Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Possibly the most beautiful U.S Cent reverse pattern ever designed ...

I love this ... 1951 Lincoln Cent Pattern by Fraser.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 11:27AM

Holy crap. Either I'd forgotten about that one or I'd never seen it.

An earlier thread said it was designed by James Fraser's wife, Laura Gardin Fraser.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/992021/lincoln-cent-by-james-earl-and-laura-gardin-fraser

@dcarr? In gold?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen this and held it in-hand. It is an amazing piece of art.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very much like the artistry that went into making the tree standout!

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    i wish the US Mint made artistic stuff like this today. All we get today is cr#!*p.

I think a lot of the parks quarter designs were pretty good. Overall I think the formatting of the designs was solid. MASSIVE improvement from the statehood series.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

ive never seen that before. I understand why you love the design. way cool

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knew nothing about this pattern. Really nice. I agree that Dan Carr should make one in gold or silver or both. Much better than the Memorial reverse.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very pretty design. We will never have coins like that anymore....just modern crap.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never seen that one before...
    Superb design!

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

That's really cool, makes me want to collect Patterns.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan. The wheat reverse symbolized the production of wheat in America's heartland. This is a commodity that is shipped worldwide. A wonderful export.
    The tree? What does it represent? Shouldn't it have some symbolism of some sort?

bob
    PS: I'm not artistic nor do I understand art.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tree would have probably been difficult to strike in quantity and quantity is what was and is needed for one cent coins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen that before. Very nice.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the tree as a symbol of quiet strength, power, and dignity?

I like it!!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

I appreciate the comment about the wheat. In my mind the tree represents the steadfastness of the American ideal, plus the fact that we don't have to chop them all down for use as fuel.

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't we cut them all down yet to build building?

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse is reminiscent of the Connecticut Tercentenary Half Dollar... I like it!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur with your observation.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of the term liberty tree. Would not have had meetings here in Nevada if we had to rely on trees.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 4:13PM

How many of these exist? Also curious as to market value.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    i wish the US Mint made artistic stuff like this today. All we get today is cr#!*p.

It’s the dead Presidents era, 110yrs and counting. I wish we could end it completely.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen that one before but I want it.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Liberty trees were symbols for the colonists. Places to meet, organize, and protest.
    I think it would make for a great reverse.

IS that a kid hanging from a tree?

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@DCW said:
    Liberty trees were symbols for the colonists. Places to meet, organize, and protest.

I dunno, I wasnt there

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pinata.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be clear, I dont think this was ever actually minted into a coin. We are commenting on a plaster design

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    To be clear, I dont think this was ever actually minted into a coin. We are commenting on a plaster design

Yes, this is a plaster, not a minted pattern or coin. I thought we were all on the same page with that observation or knowledge, but it appears that this might not have been the case.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    Knew nothing about this pattern. Really nice. I agree that Dan Carr should make one in gold or silver or both. Much better than the Memorial reverse.

Who owns that plaster model ?

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a tree drawn in ink, I've been looking for.
    Dates back to (im guessing) 1750 or above. Saw when I was kid.
    In the open spaces was a perfect, with detail, image,
    of a revalutionary minute man, standing at attention.
    LOVE THIS TREE on the reverse, kinda wakes you up from
    the ho hum and shows what the ho hum can produce.
    But there's somthing shady about this, makes want to grab my girl
    and as i did as a kid, pull out my pen knife.
    Not the coin, Lol

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@DCW said:

That is what I was thinking/seeing too!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

Discipline was harsh in the old days.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

It would make for a beautiful coin. As others have mentioned, the last few years of parks quarters have been superb. The format of the design template is appealing, the engraving and detail is breathtaking, and the freakin' spaghetti hair of Washington has been admirably addressed. I like them and like adding to them each year with the basic mint sets. :) Kudos to you, unsung mint artists. :)

Remember the unfortunate MS quarter with what ended up as broccoli trees on the reverse? If we had the current crop of mint artisans in charge of realizing that design today, I doubt that the original designer would have any cause for complaint. As it was, he was pretty peeved about his trees design transforming into vast stalks of broccoli (and I don't blame him!)

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    I'm not a fan. The wheat reverse symbolized the production of wheat in America's heartland. This is a commodity that is shipped worldwide. A wonderful export.
    The tree? What does it represent? Shouldn't it have some symbolism of some sort?

bob
    PS: I'm not artistic nor do I understand art.

AUandAG, regarding the symbolism, below is from the uspatterns site, which was from RWB:

1952 Lincoln Cent

The following information is courtesy of Roger Burdette.

In December 1951 sculptor James E. Fraser, designer of the Buffalo nickel and several commemorative coins, sent unsolicited obverse and reverse designs for a new Lincoln cent to Director Nellie Tayloe Ross. Upon viewing the models, Director Ross wrote, "...It is with a real thrill of admiration and appreciation I behold these beautiful productions of your art. The portrait of Lincoln impresses me as being incomparably better than the one now impressed upon the one-cent piece."

The obverse featured a large scale portrait of Lincoln, not unlike Fraser's 1911 concept. The reverse showed an oak tree, "...as a symbol because Lincoln was a woodsman...It stands too for strength, ever renewing growth, and unity. Like a nation, it has roots, a trunk, branches, flowers and finally fruit."

Director Ross was so impressed that she convinced the Secretary of the Treasury to permit pattern coins to be struck. Forty-six pieces were coined on May 7, 1952 and another 100 were made from dies of slightly lower relief on June 19. Although Ross, the Secretary and others gave strong support to the new Lincoln cent design, the change was not to occur. Demand for coinage surged and the Mint Bureau could barely keep up with normal production: the project was scrapped in March 1953.

The 146 pattern cents were certified as being destroyed on March 16, 1953, the dies were locked in the Engraver's safe and the models stuck in storage at the Philadelphia Mint. In 1995, numismatist Bill Fivaz chanced to photograph the obverse model.

Photo attached (the obverse model shown, not the reverse) is by Bill Fivaz. It is not known whether the photo is of a galvano or a colored plaster model.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@Kudbegud said:

Who owns that plaster model ?

Dan
    I sure hope you can make this. Do you need to have permission from the owner of the plaster? Or can the photos be used to create a die ?

From the other thread

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

its to almost to bad they mint does not go back in time and use some of the nice artwork like this one here. just a thought

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Saint Gaudens cent was no slouch, either. Maybe @dcarr could do a two-coin set?

• Options

Yes, that "Saint-cent" would have been wonderful!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

Apparently I have been metal detecting to close to the trunks and need to spread out a wider circumference, hmm.

• Options

@carabonnair said:

The Saint Gaudens cent was no slouch, either. Maybe @dcarr could do a two-coin set?

Oh yeah ! Wouldn't that be nice to have both issued as a "Could Have Been" set?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file