Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Authentication

I would appreciate some opinions regarding Richard Simon and his reliability for sports autographs. I posted this same message in the autographs forum but few people seem to visit that forum. In fact, I hadn't even noticed that it existed until this week.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

Everything I got from him is now in a PSA holder. No worries at all; great seller.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in favor of any thread that brings jimq112 to the forum.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

He's respected in the industry
    IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2022 1:10PM

Just for the record. I brought a bunch of items to JSA a client of mine bought from him years back and every one of them was deemed a fake.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to 100% ensure not getting a forgery is to not purchase autographs.

The FBI estimates that roughly 50 percent of vintage sports memorabilia on the market is fraudulent. Other experts put the figure closer to 80 percent. With so much available online, it can be difficult to distinguish between an authentic signature and a bogus one. To ensure that you’re getting the real thing, stick to items that have been authenticated by one of the leading third-party authentication services, such as PSA/DNA or JSA.

https://www.chubb.com/us-en/individuals-families/resources/what-not-to-collect-in-sports-memorabilia.html

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

i might try a different authenticator. Richard Simon is one of the best.

• Options
    edited February 14, 2022 2:37PM

Of course I can, but JSA is way better known than Richard Simon for authentication, and now looking at the differences between the real thing and the ones my client has, I can easily see it. So odd.

• Options

can you post scans of what you purchased?

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

This was one of 4 items presented to JSA at a card show. When I returned a couple hours later they asked where I got everything. I explained that a client had purchased them all from Richard Simon. Then they broke the bad news to me.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    This was one of 4 items presented to JSA at a card show. When I returned a couple hours later they asked where I got everything. I explained that a client had purchased them all from Richard Simon. Then they broke the bad news to me.

Mantle, DiMaggio and Williams all signed metric tons of items in the 80's and 90's and as i recall they are all at or near the top of autograph authentication submissions. As such they are the easiest for any "authenticator" to spot fakes. If JSA came to that conclusion I'm sure DNA easily will as well. Sorry man that sucks.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

Mr. Simon (to his credit) offers a lifetime guarantee on the autographs he sells....Your client should reach out to him.

IMF

• Options

The problem is my client bought these years ago, has no recollection of what he paid, and honestly doesn't possess the backbone to discuss this with Mr. Simon. Especially considering there are a multiple of items that are not authentic that he bought from him.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    The problem is my client bought these years ago, has no recollection of what he paid, and honestly doesn't possess the backbone to discuss this with Mr. Simon. Especially considering there are a multiple of items that are not authentic that he bought from him.

Forget about what was paid, I'd just reach out to start a dialogue.. Not sure a backbone is involved unless Simon's gonna say JSA is wrong! Since he is your "client", can't you do it on his behalf? Would be good for the community to hear what Simon does in this situation. Simon probably knows what your client paid.

• Options

I am going to give it a try. I will report back!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    The only way to 100% ensure not getting a forgery is to not purchase autographs.

The FBI estimates that roughly 50 percent of vintage sports memorabilia on the market is fraudulent. Other experts put the figure closer to 80 percent. With so much available online, it can be difficult to distinguish between an authentic signature and a bogus one. To ensure that you’re getting the real thing, stick to items that have been authenticated by one of the leading third-party authentication services, such as PSA/DNA or JSA.

https://www.chubb.com/us-en/individuals-families/resources/what-not-to-collect-in-sports-memorabilia.html

This is not necessary. The only way to 100% ensure not getting a forgery is to get one in person.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2022 1:28AM

@daltex said:

This is not necessary. The only way to 100% ensure not getting a forgery is to get one in person.

Hah, I did that and PSA said all my 1989-1991 spring training obtained Griffey Jr. autos could not be deemed authentic!

I'm not bitter or anything ;)

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, so many

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2022 8:20PM

@RufussCkingston said:

@daltex said:

Hah, I did that and PSA said all my 1989-1991 spring training obtained Griffey Jr. autos could not be deemed authentic!

I'm not bitter or anything ;)

Same thing happened to me when I subbed my dozen or so Trout's all at one time. I got them all when he was an 18 year old baseball america prospect in the low minors one season. Started sending them in one by one until all passed. Guess they figured noone would have that many early Griffey's or Trout's, so none must be real.