Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this look like it was struck through wire and some other debris?

gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need better close up photos but from here it looks like a scratch.

• Options

It is straight graded at ms62 also

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2019 1:04PM

Your coin is badly scratched. Now OP, see if you can give the reasons both of us determined the marks are scratches.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion, based only upon the supplied images, is that the lines going through the eagle's mid-section and tail are both deep scratches. However, I might believe that if someone looked at it very briefly (as in when a coin gets graded) that they might initially think they are die cracks. Regardless, I would likely pass on such a coin because I think the extent of injury would place it into the damaged category.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

My thinking was debris, possibly wire because of multiple areas of "damage". Look at the eagles head. That looks like a strike through there.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scratch for sure, sorry

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi gstang, looks like bad scratches and damage. Check out a couple wire strike thrus on Heritage to see some differences. One big one is that a wire strike through is continuous and has no gaps.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The elevation on both sides of the “valley” caused by a struck through object should be the same since the pressure would be applied uniformally on the planchet.

A scratch might how a higher elevation (moved metal) on one side of the “valley.”

Something was dragged across or the coin was dragged across something. A staple jumped into my thoughts.

IMO

• Options

Too big for a staple. Also, check out the pushed-up top end of the long scratch when the image is magnified.

• Options

Moved metal.

• Options

Here's a much better pic. There are at least four different areas that look like a large scratch. I doubt it was from a staple. It seems odd that these areas could be missed while being graded which is why I was thinking debris on the die and not scratches.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who graded it?

• Options

@JBK said:
    Who graded it?

It's PCGS MS62

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scratches... PMD..... just not serious enough to get 'Damaged details'....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add another vote for scratches. As @Hemispherical said, they appears to be some raised metal which would not occur with a strike through.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need a new category for posting.
    Scratches, dings, chunks, and Hoped-for Errors.
    :/

• Options

@ricko said:
    Scratches... PMD..... just not serious enough to get 'Damaged details'....Cheers, RickO

This coin has been assigned a "value" (MS-62) similar to the way copper collectors "net" grade coins. You can like it or not. I'm silent on this practice by TPGS.

As of now, there are no "standards" for scratches, spots, scrapes, rim dings, etc. It is a personal judgment of how much any PMD affects a coin. Eventually, I know there will be some guidelines folks can use.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a coin such as this was found in the wrong company's holder with a numeric grade, well- it's easy to guess how it would be received here.

• Options

@MasonG said:
    If a coin such as this was found in the wrong company's holder with a numeric grade, well- it's easy to guess how it would be received here.

Caution, there is no "Robbie-the-Robot" on CU. B)

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file