Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much do YOU spend on this hobby, on going basis, minus the actual coins/supplies?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talking about things like fees and publications.....

Fees like:
Safe Deposit Box
Local coin club fees
ANA fees
EAC fees
The bust half dollar guys...I think you have an org with fees, right?
etc....

Publications that come out on a schedule like:
Coin World
CDN
Etc

(not talking about 1-offs like books, etc)

Was just wondering about that as I could see how people could be spending hundreds of dollars a year and not really realize it ($26/yr here, $100/yr there, $50/yr here, etc) unless you have a budget you pay attention to or something. Sure, many numismatists seem very anally oriented in numbers/accounting, but, sometimes, when calling it a hobby, things are different.

At my peak, I think I was probably spending ~$500/yr on those types of recurring costs. I don't think I was on the low end, nor the high end for some (I know some folks had multiple SDBs, spread out of multiple banks, at that can really add up).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

SDB 2@$75/year
    ANA $50 I think annual dues w/ hard copy Numismatist
    Coin World $35/year I think
    COINAge Usually 3 year hits. I don't have my check book handy.
    If anybody can recommend a coin club in N.E. Tenn. PM me please
    My biggest expense is gas/food/lodging going to Balt./Whit. and airfare to Rosemont.

• Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

Local coin club $15/yr
    ANA $45/yr
    PCGS $150/yr
    Publications/Basic Supplies $185-$235/yr
    Travel expenses $500-$1200/yr

So minus travel expenses what you are spending sounds about right for the average numismatist.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2019 3:02AM

Annual ANA membership.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

$250 +-

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s just say a lot, like over a $1K easy.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beyond coins and books, the amounts are not that much. Club dues, magazine subscriptions, costs to go to a major regional or national coin show. Most important coins are purchased already slabbed, for instance.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Memberships to PCGS, JRCS and LSCC, not much...........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extra expenditures are mainly books and membership. No SDB's or magazines. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see ...

SDB - $20 (hey, senior citizen discount)
    ANA - $46
    SPMC - $39
    FUN - $20
    SCNA - $12
    Coin World - $59
    BNR - $30
    Assorted reference materials - a few hundred
    Slabbing Fees - Varies but probably several hundred
    Travel Expenses - at least a grand or more
    Exhibiting Materials - a few hundred

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much and not enough, at the same time.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

None for me.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

None for me.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less than $150, SDB and I need to renew my LSCC membership that's all.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my first year as an ANA member. I will renew, possibly upgrading to the hard copy magazine.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not forget the time spent. That's worth something.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not even want to think about it.

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Just coins, no memberships, nothing. My wife and I give ourself $300/mo spending money each. I may buy a couple coins with that or I may wait 4-6 months and buy a nice one.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only recurring expense is for a SDB. intermittently, I submit a batch of coins for grading or conservation, The last time was in early 2016 or 2017.

I attempt to minimize this type of expense, as I'd rather spend my coin budget on coins. I will pay for things that are directly related to the coins I collect, such as for reference books and catalogs, but not otherwise. It adds up.

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

This is what it is currently. Will likely go down in the future as I become a life member in more organizations or if I decide to drop membership.
    SDB: $60
    ANA: $0 (Life Member)
    ANS: $145
    CWTS: $0 (Life Member)
    TAMS: $30
    NBS: $40
    C4: $30
    EAC: $39
    SPMC: $39
    FUN ($5)
    Travel: Depends on year

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    Zero

I agree with ambro, but I did have to let loose with 5 clams last April for the CSNS.
    Now along with my coin purchases and fuel expense back and forth from the CSNS I have to let loose with a saw buck.
    :)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much and not enough. It’s weird but it all comes out even.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much annually - SDB free with account balance, ANA life member, no longer subscribe to the rags, PCGS membership for submissions, Shipandinsure.com to avoid lines at the USPS - the best deal of all! Probably $275 total.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

My work is more than willing to cover my interests in this hobby; club fees, publication. Only thing I keep up on is my Pcgs membership.
    They see it as a way to encourage me to remain part of the company and engaged in the collecting community. I have been a member of the local coin club for nearly ten years, president for two of them and currently VP. I do what I can to bring in members, some become customers.

• Options
    CoinNoviceCoinNovice Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

If you ask me, not enough.
    If you’re asking my wife, too much!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2019 6:02PM

Beyond inventory, shipping, and packaging supplies:

Beyond my CDN and PCGS collx club subscription nothing. Did not renew others CW, NN, BNR. Go with freebies / without.

1. I stay on budget number for inventory. Target matl can buy below bid (or small stuff can sell double bubble) / pays for Opex. The bids not going up and many of them won’t pay the money (retail) so little incentive increase inventory.
    2. I do buy books like red book, blue book (estate offers), and Krause North America Coins / Prices and Currency books.
    3. Pay Show table fees - 4 or 5 a year. A tough fixed cost to recover. Most coming in door broke / low payers. Nothing to sell worth buying or want too much.
    4. Pay eBay selling expense.
    5. Opex expenses of coin biz. - sch c
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2019 5:58PM

First, any of us that have enough money to spend on hobbies are truly blessed. I love having really neat coins, but the opportunity cost of owning them has changed my hobby outlay recently. I sold one not too long ago and I congratulated myself for making out rather well. Then I did the math. In reality, I owned it for about 5 years and it gave me a 3% ROI. A boring, intangible indexed mutual fund in my portfolio did a little over 10% for that same period.

I derived satisfaction from owning the coin during that time, but at some point the math starts to limit the enjoyment. To put it in real numbers, a $1000 coin appreciating at 3% "earns" $159 in that time. The mutual fund would have earned $610. Sadly, most of my coins have actually depreciated during the last 5 years...... which makes the comparison even more ugly. The engineer and math-nerd part of me can't get past some of it.

So, while I'm not about to do anything drastic, I think I'll work on my 7070 and Walker albums for a while. :)

• Options
    BrettPCGSBrettPCGS Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Including therapy costs?

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BrettPCGS said:
    Including therapy costs?

To some coin collecting is therapy.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to exercise some self control here! Don't make me think about yesterday. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since joining this site 5 years ago my purchases have decreased.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2019 6:53PM

10% of my Gross Income. :(

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple hundred bucks a year.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is about $125-150.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file