Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photographing Mirrors on Classic Proofs?

Hi folks,

I have been trying to photograph the toned mirrored surfaces on Classic Proofs (mainly Seated Coinage) with very little success - I cannot seem to get anything but a "flat" look that does not show the mirrors. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? I have tried tilting the coin while photographing it - That seems to work a little better but I still have glare and the photos aren't great.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Florescent light will remove the glare.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe one of our members (Todd?) published a book on coin photography..... Might help to PM him for information.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shading it from top light helps.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I believe one of our members (Todd?) published a book on coin photography..... Might help to PM him for information.... Cheers, RickO

You're thinking of Mark Goodman, @Ricko. His book, "Numismatic Photography", is quite good and should be read by every aspiring coin photographer. I bought it twice! (Lost the first one.)

I don't think Mark frequents this forum much anymore, FWIW.

As I said, the slab is the problem and there's little you can do about it.

OP might turn to Todd, @blu62vette, for pictures. Todd has broad, extensive experience and many happy customers. I'm sure he'd give it a good shot, so to speak.

Another excellent photographer is @messydesk. John always impresses and has amazing skills and creativity.
    Lance.

• Options
    edited October 5, 2019 8:38AM

Try getting the desired effect showing in the viewfinder. Then move a shade around over the whole thing without changing the position of everything and see if the effect gets better.
    Top shade with good all around light seems to do okay.

It doesn't quite have a "mirror" effect, but it shows contrast.

• Options

Too much mirror will sometimes reflect the camera.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

It takes many tricks this one is similar in nature.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard that using a black piece of foam board (or equivalent) with a hole to fit the lens help keep the mirrors on the coin from reflecting the camera in the image but I haven't tried it myself yet.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try axial photography!!!! it works.
    there is a member here who wrote about it.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file