Home Precious Metals

What can the resident poured silver bar experts tell me about these bars?

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2019 5:04PM in Precious Metals

Comments

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know much but they are cool. You might be able to find these vintage silver bars on EBay for a large premium

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2019 10:00PM

Im far from an expert, but I do have one more then I need :)
    The engelhard MFR bars are more desired, BUT are also counterfitted.

Go check out allengelhard.com

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first bar (MPM) is still being made. The 3 oz Engelhard carries a significant premium because this is a rare weight. The other two bars carry a small premium.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a poured bar collector, but those do look interesting.... I must stop opening these threads ;) I am starting to get interested... and I do not need another collection (my wife agrees) :D Cheers, RickO

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Sell them, don’t buy them...

keceph `anah
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rawteam1 said:
    Sell them, don’t buy them...

I’ll buy them....... to flip them

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 Interesting site! I checked it out, but have no idea how to tell if my bar is counterfeit.. It looks legit according to their pictures... Do I have to send it to them? I'll check the site out more later..

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 8:32PM

@massscrew said:
    @rte592 Interesting site! I checked it out, but have no idea how to tell if my bar is counterfeit.. It looks legit according to their pictures... Do I have to send it to them? I'll check the site out more later..

I'm pretty sure that you could send allengelhard.com a picture via email and generally ask their opinion.
    If they like it they could put it in their gallery and record the serial number.
    That would definitely add credibility to the bar.

• USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 thanks so much for the tip.. I emailed them and they responded promptly! Here's what they said:

"Hi Stan, We actually logged this bar in our database years ago as "authentic" so no worries there. It is a nice example. All the best, AE"

I am very happy to hear that and appreciative of your help!

It's an awesome resource we have here!