Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1894 S NGC to PCGS *Crack out*

FlackthatFlackthat Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 21, 2019 7:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently cracked an 1894 S NGC MS63 and sent it to PCGS. It came back a full grade lower.
What are your thoughts on the grade?

ANA Member
PCGS Platinum Member

_Successful BST transactions with:
McGrump, Spummybum, Tightbudget, JasonRiffeRareCoins, PerryHall, Blu62vette, Sandman70gt, BobSav, Dscoin, Pnies20, JTHawaii, Meltdown

Comments

• Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

Seems about right to me the TV really shows how banged up her face is.

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a feelin the luster isn't there thats why.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bagmarks on the face aren't helping. What do you think the grade should be?

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

Fully lustrous MS 63 coin

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am really, really on the fence on this one.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look close at the true VIEW theres quite a few nasty hits on her face I'm thinking a 62 is right

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the coin, not the holder. And make sure you feel good about the grade on that holder too.

thefinn
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    Buy the coin, not the holder. And make sure you feel good about the grade on that holder too.

Oft-repeated but good advice.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many marks to call "choice." PCGS got it right.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the grade... a lot of chatter on the cheek (COTC... a new acronym :D ) Not one I would have purchased.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

That darn cheek is a chatter magnet, PCGS just calling it as they see it.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2019 5:13AM

In this case I actually agree with pcgs assessment

I might add, years ago, I had a guy come in with a fabulous 94-s, probably a 64 easily, but it was raw. I offered him a (what I thought was fair) but apparently not. I figured it at 63 money just to be safe , as you never know how the grading services will be. He took it to another shop , and came back for my offer, the problem was the last shop he went to the dealer switched out the coin on him. It was not the same. He said the guy carried in back to look at it closer??
    anyway he learned a hard lesson.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:

I might add, years ago, I had a guy come in with a fabulous 94-s, probably a 64 easily, but it was raw. I offered him a (what I thought was fair) but apparently not. I figured it at 63 money just to be safe , as you never know how the grading services will be. He took it to another shop , and came back for my offer, the problem was the last shop he went to the dealer switched out the coin on him. It was not the same. He said the guy carried in back to look at it closer??

Shady operations like you cite should be grounds for law enforcement action, switching coins is serious fraud.

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

This has happened to me a few times over the years. While I have nothing against NGC, I simply prefer PCGS since they tend to bring more at auction. Not that I've ever sold any, rather it gives me an idea of how they appreciate over time.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2019 8:19AM

@Ebeneezer said:
    This has happened to me a few times over the years. While I have nothing against NGC, I simply prefer PCGS since they tend to bring more at auction. Not that I've ever sold any, rather it gives me an idea of how they appreciate over time.

The amount a coin brings is only part of the equation. Another extremely important one is it’s cost. If grading company X’s coins typically sell for 10% more than grading company Y’s, as long as you’re buying the latter for a similar % discount, you’re no worse off.

Perhaps it’s been published somewhere - I’d like to see a historical chart of the PCGS to NGC price premium for various coins over a period of many years.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS CAC often (more than often) worth more than plain NGC a grade up.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice 63 to me. Better date.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this coin could be either grade on any given day, you just happened to get unlucky on this day which is the gamble of a crackout of a liner coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:

Sad.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on the fence on this one. I've seen 63's with this many contacts before. I think the 62 was more of a conservative grade.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it as a 62, but I tend to be a little tough on Morgans. A Peace dollar with a face like this would never make it into a 63 holder.

Could be worse. It could've come back as a no-grade. :)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see it in a 61 holder.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the TV's dont help the coin and perhaps in hand the obverse cheek does not look as banged up.

This said I would say the obverse is a 63 while the reverse is for sure a 62. So, NGC might have graded from the obverse and pushed it through calling it ms63 while pcgs said, "the reverse has too much chatter and the coin cant go into a 63 holder".

I could actually see this coin in either holder and being ok with it. Probably should be 62+

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 more thought- the luster especially from the NGC photos does look washed out and the brown streak around 9 ocklock on the obverse might be dip residue making me also think the coin was slightly overdipped. That could also limit a grade

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts are that because of the guarantee the grading services are not going to overgrade power coins like this as they have in the past. This one tipped on the good side of the fence years ago at NGC but on the safer side at PCGS with today's grading standards and net grading.

Crack out cost you a couple hundred bucks.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree but they are usually CC's.

@bsshog40 said:
    I'm on the fence on this one. I've seen 63's with this many contacts before. I think the 62 was more of a conservative grade.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could see it as a 63 or a 62.

Send it in 10 times it may come back 63 on 5 of them.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019 1:53PM

Looks 63 in the TruView. Looks 62 in the slab photo. I wouldn't second guess the professional who actually had it in hand.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Looks 63 in the TruView. Looks 62 in the slab photo. I wouldn't second grade the professional who actually had it in hand.

Which one?😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...62 is an unattractive grade on a TPG label as I have seen numerous problem coins in 62’s over the years...with that said, this coin looks to have no problems other than honest bag hits. Nice better date S Morgan in MS in PCGS plastic is a good thing. 62’s rarely hit for me at CAC also over the last 4 years, probably because they had problems, honestly. I would still send that one in to JA cause it has a chance to sticker. Good Luck and Nice Morgan ;)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Looks 63 in the TruView. Looks 62 in the slab photo. I wouldn't second grade the professional who actually had it in hand.

Which one?😉

Either one. LOL. If it's right on the border, I can easily see an ATS 63 being a PCGS 62.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2019 1:56PM

Speaking for myself only (as usual) I would have left the coin in its NGC holder. Why spend another $50 on this coin? Why not take the $50 one would spend to grade the coin again on an actual coin?

After all, it's the same coin regardless of what holder it's in. This is part of the problem with number grading system. Let the coin's price be the only number to care about unless a variety of some kind.

Uncirculated,Select Uncirculated (which is what the '94'S is in my and PCGS's opinion) ,Choice Uncirculated, Gem Uncirculated, and Superb Gem Uncircuated are the only grades needed for uncirculated coins.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@mr1874 Somewhere in these comments I wrote the reason. The slab was cracked on the reverse and I could not see the coin clearly. Instead of sending it back to NGC I cracked it and sent it to PCGS. In no way was I expecting an "upgrade" on this one.

Don't feel bad. I have a 1900-O dime that PCGS graded XF 45. Problem with the holder. An obnoxious mark on the plastic right in the center of the coin. The mark would cast a shadow as one viewed the coin from different angles.

Cracked it out and don't intend to resubmit. Probably would get no better than XF 40 if I did submit it but I don't care about the coin's number. My no number rule applies to circulated as well as uncirculated coins. What ever happened to letting the coin speak for itself and, if selling, letting the price be the final word?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    What ever happened to letting the coin speak for itself and, if selling, letting the price be the final word?

Fair question. I imagine you'd get a variety of responses, depending on where it's asked. Seeing as how this is the PCGS message board, well...

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% agree with grade. That thing looks like it fell into a blender.
    Chance you take in the crack out game.

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Luster does look a little washed out, especially on a date that comes with really nice luster. No downside to resubmitting it again for regrade. The 62 and 63 grades on Morgans are really close...one more grading fee and spin the Wheel of Fortune again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file