Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guy On eBay Sent Wrong Coin. What should I do?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2019 8:43AM

@BAJJERFAN said:
    We don't know that for a fact, but if that was the case then the onus is on the seller to get the correct coins either from the other buyer or from somewhere else.

???

If the other buyer has the correct coins, there is no "somewhere else" to go to get them.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@RedstoneCoins said:
    Bingo. It is ultimately the Seller's responsibility to send the right coins, whether from another source or by dipping into his own stash.

If the right coins were sent to somebody else, the seller can't send them to you until the other buyer returns them. And the coins you have (which belong to someone else) can't be sent to the proper buyer until you return them to the seller.

@RedstoneCoins said:
    In the name of practicality, I MAY consider sending back the wrong coin to the Seller first IF eBay says it's what I need to do to comply with eBay rules. But I've already trusted the Seller upfront with $3000. Now I have to trust him again and have nothing to show for it? Yikes. Sounds very risky.

eBay has money back guarantee. From eBay:

When a buyer wants to return an item or the item doesn't match the listing

After confirming that the item was returned to the seller, a refund of the cost of the item (less any loss in value, if applicable) and original shipping is sent to the original payment method or the buyer's PayPal account.

Thanks for quoting eBay's rules. Do you have a link to the page where you got that from, if I need to cite it to the Seller?

I have been through a previous scam on eBay before where the buyer sent a fake coin and did not send the other 13 coins I bought from him. It was also expensive, though not as expensive as this.

After eBay instructed me to go to the police and give my statement, then eBay refunded my money and told me to keep the coin. They did not tell me to send it back, which I thought was strange. They put it in writing to keep the coin.

This is why I am now awaiting both the Seller's and eBay's response. I do agree that it is most likely they will tell me to ship back the wrong coin first, but I want it to be official instructions from eBay, given the history of instructions I have received from them has varied based on the case. I also don't want any contradictory requests from the Seller or the police if they get involved. I'm just trying to obey the rules, and obviously if eBay tells me to give another police statement again I don't want to just ship the coin back without having gotten clear instructions first from whoever's in charge.

Thanks for showing the actual line in their rules. Where did you find that?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@RedstoneCoins said:
    Bingo. It is ultimately the Seller's responsibility to send the right coins, whether from another source or by dipping into his own stash.

If the right coins were sent to somebody else, the seller can't send them to you until the other buyer returns them. And the coins you have (which belong to someone else) can't be sent to the proper buyer until you return them to the seller.

@RedstoneCoins said:
    In the name of practicality, I MAY consider sending back the wrong coin to the Seller first IF eBay says it's what I need to do to comply with eBay rules. But I've already trusted the Seller upfront with $3000. Now I have to trust him again and have nothing to show for it? Yikes. Sounds very risky.

After confirming that the item was returned to the seller, a refund of the cost of the item (less any loss in value, if applicable) and original shipping is sent to the original payment method or the buyer's PayPal account.

That's poppycock. They are common coins. He can get them from other sources to fulfill his obligation. If I forward contract to sell my corn and for some reason I don't get a crop then I'm obligated to go out on the market and buy it [at a loss to me if necessary] in order to fulfill the contract.

All that being said contacting the seller first is the right approach.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

@MasonG said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    We don't know that for a fact, but if that was the case then the onus is on the seller to get the correct coins either from the other buyer or from somewhere else.

???

If the other buyer has the correct coins, there is no "somewhere else" to go to get them.

That's simply not true. The Seller could have multiples of the same coins I ordered from him. He may also have to simply buy them from another Seller in order to fulfill his obligation to meet our agreement. Every order on eBay is a contract. Technically he's in breach right now. Though obviously we're trying to resolve that without involving lawyers, and if possible, without eBay's support people.

Either way, his obligation was simply to send me what I paid him for. Assuming he did send my coins to another buyer (which there is presently no evidence of, even if possible or likely), he still is obliged to send me the correct coins: two 1oz Gold Buffaloes.

I would be happy to return the coin he sent to me back to him, at his shipping expense. But if the Seller doesn't respond (which he has not yet), or won't send me what I paid for (for reasons outside of my control), then I will feel obliged to leave a Negative feedback since he failed to keep his end of the deal.

If he truly sent the coins I ordered to someone else, and that person (hypothetically) were to lie and claim that there was nothing in the package to him other than his order as described, then I wouldn't leave a Positive feedback to the Seller if he just sends me a refund. The Seller fumbled the deal. The best I would do is leave him a Neutral feedback in that particular case, personally, because he should have been careful enough to not swap thousands of dollars in coins around to the wrong people. That's a fair and generous interpretation of events, assuming your hypothetical to be true.

Hopefully the Seller responds quickly, and this other buyer (if they received my coins) is honest enough to return them so everyone can get what they paid for. That's all I really want anyway. That and to not have my time wasted.

• Options

@RedstoneCoins said:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?id=4210

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2019 10:30AM

I don't see any sold listings on eBay for 2 buffaloes for $3,000, or one for 1,500 either. Gold is $1,500, no one should be selling them at $1,500 considering eBay fees. The seller would get more for their 2 buffs at their local dealer, and you could also buy them there as well and see actual coins that you get.

Get your $3,000 back from eBay, send the eagle coin back to the seller and move on with life.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:
    That's poppycock. They are common coins. He can get them from other sources to fulfill his obligation.

eBay policy requires that sellers deliver the items pictured. From eBay:

General guidelines for coins and paper money

Include a clear picture of the actual item being sold – don't use stock photos

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

???

If the coins weren't slabbed then does it really matter?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (leave comment)

@BAJJERFAN said:

@TomB said:
    The simplest and most direct course of action, in my opinion, is not listed. Get in contact with the seller and cancel the sale. Then return the coin he sent and buy from another seller. After all, we are talking about easily replaceable bullion.

How can you cancel a sale when you have possession of the goods?

Do a return, SNAD if necessary.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (leave comment)

Every day you wait to file an ebay claim hurts your chances of having a smooth return. Immediately file not as described claim.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:
    If the coins weren't slabbed then does it really matter?

I guess it would be up to the buyer to decide whether or not it mattered, wouldn't it?

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck whatever happens. This has been an educational discussion and I hope it ends in your favor.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (leave comment)

I'm sceptical as to whether the scenario presented is actually real.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Every day you wait to file an ebay claim hurts your chances of having a smooth return. Immediately file not as described claim.

It was yesterday when I messaged the Seller about the wrong coin arriving. He still hasn't responded.

eBay case has been opened given lack of response. But eBay says they won't do anything until October 2nd!

Reminds me of the last time I got scammed. Bought the item on January 2nd. Didn't get my money back until February! Meanwhile Gold went up from $1060/oz to $1220+ per oz in that short time. Cost me a lot more just to buy the same coins I was cheated out of, at the time.

Hopefully eBay will move swiftly this time.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (leave comment)

I have opened over ten thousand packages shipped from ebay sellers.

I have never once videotaped the opening of the package.

That seems very odd to me.

Very ;)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Privately message him to ask for coins I paid for; offer to return incorrect coin to him at his expense, but only after correct coins are in my possession; if he doesn't respond at all, or refuses to send correct coins, leave Negative feedback and get eBay involved

@RedstoneCoins said:

@MasonG said:

@RedstoneCoins said:

@RedstoneCoins said:

Thanks for quoting eBay's rules. Do you have a link to the page where you got that from, if I need to cite it to the Seller?

I have been through a previous scam on eBay before where the buyer sent a fake coin and did not send the other 13 coins I bought from him. It was also expensive, though not as expensive as this.

After eBay instructed me to go to the police and give my statement, then eBay refunded my money and told me to keep the coin. They did not tell me to send it back, which I thought was strange. They put it in writing to keep the coin.

This is why I am now awaiting both the Seller's and eBay's response. I do agree that it is most likely they will tell me to ship back the wrong coin first, but I want it to be official instructions from eBay, given the history of instructions I have received from them has varied based on the case. I also don't want any contradictory requests from the Seller or the police if they get involved. I'm just trying to obey the rules, and obviously if eBay tells me to give another police statement again I don't want to just ship the coin back without having gotten clear instructions first from whoever's in charge.

If eBay refunds your money, they have no use for the coin. The seller is out of the loop at that point.

• Options
    Privately message him to ask for coins I paid for; offer to return incorrect coin to him at his expense, but only after correct coins are in my possession; if he doesn't respond at all, or refuses to send correct coins, leave Negative feedback and get eBay involved

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Very ;)

People do it, but I doubt it would stand up in Court IF it is contested. It's too easy to fake the video.

• Options

@Aotearoa said:

Why? Mistakes happen

• Options

@Stork said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@TomB said:
    The simplest and most direct course of action, in my opinion, is not listed. Get in contact with the seller and cancel the sale. Then return the coin he sent and buy from another seller. After all, we are talking about easily replaceable bullion.

How can you cancel a sale when you have possession of the goods?

Do a return, SNAD if necessary.

This is a little tricky if you are returning a coin other than the one you purchased. A simple return won't work

• Options

@RedstoneCoins said:
    eBay case has been opened given lack of response. But eBay says they won't do anything until October 2nd!

eBay's policy gives the buyer three business days to respond. If you filed today, that would seem to indicate the next action eBay would take should be on Oct. 2.

• Options

@Aotearoa said:

The coin shown by the OP was listed on eBay along with several others, including a listing for two gold buffalos. The seller currently has one active listing, there are five closed ones. Of the five closed listings, four are for gold eagles/buffalos and one for a silver eagle. The seller has received 12 total positive feedbacks with just one in the past year, for the silver eagle.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Very ;)

When I was scammed out of almost $1700 when I got out of the Army, by a crook on eBay, I decided to never buy an expensive package again without witnesses and filming it. I learned the same thing in the Army: no witnesses, it didn't happen.

Video helps. Yes it can be edited, but reasonably speaking most people cannot do that or simply wouldn't even if they could. Legal consequences for false evidence can be severe if it goes to court, which the last time I was scammed on eBay, I did have to go to the police. Which I suppose if you lie to the police that's a crime. Hence why eBay wanted me to do it. Smart on their end to require that at the time.

You may have never filmed a package unboxing, but that's taking your own risk. You probably buy mainly from store sellers or retailers. I buy from small sellers all the time, and give the little guy a chance. Granted, there is risk with that.

I don't want to undergo the same nightmare I did last time. When I bought the coins on January 2, didn't get a refund from eBay until February! Cost me a lot of time and money just to go through the process and then buy real coins from an honest Seller.

Filming unboxings has been around for years. Some people use it to celebrate the arrival of a much-awaited purchase or gift. Others use it for insurance purposes like me. Either way, can't hurt to do it. So I figure, why not?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2019 2:59PM

I think the OP has been subjected to a lot of questions, second-guessing and even doubts about his veracity. And all of that, in spite of the fact that it doesn’t appear that he’s done anything wrong. Still, he’s been extremely responsive, thorough and polite in his replies. I doubt that many others would do the same (edited from “we’re”) were they in his position.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    I think the OP has been subjected to a lot of questions, second-guessing and even doubts about his veracity. And all of that, in spite of the fact that it doesn’t appear that he’s done anything wrong. Still, he’s been extremely responsive, thorough and polite in his replies. I doubt that many others would do the same, we’re they in his position.

Thank you.

Though on second thought, Bob may be a little right. Sometimes I'm a tad snarky. But never rude! (Unless treated rudely first).

Hahaha

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    I would contact the seller and return the only after I had possession of the correct coins.

What if the other buyer who received the wrong coins intends to do the same?

If the seller is on the level, which, at this point I very much doubt, I'd think eBay should have, or develop, some sort of escrow system for this type of situations. For example, put a hold on all payments to the seller. Require both buyers to send the incorrect items to the escrow location. Forward the packages upon receipt of both. Release the funds. A big pain for all concerned, but far more fair than expecting everyone to trust without reason to be trusted.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leaving negative feedback before having to get eBay/Paypal involved usually turns into a pretty ugly and stressful situation.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Return the items after opening a case. There is nothing complex here, except in hearts and minds.

• Options

Based on his past history, he's not a regular seller and may not check eBay every hour like some do. Not everybody is online 24/7/365. ;)

• Options

@MasonG said:
    Based on his past history, he's not a regular seller and may not check eBay every hour like some do. Not everybody is online 24/7/365. ;)

True.

That's where the eBay app comes in. Very useful to get an instant notification of a message from a Buyer, which I sent him one yesterday and another today.

• Options

So if he doesn't have the app, he wouldn't get your message? That would explain why you didn't get a response sooner. :)

• Options

He was probably busy reading the 81 responses to your post. Welcome to the forum! ;)

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedstoneCoins "That's where the eBay app comes in."

Can you show me how to load the app on this thing cuz I'm a little behind the times. :D
    Yes, this is really the phone I use

Some sellers may not be up with the times. ;)

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2019 9:52PM

I received the wrong medal once and I asked to return it and I did not hear from a seller for over a week, and was quite stressed. Took two months to get resolved so it was fair to everyone. Glad this is working out for you.

• Options

@daltex said:

@MasonG said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    I would contact the seller and return the only after I had possession of the correct coins.

What if the other buyer who received the wrong coins intends to do the same?

If the seller is on the level, which, at this point I very much doubt, I'd think eBay should have, or develop, some sort of escrow system for this type of situations. For example, put a hold on all payments to the seller. Require both buyers to send the incorrect items to the escrow location. Forward the packages upon receipt of both. Release the funds. A big pain for all concerned, but far more fair than expecting everyone to trust without reason to be trusted.

I actually had the idea to make a coin-exclusive business centered around that very idea. I wanted to call it the Coin Hub or Coin Guarantor or something like that. People would ship their coins to the hub, who would process, inspect, and ship the items, guaranteeing their authenticity and quantity. But then I realized how much money it would cost to build, and insurance and security you would need to protect the place, and decided against it.

Sometimes the flawed status quo is the path of least resistance. Though not necessarily optimum or ideal.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @RedstoneCoins "That's where the eBay app comes in."

Can you show me how to load the app on this thing cuz I'm a little behind the times. :D
    Yes, this is really the phone I use

Some sellers may not be up with the times. ;)

This is really mine, it's a work paid for phone :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @RedstoneCoins and I'm glad all worked out for you,
    In this age of instance communication/gratification, a few hours can seem like an eternity. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2019 6:18AM

Appears he mixed up your shipment with someone elses.

you can't expect him to let you hold the coin until he ships the correct coins. Do it the ebay way: Return wrong coin for refund and have him relist and send correct coins. Doing this through messages and not through "not as described" claim will expedite the process. Once refund is received he can begin the second sale.

And remember, no one is perfect. Probably an honest mistake. Give him the benefit of the doubt. Be courteous and all of the above steps can happen smoothly and more quickly.

If he sent the AGE buyer your two buffalos he likely will not get them back unless he sold to a very honest buyer.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Appears he mixed up your shipment with someone elses.

you can't expect him to let you hold the coin until he ships the correct coins. Do it the ebay way: Return wrong coin for refund and have him relist and send correct coins. Doing this through messages and not through "not as described" claim will expedite the process. Once refund is received he can begin the second sale.

And remember, no one is perfect. Probably an honest mistake. Give him the benefit of the doubt. Be courteous and all of the above steps can happen smoothly and more quickly.

If he sent the AGE buyer your two buffalos he likely will not get them back unless he sold to a very honest buyer.

He says he spoke with the buyer and he will be returning the extra 1oz Gold Buffalo.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedstoneCoins said:
    UPDATE:

Seller contacted me and offered to send a 2nd 1oz Gold Eagle proof. I accepted, contingent upon the condition being good.

He also told me that the buyer for the Gold Eagle was returning the extra Buffalo which was mistakenly sent to him, and was willing to accept keeping the 1oz Buffalo over the Gold Eagle he bought.

Very honest other buyer!

Okay, the Seller took a little longer than I was probably comfortable with in responding (given the amount of money involved), but the solution is acceptable to me. I'm assuming the other buyers' desire to hold onto a 1oz gold coin has overridden his desire for this particular coin, given the Seller's description of the situation.

I feel much better than an hour ago, when I was worried if the Seller would respond, or if the other buyer might lie. Whew! Weight off my shoulders!

Glad you are getting your second coin. I think you were very lucky that the other buyer was a honest buyer. I bet his eyes must of Buldged out of his sockets when he seen the extra gold coin. Personally I do not think Ebay would of voted in your favor especially if the seller disputed your claim. But all that is moot now and that was ONLY MY LAME OPINION! 😇

• Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    Other (leave comment)

I would want the coin returned to me if I sent the wrong thing AND I would want my buyer to get what they ordered. The only correct thing however, is to contact the seller to identify next step. He/she may have their own desires on how to fix the issue, our opinions, although freely offered, are of limited consequence

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, you should submit the coins received and see how they grade. :blush:

• Options
    RedstoneCoinsRedstoneCoins Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

Personally I do not think Ebay would of voted in your favor especially if the seller disputed your claim.

>

Why do you think that? I genuinely want to know why you think eBay would have taken the seller's side in the dispute, had he not been an honorable seller.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file