Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Clipped mercury error

What do y’all thing about this? Not white fsb but close. These aren’t my thing. What’s it worth?

Comments

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say yes. Have you tried fitting another dime into the clip to see if it matches?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be a genuine mint-made clip and the clip is quite substantial. I don't know the value of this niche market, but the coin has a very dramatic look.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

It does

@djm said:
    I would say yes. Have you tried fitting another dime into the clip to see if it matches?

• Options

@TomB said:
    It appears to be a genuine mint-made clip and the clip is quite substantial. I don't know the value of this niche market, but the coin has a very dramatic look.

Thank you I agree. Can’t find another quite like it still looking.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that's a legitimate clip. The blakesley effect and metal flow along the clip are present.

Maybe $20 or $25?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find... you will not find a lot of them....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice clip @Therustyb.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:
    Yes, that's a legitimate clip. The blakesley effect and metal flow along the clip are present.

Maybe $20 or $25?

That's what I was thinking.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:

Maybe $20 or $25?

Good answer, I completely agree. 100% a legit Mint error and should easily sell for that price. Nice find.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

there's no 'matching piece' that goes with that clip.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the coin very much. Glad the clip does not affect the date.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Sorry folks for some reason not getting notifications when get a new reply. Thanks for all the insight.

• Options

Anyone interested in this thing? I’ve got this one tons of wheats with as dramatic clips or other errors. A blank quarter planchet silver and a Roosevelt with a similar clip

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have any clipped Morgans?

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put up a post in the BST Forum, you will likely find someone there who will take it off your hands.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file