Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this 1896 O uncirculated? Worth taking a chance on?

Saw this coin and was curious for opinions, do you think this 96O is unc? The reverse photos leave a lil more to be desired but I can still see feathers on the eagles breast, but unsure if there is wear.
What do y'all think Unc or circulated? Worth taking a shot to see this in hand?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1896-O-Georgeos-Toned-Uncircualted-Super-Rare-Morgan-Dollar/183961628970?hash=item2ad4f7b12a%3Ag%3Ado4AAOSwDg5dgn16&LH_Auction=1

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, no and no.... I would not even contemplate this one... Just walk on by... Cheers, RickO

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks AU to me - see Liberty’s cheek and cap, among other areas. Also, seeing as how it’s listed as Unc. and reserved, my guess is that whatever “shot” you’d have to take would be at a price that wound you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that tempts you, I have a whole pile of stuff I'd like to offer you.

Yikes.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also lean towards AU, but it could be UNC.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2019 7:20PM

No, if it was uncirculated it would be in a slab that says uncirculated.

edited September 22, 2019 7:28PM

@skier07 said:

Obviously, that’s not necessarily the case. Nor is it a valid reason to assess the coin as being of lower than uncirculated grade/condition.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

???

Not commenting on the coin above, but I have uncirculated dollars that are not in slabs.

@MasonG said:

@skier07 said:

???

Not commenting on the coin above, but I have uncirculated dollars that are not in slabs.

Apparently, you don’t. 😉

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Apparently, you don’t. 😉

I guess it matters who you ask. ;)
    People are free to believe whatever they like. It's not like I could stop them, even if I wanted to.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2019 7:38PM

@MasonG said:

@skier07 said:

???

I’m sure you do and so do I. But if I was selling a $2000 “uncirculated” coin on eBay it would be slabbed and I wouldn’t be selling it for $49.

@skier07 said:

@MasonG said:

@skier07 said:

???

I’m sure you do and so do I. But if I was selling a $2000 “uncirculated” coin on eBay it would be slabbed and I wouldn’t be selling it for $49.

NGC and PCGS MS61’s have been selling in the $1200-$1400 range. But even if they were selling for $2000 (or more), what you would do if it were your coin isn’t necessarily what everyone else would do. And a current bid in an auction that has more than two days to go isn’t a sound basis for assigning a grade to the coin.

How about assessing the actual coin?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

@MasonG said:

@skier07 said:

???

90% of the population don't know that's a $2000 coin and don't even know what a slab is...other than something to put a house on.

THAT seller certainly knows what a slab is, but that still doesn't really prove anything:

I was at an auction last month that had a VF/XF 1799 dollar that was raw. The auction house sold it with the stipulation that you could submit to NGC through them and if it came back counterfeit the auction house would buy back the coin. Now, you might ask, why didn't they certify it first? The answer, quite simply, is that it was part of a larger estate and the estate wanted to settle quickly and didn't want to wait another month.

It is possible that coin is on consignment to the dealer and this is what the seller wants either for timing reasons or ignorance.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT AU. Hard pass.

@messydesk said:
    AT AU. Hard pass.

Sounds like an easy pass.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barely looks AU. Even by that pic you can see wear in the fields.

• Skrill90Skrill90 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    It looks AU to me - see Liberty’s cheek and cap, among other areas. Also, seeing as how it’s listed as Unc. and reserved, my guess is that whatever “shot” you’d have to take would be at a price that wound you.

Ahhh I typically use the rev to determine wear/grade, these identifiers are great to know from the observe prospective.
    Big thanks @MFeld

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Run Forrest Run !!!

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgeous does a good job toning - if the seller thought it was BU, they would have taken it out of the Capital holder and taken decent pics

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 (AT)... The toning does not look right on this one. I would not pay no more than $100 ~ $125 for it.
    I'm wondering what the seller's reserve is ??? Hmmm...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file