Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

i continue to be baffled by pricing of cards

2»

Comments

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Currently in the market for an ‘86 Leaf Canseco.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2019 6:45PM

@artee said:

I DEMAND one! ;-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@artee said:

That would bring unprecedented coin.

Arthur

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@olb31 said:

Thus, if you are smart, start buying the 1985 leaf Nolan ryan psa 10's for $75 and list them for $200, with an explanation of how low the pop is compared to the topps that just sold for $160.

Buy them up, I can't wait to see how that works.

No 1985 Leaf PSA 10's listed on Ebay currently. Several Topps, Fleer, Donruss and Tiffany. Hum????

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2019 11:52AM

@olb31 said:
    Several Topps, Fleer, Donruss and Tiffany. Hum????

Without looking, the overall amount of the ‘85 Ryan Tiffany #760 card should be in very short supply in ANY form from raw - psa 9. And will probably remain that way for a long, long time. This is in addition to it already being short printed to 5k.

• Options

@artee said:

@olb31 said:
    Several Topps, Fleer, Donruss and Tiffany. Hum????

Without looking, the overall amount of the ‘85 Ryan Tiffany #760 card should be in very short supply in ANY form from raw - psa 9. And will probably remain that way for a long, long time. This is in addition to it already being short printed to 5k.

It is and sales for the highest, just like the Clemens Tiffany. Now that does make sense.

• Options

Top two clemens 1985 cards tiffany then leaf. Not tiffany and then topps.

• Options

Sorry. I was just referring to the overall availability of the ‘85 tiffany ryan card, considering it’s not his rookie.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2019 7:59AM

Feast your eyes on this bad mama jama. This little lot right here is on Ebay right now. It is a buy it now for $21,000,000. No, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you, the number is $21 million dollars.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2019 3:38AM

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you're a HOF/star rookie, 5k is not short-printed for the demand of 1980s cards.

Arthur

• Options

Who is your statement referring too, Harry Lime? Ryan is in the HOF and it is Clemens' rookie.

Or are we just blurting out non whimsical facts like the little kid from jerry maguire?

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@artee said:
    Who is your statement referring too, Harry Lime? Ryan is in the HOF and it is Clemens' rookie.

Or are we just blurting out non whimsical facts like the little kid from jerry maguire?

I agree that would be the best use of this thread.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options

^ I can’t compete with that!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2019 5:54AM

Niche market
    Disposable income
    Luxury Goods

From the economics angle, these are a few of the factors affecting price.

In addition, the scope of desirability. When discussing this Topps v Leaf Nolan Ryan, I imagine Topps set builders outnumber the Leaf set builders. Add them into the Nolan Ryan collectors after the card, and there’s a likely greater demand.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread.

The card market isn't a perfect science and there are a multitude of factors that influence selling prices.

I bought my first 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A Hulk Hogan that was a PSA 9 in a set in August of 2009 for roughly $50. The last copy recently sold on EBAY for $4,600. I don't really know how you try and explain this in economics terms because there is nothing rational about this.

The supply of graded cards was actually lower at this time and so prices have escalated dramatically even with a growing supply. If we were to try and explain this from a text book it would be a scenario where the demand curve shifted several times and the supply curve couldn't shift much due to the overall total supply therefore driving up prices. It is more complicated though then this. I bid on loads of the cards for years and purchased a large number. Taking supply away from the market and yet influencing demand with my bids. I haven't placed a competitive bid on a copy in quite sometime and yet prices remain strong and in certain grades at all time highs. I think a big part is information and market acceptance. Once something is deemed good others want it. The higher the price goes the better it is and this can't be explained by standard economics analysis as buyers want to pay the lowest price possible. In this case they want it more at higher prices. In economics there is term close substitute and it really restricts what something can sell for. With cards buyers don't necessarily consider a PSA 7 or PSA 8 a close substitute because they want the highest graded copy yet in reality it is a close substitute. This is why I have always said ego plays a huge role in card prices and I don't think you can easily explain why certain cards sell for this or certain cards sell for that.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100

Here’s a decent attempt to explain it - the vast majority of people who watched wrestling as it soared in popularity during Hogan’s prime - as children at the time - are now at an age where they have disposable income, children of their own and are feeling nostalgic for their own youth. That time period - call it 1983-1993 - was a great renaissance for wrestling AND cards, BOTH of which were wildly popular in the 1950s with kids who in the 1980s were taking their kids to both with their disposable income, and their own nostalgic feelings of youth.

Throw in - as you mentioned - the the ego, add the public nature (and add maybe a dash of the ability for manipulation and corruption of the auction process) and you will see strong prices.

If we’ve learned anything from what’s happened in the last year or so, it’s that two strong bidders can always produce high prices but so can one misinformed bidder (or in some cases, no bidders) and a clever auctioneer.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @Dpeck100

Here’s a decent attempt to explain it - the vast majority of people who watched wrestling as it soared in popularity during Hogan’s prime - as children at the time - are now at an age where they have disposable income, children of their own and are feeling nostalgic for their own youth. That time period - call it 1983-1993 - was a great renaissance for wrestling AND cards, BOTH of which were wildly popular in the 1950s with kids who in the 1980s were taking their kids to both with their disposable income, and their own nostalgic feelings of youth.

Throw in - as you mentioned - the the ego, add the public nature (and add maybe a dash of the ability for manipulation and corruption of the auction process) and you will see strong prices.

If we’ve learned anything from what’s happened in the last year or so, it’s that two strong bidders can always produce high prices but so can one misinformed bidder (or in some cases, no bidders) and a clever auctioneer.

I am just making reference to the fact that someone paid so much more for a similar item. I actually think the Hogan card isn't done going up.

If people are trying to use text book economic theory there is nothing rational about paying nearly 100 times as much and therefore I believe trying to explain card movements using these same theories is impossible.

It was before your time on this board but I made some wild predictions about future prices of some of the cards I collect as I felt they were going to go up dramatically so to me it is not a surprise but once again just can't be explained with basic economic theory.