Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1813 Bust Half Variety Help

I recently purchased this coin. The guy I bought it from had O.109a? on the holder. I have compared it with all of the varieties for the year. I think it is the 109a but I'm unsure. Both O.109 and O.110 look close too.

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2019 7:38AM

O.109. The obverse die cracks give it away.

The "a" die state is for the controversial "single-leaf" (missing upper left olive leaf). PCGS would likely call this a 109, not 109a. Below is a crop of my 109 which is not a O.109a single-leaf. Compare.
    Lance.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! That’s a nice half!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot help with the designation, but those are really great pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    O.109. The obverse die cracks give it away.

The "a" die state is for the controversial "single-leaf" (missing upper left olive leaf). PCGS would likely call this a 109, not 109a. Below is a crop of my 109 which is not a O.109a single-leaf. Compare.
    Lance.

Okay. The die crack through the date looks like it only shows up on the O.109a though? And I know the second leaf is there but it's weak. Could it be an EDS of the O.109a?

• Options
    edited September 28, 2019 8:25AM

The die cracks (through the date and left side stars) exist with the O.109. My example below. Many more on coin facts.

The left leaf is always weak.

An early die state of a later die state is sort of splitting hairs and not very meaningful, IMO. And again, FWIW, the 13-109a "single-leaf" is not recognized by most bust half experts.
    Lance.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice half

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    The die cracks (through the date and left side stars) exist with the O.109. My example below. Many more on coin facts.

The left leaf is always weak.

An early die state of a later die state is sort of splitting hairs and not very meaningful, IMO. And again, FWIW, the 13-109a "single-leaf" is not recognized by most bust half experts.
    Lance.

Okay, thanks for your help. I saw that the O.109a seems controversial. Yours is a very nice piece, AU58?
    Anyone care to guess the grade of mine?

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this variety and these early dates in general. Each seems like an individually made coin almost.

Lance’s coin is outstanding. The OP’s coin has a lot of detail but I can’t tell how much luster from the pics. I’d guess 45-50.

Here a few pics of mine which is NGC 45. Really need to get @lkeigwin to shoot this one at some point!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@FHC said:

Okay, thanks for your help. I saw that the O.109a seems controversial. Yours is a very nice piece, AU58?
    Anyone care to guess the grade of mine?

Happy to help. Anyone who likes bust halves is okay by me.

The coin I showed is a 62. These are tough to grade because of the poor dies. Die cracks, lots of clashing, and plenty of lapping by the mint.

I'd guess 45/50?
    Lance.

• Options

I thought yours could have been low mint state. It's tough to judge from photos, especially 58-62.
    My coin is an XF45.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

A well worn example

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file