Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is cool.
    I wonder what occasion the the Easton Fire Department awarded the coveted "Baby bird poops half a football" token warranted the creation of this masterpiece?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice I like it

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

My little “chickadee” comes to mind. Cool find @jabba.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I LOVE it @jabba ...... of course I am very partial to any feather friend :)

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    Now that is cool.
    I wonder what occasion the the Easton Fire Department awarded the coveted "Baby bird poops half a football" token warranted the creation of this masterpiece?

Darn
    I thought it was the Elgin, Illinois Fire Dept. and that Pacman was going to get the chick.

thefinn
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice gold love token...@LordMarcovan is a good source for these....Interesting how the edge was done...looks like continuous overpunching of letter punches, the M specifically.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2019 5:19AM

It does kinda look like Pac-Man. :D

Or one of the ghosts from Pac-Man, anyway, perhaps drunk and passed out on its side.

@ricko- interesting observation about the border design. It does indeed look like an "M" punch could have been used repeatedly, in an overlapping manner, though I'm not entirely sure about that. Something else would have had to be used for those deeper triangular indentations.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2019 5:03AM

@jabba- I too wondered if there were die diagnostics to determine the mint of the host coin. An intriguing riddle.

I love love tokens and was all set to start yet another collection of them, to hang on my former trademark "Holey Coin Hat", which got denuded of its gold after I hit financial dire straits in 2008.

And I might do just that. But I think I'll try to do it casually and cheaply. Collecting better (i.e., three-figure) love tokens like this piece would drain too many of my limited resources away and put that collection in competition with my primary one.

So I decided to pass it along. I'm glad you like it. You should. Despite the rather unsophisticated, folksy carving, it is a very special piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2019 5:14AM

BTW, the host coin is a quarter-eagle, for those who can't see the scale in the photos.

And given the "hatching chick" motif, it was almost certainly a christening gift.

Like ol' "Pete", here, which was one of the better pieces in my first LT collection (long since sold to a forum member here, though I can't remember to whom).

This was a PQ pictorial love token. But not gold. Imagine if the engraving on the OP coin was of this quality. Whoo-ee, that would really be something!

But the "E.F.D." chick has its own whimsical charms. And a scarcer host coin, for sure.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've owned a number of love tokens that got passed down to me within the family.
    But the one I like the most is this one - my only gold piece. Sorry for the carpy cell pics.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

what came first, the chicken or the egg ???

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file