Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

bought a local collection, having fun sorting

Bought a local collection from a friend about a month ago and have been sorting for hours and hours. Mainly 1959-68 Topps baseball and a few football. Overall lower grade (VG/VG-EX) but later years are better. Am going to get some graded and then will offer all on BST here or consign or list on eBay myself.
Here are the Mantles. Notice the two 1964 Rawlings glove box cards.

Star cards

Coins, 63 Fleer near set, 1968 Topps Game set plus many extras, 1961 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed,1963 Exhibits

Couple of hundred 1961-63 Post Cereal

1967 Topps pinup posters, set plus many extras

Approx. 7500 commons that I have spent hours sorting and grouping into smaller lots to sell. Lots of lower grade lots and mid grade lots

Football, including Sayers and Ditka rookies and many 19662 Post Cereal

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

I’d be interested in the football partial sets

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a fun weekend!

• Options

Nice!

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow a lot of mantles. great cards. looks like a lot of fun to sort out.

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Have fun!!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice - did you buy it sight unseen?

Mike
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Did not buy it sight unseen. In fact, I had inventoried the cards for my friend about 25 years ago. About a year ago, he called me and said he wanted to sell. I kept the cards for about nine months before we were finally able to close the deal. I paid good money for the cards, but hey, sorting the cards is actually therapy for me. Even though I have many hours in it, and will have many more, it is a labor of love.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! What a collection. I don't know what you paid but I'm thinking if you grade and sell off all the Mantles you would have exceeded any initial costs. Great pickup!

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Well done!!!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome.

I’d love to halve your Rawlings Mantle On Box card collection.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

I'm going to get both Mantle Rawlings cards graded. I understand they are desired by those working on the Mantle master set. I feel certain they will come back as Authentic since they are cut poorly. The collection also had these other Rawlings cards: Brooks Robinson (2), Billy Williams (2), Dick Groat (2), Warren Spahn, and Tommy Davis (2),.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

What it’s all about!

@judgebuck said:

but hey, sorting the cards is actually therapy for me. Even though I have many hours in it, and will have many more, it is a labor of love.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there's any 62 Jell-O hiding in that box of Post, I'm interested! Nice pick up all around!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Post once you get them graded, very interested in many

• Options

No Jellos in the box. I will post on BST after I get some graded. It may be after the first of the year before I get going, but I do intend to sell all.

• Options

Nice haul!! I can only imagine how fun that was to go through them

• Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Awesome pick up. What condition are the '68 game sets in?

• Options

'68 Topps game set is in great condition., no creases, etc. There are many doubles as well.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

I will say that this is the cheapest I have ever seen cards priced. Lots of work, but really can't go wrong.

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    **I’m thinking about buying this lot.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/clt/d/farmingdale-sports-cards-baseball/6978133993.html

Looking for some nice junk wax to grade and gets 10s

I know... crazy.... but fun!!!**

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 5:03PM

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    **I’m thinking about buying this lot.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/clt/d/farmingdale-sports-cards-baseball/6978133993.html

Looking for some nice junk wax to grade and gets 10s

I know... crazy.... but fun!!!**

I bought a large collection for $550 in the Fall of 2018...probably 500k cards...will easily get many thousands out of it...there were numerous Topps Black Gold sets, nice 1987 Fleer basketball (will soon be sending in a Nance card that should be a 10), Fleer Metal Jordans and numerous copies of each of the other main stars of 1995 and 1996 Fleer Metal basketball, hundreds and hundreds of each of the main stars of 80's (Jordan, Ryan, Gretzky, Brett, Puckett, Montana, Jeter, etc)...I have about 1000 cards I want to get graded from that collection...took me a couple months to go thru them and pull out the PSA 10 candidates...it's a lot of fun going thru monster boxes of cards and find PSA 10 candidates..it took me 3 trips in my Honda CRV to get all the cards from his place to my house...good luck if you nab that collection...as long as it isn't all commons, you should be able to recoup your money easily if the cards are in mint condition...

• Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

@judgebuck said:
    '68 Topps game set is in great condition., no creases, etc. There are many doubles as well.

Please keep me in mind when you are ready to sell. I still need this set to go along with my minty '68 base set.

• Options

Will do, Brian.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

nice pick up Judge

I need that 55 mays to finish my set if your interested in moving it I would like to see a pic.

looks like a ton fun with a lot of mantles

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really awesome. In general they are usually late 80's and 90's cards that are for sale.

Could you provide a ball park of what you paid? It would help some of us understand overall pricing on large collections like that. Thanks

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judgebuck said:
    No Jellos in the box. I will post on BST after I get some graded. It may be after the first of the year before I get going, but I do intend to sell all.

Oh well. I would also be interested in the Post football. Enjoy going thru it all!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

Out of respect for the seller, who is a friend, I won't disclose how much I paid. But basically, we agreed on a price after estimating what the cards would likely bring if sold individually and in lots, and then adjusting down from there. I paid plenty, but it will be fun messing with them. Actually, it was therapy of sorts in just going through the cards, grouping them, and trying to establish values.