Home Precious Metals
Options

Modern $5 gold commemorative

Are these worth picking up at essentially melt?

Better sticking to generic old gold?

Or go with 1/10 ounce gold eagles

LCS has been sitting on some modern for awhile, can likely get it for melt, as generic old gold is usually melt+2%.

Curious as to “buy it it’s gold” or “stay away, no one wants it except maybe refiners”

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s at melt I say pick it up

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    jimineez1jimineez1 Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

I've owned many through the years. Not my favorite, but fine to buy at/below melt and fairly easy to sell for at/slightly above melt. They are less likely to be fake compared to raw old gold imho. Also they have no wear which is nice.

Also, I wouldn't pay the premium for 1/10 eagles from a lcs

Almost Over 100 successful deals on this forum spanning well over 10 years now, feel free to ask for references!
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it can be had for spot (or less) then I’d get it.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not hesitate picking up modern gold commems at or below melt... a well known standard purity, issued by government, less likely to be fake, not hard to sell.

----- kj
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not, very easy to sell if required and usually a very small margin between buy and sell.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold commemorative at melt is a good deal.....should be easy to turn a small profit on it....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

I have bought them 2 of them before (Mt Rushmore) at melt. I just bought 2014 3/4 ounce Kennedy .9999 at melt this past weekend. I know Its a odd-size at 3/4 ounce but it's in a NGC-PF69 holder and I paid no premium.

MIKE B.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stack outside the box and capsules, at that price. In tubes, preferably.

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments. Picked up a generic old $5 gold coin today, but the modern commems still sitting there. Perhaps next visit.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimpleCollector said:
    Thanks for the comments. Picked up a generic old $5 gold coin today, but the modern commems still sitting there. Perhaps next visit.

Post pics if you buy them so we know what kinds you get

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t get to add stuff that often, but slowly buying different 10 ounce silver bars. I have been buying at LCS for years, so always get a deal...Today, got these at melt.

• Options
    jimineez1jimineez1 Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Stack outside the box and capsules, at that price. In tubes, preferably.

I used to keep them in the capsule to keep them pristine, but throw the box in the basement. The capsuled coins would stack nicely in a tube that was for half dollars I think.... Maybe 6-8 coins per tube...I can't recall.

Almost Over 100 successful deals on this forum spanning well over 10 years now, feel free to ask for references!