Home Sports Talk
Options

Did you get your fill of MLB home runs this year?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

May as well let the pitching coaches lob the balls into their own hitters.

Save some arms and payroll.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t watch a single game. Sox are awful so I won’t even watch a playoff game either. I do keep an eye on the stats and like the big HR numbers though

• Options

No games here either. I do pick up the am radio chatter and check the standings once a week or so.

Looks like 3 teams will have 100 loses.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always like a monster HR! Put the flap down and trot around the bases starring at the pitcher. :s

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

From 1968 t0 1998, MLB offense increased considerably - hits by 15%, total bases by 27% - and along with it came an increase in strikeouts of 11%.

Since 1998, MLB offense has actually declined - hits by 8% and total bases by 4% - but strikeouts have increased 29%. I haven't heard this mentioned in all the hoopla about how many homers are being hit, but for the first time in MLB history more batters now strike out than get a hit. In 1968, at the depths of the deadball era and before there was a DH, there were 34% more hits than strikeouts; last year and this year, strikeouts are slightly more common than hits.

If you think 1998 is a bad breakpoint, because of the steroid issue, then we can go back all the way to 1978. Since 1978 hits have declined 2%, total bases have increased 10%, and strikeouts have increased a whopping 78%. I've said many times, because it's true, that the best hitters will generally strike out a lot; the reward great hitters get is vastly more total bases (and walks) than lesser hitters. What we have today is a league full of hitters who think they're great, but aren't. They're getting a very modest amount more total bases, and making vastly more outs.

(all amounts are per team)

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    MLB players are now locked and loaded for extra base hits with little concern at all for singles.... their swings are all adjusted to put balls in the air .... home runs are the driver of scoring.... I miss small ball, bunting, hitting and running. The defensive shift has also made hitters strive to hit the ball in the air over the toxic shifts ...How would Ozzie Smith get into the HOF today playing in center and right field 60% of the time from Shortstop?....Ryne Sandberg at 2nd base ~ would he even be recognized today for his prowess playing all over the field? The shift has muddied the waters to the point that I cant even think of defensive infielder worthy of the HOF based on his defense......... and of course with the juiced ball everybody is hitting slicing opposite field HELIUM floaters over the fence for 330 foot homers ~among all the others. The ball is on dope just like Barry Bonds was. The game is HOME RUNS, bases on balls, strikeouts and OPS...... 96 mph pitches were very rare in the 70's and 80's ... now everybody throws at least that octane. With velocity now at such a high priority an Aaron Judge single hit at 112 mph gets to the outfield so quickly runners from 2nd don't even score half the time. Same goes for runners trying to score from 1st base on a double in the gap.... so you get a lot more station to station baseball ...why even risk stealing 2nd when every body is hitting homers anyway?... its a bad investment.

Keep an eye on Ozzie Albies. As for the original question posed, nope.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hope this not end up with rule changes that put the pitchers in charge. One year they made the pitchers’ mound higher. That was year Carl Yastrzemski was the only .300 hitter in the American League. Talk about dull.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty happy about it ;-)

GO TWINS!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I just hope this not end up with rule changes that put the pitchers in charge. One year they made the pitchers’ mound higher. That was year Carl Yastrzemski was the only .300 hitter in the American League. Talk about dull.

They may net off the outfields. Long ball will be a double.

;)

• Options

Yea, it will be like "areana baseball."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

And yet with all of the home runs, only one player currently has 50. In the 90’S there were several with at least 60 so it’s more hitters hitting them in a very parity way

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@3stars said:
    And yet with all of the home runs, only one player currently has 50. In the 90’S there were several with at least 60 so it’s more hitters hitting them in a very parity way

Ah, no, the answer is they are policing the guys who might be taking steroids.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The season is not over.......there will be many more!