Home U.S. Coin Forum

93-CENT RIM/EDGE QUESTION

THE COIN ON THE RIGHT IS A TYPICAL 90'S PENNY WITH A TYPICAL RIM.
CURIOUS ABOUT THE ONE ON THE LEFT. IT HAS A WIDER RIM ON THE FACE AND A THICKER RIM OVERALL. IT
DOES NOT HAVE THE BEVELED EDGE LIKE OTHER PENNIES. WAS THIS DONE ON A PLANCHET THAT DID NOT GET A FINAL EDGE TREATMENT?

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s the diameter? If the diameter is smaller the I am leaning toward a bit of “spooning” or its equivalent.

• DIAMETERS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME - .75"

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins probably also weigh very close to each other. One is probably just a better made coin. Perhaps an early strike or Mint Set coin spent into circulation. The weight is the key that it is normal or not.

• weighed (3) 1991 coins they are all 2.49-2.5
    the 93 is 2.54 so no big difference.
    it just seemed weird with the real sharp square edge it has.

Looks like you have a very nice normal coin with some latent fingerprints.

• YES!

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might look thicker due to Finned Rims.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • don't think it's a finned edge like the example attached

• it only had the one edge and it's very even all the way around and on both sides of the coin. it is just very wide and very square

• i know, nothing special...just something I don't see looking through pennies

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That certainly appears different (actually, it IS different) from the normal cent....I would keep that one in my 'anomaly' box...Cheers, RickO

• earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Might it be a proof that circulated?

@earlycoins said:
    Might it be a proof that circulated?

Might be if it had an "S" Mint Mark.

Hey, send it to a major TPGS and they may grade it as a "Specimen!" >:)

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

That cent was probably hammered hard by the dies and got a nice square rim. If you look at tons of coins you mighf find a few like this.

• the only thing I could think of was the planchet itself. I have one blank planchet I found and I can't remember which type it was. but there are some that are dead flat and some that have the slight depression around the edge. Mine hast he depression. Maybe it got punch on a dead flat blank that is why it has the flat sharp square edge.

• cointalk page talks about how proof coins are struck usually twice one the hydraulic press and usually with more pressure. that is what forces the rim material into the corner of the collar or die and makes it square. but this isn't a proof coin being that it is a phily mint.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint sets also get extra strike pressure and some circulation coins end up that way as well.

• that explains it. maybe it was from some mint set that got broken up

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many many (and many) Mint sets get broken up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file