Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

*** UPDATE***Off center civil war token maybe... I think..... I dont know ***UPDATE***

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 23, 2019 6:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Ok so I'll be honest I know very little about civil war tokens. Know even less about off center civil war tokens. Does this look right????? Does it look genuine???? Has anyone ever seen anything like it? I've seen slightly off center cw tokens but never any like this!!!! Really want to learn something here either good or bad

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a CWT. Very cool error token. Hopefully someone here can tell you which issue it is. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be very impressed if someone could identify which variety that is with so little of the design left on the planchet.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it in for authentication. CWT's have been counterfeited for at least several years. :(

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with insider2 (a first) as it is too flat to be legit and a CWT that far off center.

Might be a novelty circa 1960s.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mirrored image/transfer?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Mirrored image/transfer?

One side has a wreath and the other side has a star border.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...not just off center, dang near off the planchet.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

The olive leaf wreath is strong so I agree with @Insider2 . Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first generation of Bad CWTs in quantity started showing up 30+ years ago -- luckily they were pretty easy to spot for anyone even vaguely familiar with the series (but they still cause problems to this day). Four typical examples of Gen 1 are shown below. The current generation of much better quality & less common varieties seem to be mainly coming from the Balkan countries and the Mediterranean countries.

Off-center CWTs are uncommon but certainly not unknown. That said, a large % come from one or two of the known die sinkers, Henry Higgins of Mishawaka, Indiana being the #1 culprit as many of his "Indiana Primitive" error strikes survived to this day. This is not an IP from Higgins.

At first glance I noticed a few things: 1) it is a CW Patriotic, 2) Indian Head // Not One Cent dies, 3) six point stars, 4) 12th star equidistant between feathers 5) wreath strongly struck, 6) opposing stars are flat with no raised ray lines evident, 7) planchet is indeterminate as to age from the images alone.

The flat stars along with the disparity in strength of strike are the areas that need further examination -- thoughts on the strike @FWeinberg ? The 6 point stars and placement will be the key to possible identification if it is good. It's a football Saturday so no time for further study until probably tomorrow (depending on the closeness of the West Coast games late tonight).

• Options
    edited September 28, 2019 12:11PM

I think a REALLY KNOWLEDGEABLE and advanced collector of CWT will be able to narrow down the ID of at least one side using the die break to the star and the position/style of the feathers to the stars.

There are 60 Indian Heads. At least 30 can be ruled out immediately. That leaves 30 left to check and I'm watching football. The reverse (Our Country, Our Card, or One Cent) does not match any variety in my old book. Therefore, w/o having the coin, it gets returned either "Counterfeit" or "No Decision" depending on an actual examination. What Fuld # do the CWT "experts" find?

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

The best I could determine based on the elements available, 1863 "Not One Cent". Fuld 68 obverse, 355 reverse.

• Options

Disagree. The reverse is not 355. The sides of the "O" and "C" almost line up vertically on the OP's coin. The obverse is not 68. Different style feathers and their relationship to the stars. As I posted -unique reverse.

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

I couldn't match the Indian side to any die listed in the 4th edition Fuld.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options

So I followed the suggestions to get this authenticated. I know its not done by pcgs, or ngc but hey I'll take it. Anacs says it is a real off center civil war token.my problem now is I cant seem to find any auctions or records of a civil war token selling that's this far off center, to get a value idea.

HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:
    So I followed the suggestions to get this authenticated. I know its not done by pcgs, or ngc but hey I'll take it. Anacs says it is a real off center civil war token.my problem now is I cant seem to find any auctions or records of a civil war token selling that's this far off center, to get a value idea.

Nice to see it slabbed by a top TPG. Still, too bad there’s no Fuld die number on it.

Not sure about value. Are you trying to sell it?

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have mentioned:
    Obverse:
    1. flat six-pointed stars
    2. outlined feathers
    Reverse:
    1. leaves in clusters of 6, struck well
    2. O C vertically aligned
    These prevent matches to any of the Fuld dies,
    so it could easily be an counterfeit.

I would not place much stake in the ambiguous ANACS ID as 1863.
    Although it is similar to many 1863 patriotic tokens,
    many are easily eliminated, and there are no die matches.

• Options

Well as i said in the beginning i don't know much about the civil war tokens, so i'm not sure. all i know is it makes me feel better that it is in a slab. So i guess since some of you are still saying it could be a counterfeit where do i go from here?

HAPPY COLLECTING

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file