Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on an 1880 cc morgan

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a customer who wants this coin for his registry set. He wants me to send it in to get a poor 1 grade. I told him it's not a poor 1 but a fair 2. Am I right or wrong in your opinion? If I send it in and it does come back a fair 2 are there still registry set people who would want this or do they only want poor 1 for the lowball sets. I'm not real familiar with the "wants" of low ball registry set collectors

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reverse is PO01 but the obverse appears to be a Fair 2. Too much date showing. How is that obverse scratch? Looks like the obverse has been messed with.....
    Aw, maybe it's just the pics.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Reverse is PO01 but the obverse appears to be a Fair 2. Too much date showing. How is that obverse scratch? Looks like the obverse has been messed with.....
    Aw, maybe it's just the pics.
    bob :)

I was hoping you would give your opinion..... the scratch shows alot more in the pictures. So I'm guessing since it's a fr2 obverse then it would grade a fr 2

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2019 9:50AM

The obverse appears to be weighted the most heavily by PCGS
    Here is my 1880cc PO01 in my registry set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/myitems/0

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I cannot conclusively judge that coin from the pictures, my gut feel says it has been assisted in the wear process....Again, not conclusive opinion...just based on appearance. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this was a lowball commemorative halve there is no way that it would come close to PO01

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember who but in the 90's they wanted me to send one in and the people here said it would grade to high on the obverse, that's what TPG went by and it did go a Fair. I ended up keeping it.

Ken
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close, but I don’t know if it will straight grade, looks cleaned.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

02 if it straight graded.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2020 8:12AM

Sounds like screwball request from him. Does he own this are you?

It’s not something would spend money on getting graded. If mine would start it on the bay auction at 9.95 as is and get rid of it after giving him chance buy raw.

In terms of your customer I would wager P01 but what if you spend all that grading cost and he does not consummate deal for whatever reason.....$30 reg service plus addl fees and your ship cost prob $60 in sending it in. Worth it?

Would he buy it raw? Then what it would grade not your worry. I think he sb one play grading game on that.

What’s missing is I don’t know if he is owner what’s in it for you - how much would he pay, etc. I would tell him not a mind reader on what they grade it but he can send in ipaying grading costs himself if he wants in slab. If he owner I would charge him upfront if submitting for him (if even wanted fool with that), Then he needs to understand I am not responsible for what they grade it (not my problem).

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the pocket to wear off the cleaning...that's the only way I know to fix this. It can't hurt the grade, I would give it a 1.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he can find a worse one. I agree with others that it has a cleaned look.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will never straight grade; it looks like it has been through a machine shop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file