! in three games thus far they have scored a little over 2 runs/per game, far below their 5+ scored during the regular season.

the Yankees are actually hitting a bit better than Houston.............................so far, but that isn't surprising since pitching typically dominates.

• Options

I could be wrong but I felt like the Astros just needed a little momentum.
    I expect their bats to wake up and I think tonight they'll score a lot of runs.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

$100 they don't score a single run tonight.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@Darin said:

Well that was disappointing. All day at work was looking forward to this game,
    now you tell me it was postponed.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

@Darin said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@Darin said:

Well that was disappointing. All day at work was looking forward to this game,
    now you tell me it was postponed.

Just another reason all Parks should have lids on them.

• Options

How about that deep lineup now! That was against the best the Yanks had to offer. And their pitching is a constant.

• Options

missed the whole game but it looks like the Astros got the hits they needed at the right time!!! George Springer hitting .118 and Carlos Correa hitting .176 shouldn't be anything to fear, but the hits they have gotten have been big ones at the right time. looks like the Yankees are on the ropes right now. :#

• Options

apparently in these Modern Playoff Series' when Teams rely almost exclusively on two starters the offense eventually catches up. yesterday the Astros caught Tanaka and today the Yankees have caught Verlander.

that seems to give the edge to Houston, heading home with Gerritt Cole waiting in the wings. NOBODY has caught him since late spring!!

• Options

GO YANKEE's !!!

• Options

we have arrived at the "All Hands On Deck" period of the MLB season, and the Yankees rose to task last night. this evening in Houston should be electric, topped only maybe by games 5-6-7 of the World Series.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nationals fan here. Most people say they dont stand a chance. I'm just happy to see them make the World Series.

• Options

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Nationals fan here. Most people say they dont stand a chance. I'm just happy to see them make the World Series.

I think they have a good chance.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2019 9:32AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

@Darin said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Yanks will still win it. They should not have lost Game 2. That is on Boone. Why he took Green out leading 2-1 is beyond stupid!

The Yanks still didn't win it.
    I did call the series 4 games to 1 in favor of Houston,
    but I was close. A lot closer than your prediction.
    Goodbye Yanks, sweet not having to watch them in the world series.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:

Being the underdog and the cinderella story, I'm liking their chances, actually. Entire rotation and bullpen looks great. With Robles getting a decent break to get healthy, the veterans like Kendrick & Zimmerman keep having those at bats and young guys like Taylor stepping it up coupled with the knockout, 3-4 punches of Rendon>Soto it should be very close call. Rendon having grown up in Houston couldn't hurt either.

• Options

@artee said:

@WingedLiberty1957 said:

Being the underdog and the cinderella story, I'm liking their chances, actually. Entire rotation and bullpen looks great. With Robles getting a decent break to get healthy, the veterans like Kendrick & Zimmerman keep having those at bats and young guys like Taylor stepping it up coupled with the knockout, 3-4 punches of Rendon>Soto it should be very close call. Rendon having grown up in Houston couldn't hurt either.

I think the Nationals have a very good chance of winning this series.

• Options

As just a plain baseball fan, it's been a very good series. Great starting pitching, timely hitting, good defense for the most part. It's been nice to see the hitters grind out AB's against these tough pitchers. Fitting to end in a game 7.