Home Precious Metals

Is palladium worth 71% more than platinum?

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I know that demand is a major consideration, but really - how is palladium priced 71% higher than platinum when platinum does everything that palladium does, and is tougher as well?

Asking for a friend. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019 5:46AM

Is a 3/2 in Miami worth 71% more than the same in St. Louis? Both serve same function.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might consider that Miami is overrated compared to St. Louis.

I knew it would happen.
  • RonBRonB Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's complicated.. Good read here:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4270121-platinum-vs-palladium-key-factor-holding-back-platinum-demand-price

"..Palladium demand is so high, in fact, that there are now reports, in the U.K. and U.S., of thieves stealing catalytic converters, sometimes in broad daylight, to extract the precious metal."

Collector of Classic US Coins
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

By my calculations, using palladium instead of platinum should add around $100 to the cost of a catalytic converter. That might not be enough to persuade carmakers to switch back to platinum.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have a technical analysis answer. I do appreciate that both are rising.
    There was discussion about $800 on platinum being a potential bottom price, for now. There was also a recent discussion on how these prices with palladium would not hold up, and for this long?!
    Yet, both are going up.
    As are the other precious metals which someone will point out.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

.. Another good read:

"Outlook for Platinum second half of 2019"

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4273673-outlook-platinum-second-half-2019

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019 3:42PM

In catalytic converters less dense Palladium can cover more area per gram, thus to cover the same area with platinum you would need roughly double to achieve similar results.

In the area of generally speaking they both have unique atomic structure and react quite differently with other components.

Here's another good read if you are sick of reading the same old autocat stories.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.org/news/2019-07-scientists-material-solar-cells-efficient.amp

It's all about what the people want...

Good stuff. As they say, education is priceless..

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what the quotes say...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

sorry the correct answer is both suck.

Don't buy either , ever, and the need for such questions will never arise

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggest go try to sell either and you will learn quickly that neither are worth anywhere near what the paper price says.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

Depends on the format. Been watching fleabay, the smaller Pamp Suisse veriscan and popular fractionals do quite well, slightly above spot. So do some medium Engelhards. The undocumented door-stop bricks are largely ignored.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been selling graded plats on eBay with good traffic and good success.

I understand bronco's point that there have been better places to put money, but money has had a lot of trouble in recent years finding a reliably profitable home in any event.

My only point is that platinum for me, at least, has risen satisfactorily above suck level, where quite a lot of stuff resides.

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    I suggest go try to sell either and you will learn quickly that neither are worth anywhere near what the paper price says.

That’s because of the price manipulation I thought everyone knew that?... anyways PGR at almost a 25 year low and if you do this that and this, then for sure because of that this and that, you gonna make alot of money and never have to worry about insurance again because the correlation always does the same thing, many have thought of it before, but many have also died trying it... so maybe keep an eye on it, could bring about a glut of gurus moving back out of the closet...

keceph `anah
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Oh is $20 worth more than $1500?...

keceph `anah

I just bought a graded 1/2 ozer at auction that was significantly over suck level. :)

I knew it would happen.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will happily stick with gold.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nearly twice as much tonight.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Gadzooks! Palladium is 90% higher than platinum now. :o

I knew it would happen.
  • It's interesting to read the text after PGM prices have collapsed.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@McConst said:
    It's interesting to read the text after PGM prices have collapsed.

Welcome to the forums! :)

They are both awful

So, now palladium is worth 191.7% more than platinum. $2,118 vs. $726 respectively, on Kitco.

I guess 71% more was a bit of an under-shoot.

I knew it would happen.

its like asking witch dog turd on the sidewalk is more appealing

*which

I knew it would happen.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you believe that they will get rid of internal combustion engines in our lifetime, that's the trend-line for Palladium. If everyone believes that we can achieve that in 5 years, it will take 20, you can make or lose a lot of $ playing that transition. Platinum does have a long history as a precious metal so might come back. There was a story out a few years ago that all the platinum in the world will fit in the average living room, but idk if that's still true (or ever was).

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    If you believe that they will get rid of internal combustion engines in our lifetime, that's the trend-line for Palladium. If everyone believes that we can achieve that in 5 years, it will take 20, you can make or lose a lot of $ playing that transition. Platinum does have a long history as a precious metal so might come back. There was a story out a few years ago that all the platinum in the world will fit in the average living room, but idk if that's still true (or ever was).

If PGM battery tech pans out for the electric vecihles that are slated to replace our internal combustion, then maybe they will enjoy demand for years to come...

https://investingnews.com/daily/resource-investing/precious-metals-investing/palladium-investing/amplats-pgm-next-gen-battery-technology/

Maybe

It's all about what the people want...