Home U.S. Coin Forum

How To Use Instagram for a Coin Business

2»

Comments

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    Have only just been getting on Instagram. My only real gripe is that the image dimensions cut off the edges of a TrueView slightly. You either have to center it with the edges sliced off, or just cut it in two and post two images.

You can pad the top and bottom of the image in an image editor to avoid cutoffs.

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been a great thread, learning myself as well. Thanks all for the tips and tricks, and @ErrorsOnCoins for asking the question.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Broadstruck said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins Silly you just filter Kitty Cat Ears & a Nose on your error coin photos to attract customers >:)

I think that's Pinterest :D

More like Snapchat.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • jafo50jafo50 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

Is a Post Office Box address an imperative on Instagram for security sake?

I'm assuming there is no sales tax requirement as there is on eBay.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jafo50 said:
    Is a Post Office Box address an imperative on Instagram for security sake?

I'm assuming there is no sales tax requirement as there is on eBay.

Great questions.

Can you leave off your address on a business Instagram account?

I have a home office and do not want drop bys.

Not going to be as easy as I thought ....

Step 2, get an Instagram App

Major Fail

Don't know my Apple Id, nor Password. Tried to rest 8 times to no avail. Called Apple to fix password. It did not work. Called again and may have finally figured it out but they won't let me reset the password until after 24 hours.

Geez :s

Step 2 and 3 check

Got app on phone, 3 hours.

Signed up and got my username ctf_error_coins, 4 minutes

Still stressed from trying to and getting the app so no writes ups. photos or posts for now.

Got to go chill out.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2019 12:58PM

I would recommend your name here, ErrorsOnCoins as your instagram name. You do not have to link facebook... I don't. I don't want my local friends/peers to know what I do/have. I would also not recommend a business account, until possibly later. I have over 1,400 followers just on a normal account.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @jwitten - easier to remember and to tag you when your name is straightforward like ErrorsOncCoins or CoineErrors, or NumisErrors, or EscapedTheMint, etc...

@jwitten said:
    I would recommend your name here, ErrorsOnCoins as your instagram name. You do not have to link facebook... I don't. I don't want my local friends/peers to know what I do/have. I would also not recommend a business account, until possibly later. I have over 1,400 followers just on a normal account.

No, My Business name is ctf_error_coins on eBay and my website.

I asked about changing my username here to ctf_error_coins which I can but my post count will go to zero and I start over.

Almost did that when I hit 10,00 and still want to and probably will.

If I start anew, it would be fun to post some parking lot change to start :D:o;)>:)

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jwitten said:

I asked about changing my username here to ctf_error_coins which I can but my post count will go to zero and I start over.

If I start anew, it would be fun to post some parking lot change to start :D:o;)>:)

ErrorsOnCoins is a lot cleaner and easier to remember than whatever your ebay and website name is.. lol. What does ctf stand for? Maybe you should change your ebay/website name...? ;)

@jwitten said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jwitten said:

ErrorsOnCoins is a lot cleaner and easier to remember than whatever your ebay and website name is.. lol. What does ctf stand for? Maybe you should change your ebay/website name...? ;)

It is my initials as my name is way too long for a business name. It came about from my nature photography business when my colleagues stating calling me CTF instead of Christopher Talbot Frank Photography. I have been using my current eBay and website for many years and have a large following so no change.

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins I’m your first follower! FranklinHalfAddict

@FranklinHalfAddict said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins I’m your first follower! FranklinHalfAddict

Thank you.

I now have 2 followers and zero posts lol.

The first few posts have to be perfect so I will work on them and post later tonight but most likely tomorrow.

A new world.

Question, as I um uploading images to my phone.

When posting an Instagram is it one photo per post or can I put more than one photo (say both sides of a coin) or are those two separate posts? I know I can combine two photos into one if needed.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the App you can add multiple images 2-3-4 and possibly more

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Question, as I um uploading images to my phone.

When posting an Instagram is it one photo per post or can I put more than one photo (say both sides of a coin) or are those two separate posts? I know I can combine two photos into one if needed.

After tapping the plus sign to add a post, tap the bottom right icon on the picture, which looks like two squares on top of each other. That lets you add more than one to a post.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent you a DM so you can figure out how to do that as well!

Surf

Dead people tell interesting tales.

@SurfinxHI said:
    Sent you a DM so you can figure out how to do that as well!

Surf

Umm, what's a DM?

Thanks to those who have followed me already while I have zero posts :)

I will upload some coins today.

I do not know the Instagram etiquette , so bear with me while I try to figure it out.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

DM is direct message. It’s basically the same as PM here. This will be the way most of your sales are made, people will “DM” you with interest or an offer and you will start a private conversation with them.

Where do I find the DM's as I do not see them on the app?

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Where do I find the DM's as I do not see them on the app?

On the upper right of the home page (this is where you usually come in and where your feed is), look for the triangle or "paper plane" icon. If it has a number, it means you have messages to read.

I just added my profile photos and my Bio.

My first post will be today which I find funny as I have zero posts (blank screen) with 11 followers, thank you all :)

Trying to get a handle on the hashtag thing.

So do I post a photo first on one post, then do a second post with the hashtags or the other way around?

Should I use all these hashtags or just some? Am I missing any?

errorcoins

coins

coin

numismatics

numismatic

coincollecting

coincollector

coincollection

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

oldcoins
    americancoins
    rarecoins
    oldmoney
    coinphotography

I'm sure there are more! You an also specify for certain coins. Lincolncent, penny, wheatcent, etc depending on what you are posting

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

ok, I am not clear how to put in the hashtags specifically where to do it.

I have not done my first post and want to do it right and have it clean and professional looking.

So I put in a photo, then write a description, then where do the hashtags go?

edited September 25, 2019 12:21PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    ok, I am not clear how to put in the hashtags specifically where to do it.

I have not done my first post and want to do it right and have it clean and professional looking.

So I put in a photo, then write a description, then where do the hashtags go?

Put it in the same post. At the bottom.

Your post....

#numismatics #coincollecting #coins #collecting #silvercoin #rarecoins #errorcoins #therestofyourhashtags

edited September 25, 2019 12:30PM

Thank you.

Bottom of the post.

Not in the comments, right?

Separated by one space as opposed to a comma? Correct?

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well you can do it either. I put it in the first comment

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Pick your images
    Hit next and hashtag away or give a message then hashtags

Thank you all.

3 days ago I knew nothing about Instagram and you all helped me get up to speed.

I just did my first post as ctf_error_ coins...... hashtag errorcoins

:):):)

Excellent 1st post!

Spectacular imaging

• OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Just followed and gave you a shout out- my Instagram is PA_Coins. I think you will really enjoy instagram

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just checked it out, a good start! I'm glad another collector has also jumped into the 21st century.

Ditto. I would also recommend posting some wow coins from your personal collection that are not necessarily for sale (if you have those).

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Just followed you!

edited September 25, 2019 2:31PM

Wow, thanks again all :)

What I learned from my second post ......

Instagram likes to crop photos so I learned how to delete a post and do minor fixes on Instagram with photos but the bigger fixes I did in photoshop.

Thanks to my daughter as she helped me in the above. Learning is good.

Still, need to reply to DM's and comments when I figure that out.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hitting it out of the park with two big $ posts....not sure if that is the crowd that I've seen there. Most stuff I see listed is between $15-200. Theres a few at the 3k level, but few and far between.

And, I'm not sure big$ is where you want to start. With few followers and posts, you might try to build a clientele more from the ground up.

I see you've referenced a handle....what about your Ebay handle too? Free advertising....

Dead people tell interesting tales.

@SurfinxHI said:
    Hitting it out of the park with two big $ posts....not sure if that is the crowd that I've seen there. Most stuff I see listed is between $15-200. Theres a few at the 3k level, but few and far between.

And, I'm not sure big$ is where you want to start. With few followers and posts, you might try to build a clientele more from the ground up.

I see you've referenced a handle....what about your eBay handle too? Free advertising....

Well I want to start big, right? Make a presence. Make a bold statement.

I do plan on putting up some lower-priced coins in the near future.

Yes, I need to reference my eBay handle, thank you. Do I just do that in some of my posts?

edited September 25, 2019 8:31PM

Wow, ok Instagram Naysayers, I posted my first photo less than 12 hours ago and I just hit 100 followers! :)

I am so amazed, in fact, blown away.

Thank you all :):):)

Numismatics is alive and well.

• AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Count me in as a new follower

edited September 27, 2019 7:58PM

First Instagram sale :):):)

Only took 3 days :o

The last coin I just posted seconds ago, just sold, the super nice PCGS Nickel Struck on Struck Cent is no longer available for sale.

Hashtag errorcoins

Dealing with some of these IG buyers...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file