Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Circulated Type, CAC, Problems, Rant

chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a US type coin collector focused on 18th and 19th centuries. I buy primarily through respected dealers and rarely through Heritage or eBay. Most of my focus is on better vs. the common dates and I try to buy CAC stickered coins to help maintain the value of my "investment".

I'm tired of receiving coins that have the right color but contain tons of hairlines. Under fluorescent or some LED's these hairlines aren't seen but under bright, direct light or my halogen 'coin-viewing' lights, they stick out like a sore thumb. In my mind, these could be from slides; poor storage like a flip where they slide around; or even from a prior cleaning. Some have green gunk hidden in the recesses. I would prefer to keep this a general conversation and not show examples as that can steer the discussion by focusing on those examples.

Hopefully this comment won't open a can of worms but I wouldn't think CAC would sticker these because these hairlines can be an eyesore. Maybe they are more lenient because I am choosing better dated coins with lower CAC pops. Also, why are they stickering coins with the green gunk?

In the future, I need to make sure my dealer friends know what I'm looking for. It's hard to find those truly nice circulated coins that are fresh, original and have not been too damaged by prior handling. Does anyone else seem to have this issue and what do others look for in these types of coins?

Comments

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    CAC isn't any more reliable than any of the TPG's. They make their fair share of mistakes as well. There have been many examples posted here. My feelings about CAC just went down a couple of notches. Why pay almost as much to have one person give their one sided view of a coin as you pay to have it graded? Oh let's all only collect what JA likes!

Agree but it's not about only collecting what JA likes...it's about collecting what Chesterb likes. The reason I like the sticker is because the market dictates that coins with stickers are easier to sell/trade right now. That may change but it is what it is. I'm just tired of seeing coins with hairlines and think they should factor it into their decision-making. Maybe they do but I find them ugly.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:
    Agree but it's not about only collecting what JA likes...it's about collecting what Chesterb likes.

Exactly. Everybody gets to decide what they like. So, if JA is okay with hairlines, why would that be a problem?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call the dealer and discuss the coin.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cac means, "they'd buy it as a.."

Some buyers are more stringent,
    some less

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a gross misunderstanding of both TPG's an CAC. As mentioned above, hairlines (friction not cleaning) are market acceptable and factored into the grades. It could be 68 CAC and still have a hairline or two. If it bothers you, just don't buy them. You are NOT being forced to buy what JA likes or anything else.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    CAC isn't any more reliable than any of the TPG's. They make their fair share of mistakes as well. There have been many examples posted here. My feelings about CAC just went down a couple of notches. Why pay almost as much to have one person give their one sided view of a coin as you pay to have it graded? Oh let's all only collect what JA likes!

It is not a mistake to CAC a coin that is in 65 that has a couple hairlines. It is affirming the market acceptable grade.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

It is not a mistake to CAC a coin that is in 65 that has a couple hairlines. It is affirming the market acceptable grade.

Correct. Pcgs 66’s can also have hairlines.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't noticed any difference with my sales of Barber Halves. While I don't submit any coins to CAC I have quite a few in my inventory that already had the bean when I bought them!

@chesterb said:

@amwldcoin said:

Agree but it's not about only collecting what JA likes...it's about collecting what Chesterb likes. The reason I like the sticker is because the market dictates that coins with stickers are easier to sell/trade right now. That may change but it is what it is. I'm just tired of seeing coins with hairlines and think they should factor it into their decision-making. Maybe they do but I find them ugly.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

A PCGS66 can have metal flow lines but should NOT have hairlines.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another comment I would to make is this: Everyone goes on about JA will buy the coins he stickers. I seriously doubt anyone on this board would sell for the prices he pays. Keep in mind JA is a wholesaler. That means at least 2 people need to make a profit before a collector gets a shot at the coin...JA and the dealer he sold the coin to!

• Options

MS/PR-66
    Well struck with a few marks or hairlines, not in focal areas.

https://www.pcgs.com/grades#grade66

• Options

Just an FYI...this post isn't about MS/PR coins.

• Options

Didn't think it was. But if hairlines are allowed on MS66 coins, then it would seem to be obvious they'd be allowed on circulated coins too, no?

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

When I go in and touch up 100’s of pieces of furniture in a hotel, I do it in the light that is normal for the hotel room.
    I guarantee no guest will get on their hands and knees 6” away with a flashlight to check the finish, thus I state, my work passes the “walk by test”.

One can take the either of the same paths with respect to viewing coins. You will find what you wish to see with a circulated coin. Just my opinion.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Another comment I would to make is this: Everyone goes on about JA will buy the coins he stickers. I seriously doubt anyone on this board would sell for the prices he pays. Keep in mind JA is a wholesaler. That means at least 2 people need to make a profit before a collector gets a shot at the coin...JA and the dealer he sold the coin to!

This is mostly true. The "purchase guarantee" should NOT be a reason to prefer CAC. You can always sell any slabbed coin at the "sight unseen" price, but that is not usually the best price.

As for the JA price, sometimes it is the "right price" but not in all categories. If you have a coin that would sell for $100k at auction with a 20% BP included, you would only realize $80k. But it is possible that JA would pay $85k to wholesale at $90k to a dealer who has a private treaty buyer at $100k.

Even for cheaper stuff, a wholesaler makes money buy having the right "rolodex" so they may be able to pay $50 for a coin to place it at $55 when it is not efficient for you yourself to sell it an get $50.

JAs bids on Morgan dollars are quite competitive, for example. On the other hand, he has no posted bids last I looked for classic commems as he is not trying to make a market in them.

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

I have sold coins directly to CAC/JA for prices I thought were very strong.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2019 4:33AM

If a coin is graded circulated, then it will almost always have very fine hairlines.... perhaps only a couple, but they will be there when examined under the proper light and angles....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Plastic, Stickers, TPGs, many need but a few will disagree!!! :D

Buy what you like and like what you buy.

Craig

• Options

I appreciate everyone's response. I guess just for some clarification. I'm not talking a couple or a few hairlines when viewed under a glass. I'm talking many hairlines that cover the surfaces of both sides that can be seen by the naked eye. I can't tell if it's from a prior cleaning or just improper storage and handling. I've been doing this for awhile so I know what to look for. I just have seen coins with many hairlines stickered by CAC and it's disappointing when they come to me.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t buy sight unseen!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are looking close enough, the "hairlines" will increase as the grade decreases.

• Options

Mebbe should call them "WEARLINES." :)

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the future, I need to make sure my dealer friends know what I'm looking for.

This is the answer, and to make sure you have return privilege. You don't have to accept everything, just what you like. I view CAC as an expensive obstacle, I am glad that I purchased most of my coins before CAC. There are great original coins with and without stickers.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

NCWS

Nice Coin Without Sticker. :D

I'll try that on my next sale. >:)

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2019 1:13PM

@chesterb said:
    I appreciate everyone's response. I guess just for some clarification. I'm not talking a couple or a few hairlines when viewed under a glass. I'm talking many hairlines that cover the surfaces of both sides that can be seen by the naked eye. I can't tell if it's from a prior cleaning or just improper storage and handling. I've been doing this for awhile so I know what to look for. I just have seen coins with many hairlines stickered by CAC and it's disappointing when they come to me.

Although the images don't show them, when viewed under a bright halogen lamp, this one has hairlines, ramdomly oriented typical of what happens during circulation. It beaned:

This one has hairlines, oriented parallel to each other, typical of what happens during cleaning with a cloth. Under a bright halogen lamp, one can see that the luster does not rotate through but instead large areas on both sides flash while rotating, because of the parallel hairlines caused by the cleaning. It did not bean:

For this one under the halogen lamp, it is very hard to identify ramdom oriented circulation hairlines because of the heavy patina, they are there but subtle and not noticeable except under the brightest of halogen light . It beaned:

All mid-grade circs. All look great. JA liked the two with natural hairlines. Point is, if you go high enough in lighting brightness for mid-grade 19th century US silver, you would be hard pressed to not find hairlines. With a incandescent bulb, LEDs, or fluorescent, you likely won't see the hairlines on any of them. The key is were they obtained through circulation or through human intervention. In my experience, hairlines are normal on mid-grade circulated coins from the 19th century, even those JA likes, because it happens when a coin is in circulation. Good luck finding them........

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS, one can do the same exercise in XF and AU.......

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a learned skill, the "reading" of a coin's surfaces and applying expertise, logic, and Occam's razor concepts to what we see.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Thank you for the examples and explanations @spacehayduke that was informative!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2019 3:04PM

If your spending a considerable amount of money I would suggest you buy sight seen at a show.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file