Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did they ever use a satin finish on 2017p dimes?

The only thing I could find was the 2017s special strike?

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

plated? What's the edge look like?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to my knowledge. Your 17 is just in better shape than the 14.

• Options
    Dove73Dove73 Posts: 81 ✭✭

• Options

The finish is definitely different..it is very dull/flat/matte ( not sure what word to use. It looks just like the 2017s special strike on pcgs.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks messed with. Maybe acid.

• Options

The strange thing is, if acid were used, would it still show a cartwheel? Here is a clip of it.
    https://youtu.be/raF1_qyKJGg

• Options
    John2000John2000 Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I believe all the US mint sets are satin finish now, and have been for years. I can't remember when it started maybe 05 ? But they are blasted with glass beads or something like that. Please don't quote me, as I'm not sure about method, or start date. I'm also not sure about OP coin. I am sure about the mint sets (uncirculated) are called satin finish, or similar though.

I may not know what I'm doing most of the time, but I'm Damn good at it. πŸ˜‡ 😈

• Options

Perhaps some have been released into the wild for whatever reasons ???

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to me to be environmental haze effect from wherever it has been stored/lost....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

@John2000 said:
    I believe all the US mint sets are satin finish now, and have been for years. I can't remember when it started maybe 05 ? But they are blasted with glass beads or something like that. Please don't quote me, as I'm not sure about method, or start date. I'm also not sure about OP coin. I am sure about the mint sets (uncirculated) are called satin finish, or similar though.

They stopped that after several years....

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@John2000 said:

Oh no! You quoted them! :o

The satin finish sets ran from 2005 to 2010. I kind of preferred them to regular strikes.

I agree with earlier comments that the OP's coin is likely just a haze, maybe combined a more satiny luster they sometimes have. Perhaps worth keeping examples just to see the differing luster coins can have of the same issue.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

Um? Apparently you prefer woman to have short nails?? πŸ˜‚πŸ€£
    Come on ..admit it ..you thought I was a guy. No worries..made me giggle

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The P mint coins can have quality issues, they can look dull & lifeless right out of a fresh roll.
    Over used dies can produce some grainy effects and polished dies can produce shiny effects.
    If you look through a box of new coins you will see differences in the shine or satin appearance.
    Some could be die issues and some could be planchet issues or a combination of both.

• Options

Thanks for the correction about satin finish mint sets. I hate to put out inaccurate information. I haven't dealt with the mint in a long time, but should've heard about them stopping. I don't know why they thought that the new finish was worth doing anyway. Was that to create more public interest in the sets or something ? I could barely tell the difference anyway.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2019 8:47PM

Guitar player?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:

@JBK said:

@John2000 said:

Oh no! You quoted them! :o

The satin finish sets ran from 2005 to 2010. I kind of preferred them to regular strikes.

I agree with earlier comments that the OP's coin is likely just a haze, maybe combined a more satiny luster they sometimes have. Perhaps worth keeping examples just to see the differing luster coins can have of the same issue.

I, too, am a big fan of the satin finish Mint sets. I wish they would have continued them in that format.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Guitar player?

Piano, actually.. πŸ€—

• Options
    JFK_CollectorJFK_Collector Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

It is my understanding that 2010 was the last year for the Satin Finish Uncirculated Mint Sets.

I did notice in 2014 the US Mint offered a β€œCoin Discovery Set? Consisting of three (3) Kennedy half dollars supposedly with three unique different finishes. Has the US Mint created a new finish for the uncirculated sets? That question remains to be answered.

Here is a link to the US Mint catalog where in the description it mentions the three different finishes. https://catalog.usmint.gov/coin-discovery-set-an-introduction-to-coin-collecting-YC1.html?cgid=kennedy-half-dollars#start=1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file