Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great Worn Coins

NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lot to appreciate with worn coins that have done their duty in commerce. I tend to like nice well-circulated coins as much as AU and MS coins. Coin collecting should be enjoyed by all.

Post your favorite worn coins! Let's see those great looking circ-cams and other worn coins, slabbed or raw.

I'll start with a 1794 half dollar T-11 PCGS G4 CAC that I purchased from the Newman collection. Eric Newman was a great researcher, author, and collector. As a compleat numismatist, Newman collected coins in all grades, and he liked 1794 half dollar die varieties:

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Comments

• Options

The 1807 T-2 DS 3, 1, PCGS VF25 is interesting as the obverse die has sunk, with weakly struck centers obverse and reverse. JA liked it and bestowed a CAC sticker:

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

1801 Half Dime PO01

That's definitely 1800

Trade $'s
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does FR stand for? Fried? :D

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nysoto said:
    The 1807 T-2 DS 3, 1, PCGS VF25 is interesting as the obverse die has sunk, with weakly struck centers obverse and reverse. JA liked it and bestowed a CAC sticker:

I have her twin sister:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:
    So much history in those coins. If only they could speak.

That is part of the coolness about coins.

Anyone could have had some of these pictured coins in their pocket at one time, including George himself. :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:

1801 Half Dime PO01

That's definitely 1800

Yes, that was a typo. Thanks!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    edited September 26, 2019 10:39AM

ARCO{

No plastic. Sort of like seeing a young person with no tattoos. Wow, how refreshing. :)

Some explanation of the image background: "Scot Philad" is the signature of Robert Scot on a 1791 copperplate engraving from Dobson's Encyclopædia (I love typing æ!). Robert Scot and Thomas Dobson, both Scottish immigrants, joined forces to publish the first encyclopedia published in the US. I have one of the few sets remaining of Dobson's Encyclopædia, which came out of a nineteenth century library of a women's prison in Massachusetts.

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and David Rittenhouse all had sets of Dobson's Encyclopædia. Robert Scot created historically important engravings for Washington and Jefferson during the American Revolution, and Scot was a highly sought after and respected engraver during that time. A common numismatic myth is that Scot was a watchmaker with little engraving talent, but that is simply false information - Scot was well known for his engraving talent by Washington, Jefferson, and Rittenhouse many years prior to the establishment of the US Mint.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are about half of my AG-Fine early quarters

Old images I've shown many times, really need to take this collection out and take new pictures some day. Now have almost all of the marriages and many additional die states.

Topstuf's 1796 would be right at home 😁

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a few slicks that I just love...
    photo IMG_0240_1.jpg
    photo IMG_0241_1.jpg

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2019 8:44AM
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Market Analysis: Well-worn Proof 1837 quarter eagle, recent discovery, brings $7,800

By Steve Roach , Coin World

Published: Sep 17, 2019, 9 AM

1837-gold-lead
    This Proof 1837 Classic Head quarter eagle has lost its reflective fields, but can be identified as a Proof by die diagnostics. Graded by NGC as Good Details, Mount Removed, it sold for $7,800 on Aug. 13.

A Proof coin can still be a Proof piece, even when it has lost its reflective fields and frosty devices. This 1837 Classic Head gold $2.50 quarter eagle offered in Rosemont Aug. 13 is one of only five confirmed examples.

NGC graded it Good Details, Mount Removed. Remnants of the mount are visible at the top of the obverse, and the cataloger writes, “Obviously a former jewelry piece, both sides of this piece are curiously glossy in texture with numerous handling marks peppering the surfaces.”

John McCloskey’s study of the series shows that the subject coin’s specific die marriage (McCloskey 3) was produced as a Proof strike. Diagnostics, including two pale gules in the stripes of the shield on the reverse, as opposed to three as seen on circulation strike quarter eagles of this date, remain visible despite significant wear.

Its exact mintage is uncertain since Proof coins weren’t sold in an organized way directly to general collectors until 1859, and this coin was only recently discovered and confirmed by Stack’s Bowers prior to the coin’s consignment to the firm's auctions at the American Numismatic Association World’s Fair of Money.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering when the gold would show up. Here's a picture of a 74-CC $5 that has seen its share of commerce. It's in a PCGS VF25 holder.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:

Old images I've shown many times, really need to take this collection out and take new pictures some day. Now have almost all of the marriages and many additional die states.

If you do take new pictures, you should post them all in a dedicated thread to showcase your set! Given my love for lower grade bust quarters, your set is “the ultimate collection” in my eyes.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll...... s t r e t c c h........ for "eye candy" but I will also pick up any coins that I want for type in a lower grade.
    Works for me. :)

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2019 2:43PM

@Baley said:

;):DB)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some really nice coins in this thread.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file