Home Metal Detecting

Brass/Bronze token L.Baker 1907 to 1916 Confectionery Store 5C token

Here is a metal detector find I made about 10 years ago, on an old farm, about 3 miles outside of old downtown Hopkinsville Ky,

It is a token from a Confectionery Store that was in business from 1907 to 1916 run by L. Baker in the old Phoenix building.

I imagine it was intended to bring people into the store to see their goods.

In 1907 5c in merchandise was worth going into town for.

Comments

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find. Love tokens. I have found a bunch of tokens over the years. Hunt in Iowa which has a lot of different towns known

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinloverjon....Thanks for posting this here...and nice looking token.... Yes... 5 cents was significant back then...heck, even I remember five cent ice cream cones, five cent draft beers and five cent candy bars. Cheers, RickO

• coinloverjoncoinloverjon Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

It was very crusty when I found it 6 inches down after about 100 years. I ran it through an ultra sonic jewelry cleaner for an hour and it cleaned up nicely. In my mind, I imagined some kid had it in his pocket and was thinking of the great big bag of goodies he was going to get when Dad took him into town next, Then He lost it and cried for a week. :'(

We do tend to imagine what history our finds had that led to them being in the ground....especially unique finds such as this token. Cheers, RickO

At a former fairgrounds ( now a golf course) I found the remains of a coin purse and 27 Indian Heads (no silver or nickels). I often wondered about the owner. The coins dated 1880-1906. How much sweat equity they must have invested to acquire their treasure and then lose it at the fair. Btw the coins were in terrible shape from the leather in the coin purse.

@No Headlights ....Wow...neat find... did you try soaking the coins in olive oil? Or an acetone bath? Not sure if you mean they were damaged or just had a lot of crud on them. Cheers, RickO

I have soaked crusty coins in olive oil for months to loosen debris without removing the patina. Jon

@ricko said:
    @No Headlights ....Wow...neat find... did you try soaking the coins in olive oil? Or an acetone bath? Not sure if you mean they were damaged or just had a lot of crud on them. Cheers, RickO

No I didn’t. There wasn’t anything of any real numismatic value so I just keep them with the metal clasp which has a few remnants of leather attached. I wish he would have brought a gold coin to the fair😄

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinloverjon said:
    I have soaked crusty coins in olive oil for months to loosen debris without removing the patina. Jon

the one i hear most referred to with old copper is mineral oil. a lot of threads should come up with those key words. also have used olive oil myself and read a LOT about others using it as well.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning everyone, I have had good results removing organic crud from coins by soaking in H2O2. The oxydization occurs slowly and steadily over 24 hours for each side. Potency of the solution weakens and you can see the bubbles subside which signals time to discard, flip coin, refill with fresh H2O2. No rubbing ever. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Good point Roy.... It does work well, and very infrequently referenced as a cleaning agent. Years ago (early 2K) I did a lot of experimenting with coins and chemicals - mainly to become directly acquainted with the effects - both for cleaning and AT.... At the time, on the coin forum, AT was a major issue (still is to some extent, but it was MAJOR at that time). I learned some interesting things, and the use of peroxide was one. Cheers, RickO

Does the peroxide leave the patina on the coin or remove it also? Jon

@coinloverjon...It mainly removes dirt/crud....I submerged some tarnished silver in it and saw no change in the tarnish... the bubbles did not last long, indicating it was just removing contamination. Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinloverjon I have not seen any change in patina on Cu, Br or Bz. OTC H2O2 is approx 5% which is why it weakens over 24 hrs while oxidizing organic crud. Both sides of a coin needs to be face up for each soak period. The constant bubbling is very reassuring. No wonder most laundry products have an oxyclean type ingredient. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52