Home U.S. Coin Forum

I feel a grading tuition payment coming on...

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today's flea market loot. Looking for errors and high grades of course. Happy hunting people :)

Comments

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you paid under melt for the 90% and face value for the rest of that stuff.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a ton of FUN is calling you :)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... All that from a flea market? Sounds more like a coin show to me. I went to a gun show yesterday... not a coin in sight ... though there were an abundance of political tokens... Cheers, RickO

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:
    Hope you paid under melt for the 90% and face value for the rest of that stuff.

Not much silver in there to begin with, the 44 dime and only 7 quarters in the book, both of which came from an antique store on the way home from the flea market. Turns out, the owner is a collector but, doesn't bring much to the shop because fear of being robbed. So, a new connection is cool.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you really want to be putting your hard earned money into "stuff" like that?

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:

No, not really. In fact I now have a butt load of useless proof/mint sets. And I think its time to switch gears just not sure where it's at. I have taken a liking to Lincolns & Washingtons, hence selling all others currently on the BST.

The reality is starting to hit me, that maybe finding and making these coins doesn't happen as easily or often as I would like.
    And I should start shopping online more and/or learn how to walk away from such "stuff".

I am wide open to any ideas you may have.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@291fifth said:

No, not really. In fact I now have a butt load of useless proof/mint sets. And I think its time to switch gears just not sure where it's at. I have taken a liking to Lincolns & Washingtons, hence selling all others currently on the BST.

The reality is starting to hit me, that maybe finding and making these coins doesn't happen as easily or often as I would like.
    And I should start shopping online more and/or learn how to walk away from such "stuff".

Look at numismatic areas outside of US coins. Find something that is both interesting to you and not yet fully priced in the marketplace. This will take some study on your part. Put away your wallet until you have a better idea of where your collecting ventures are going.

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth . That’s an interesting idea but I am only scratching the surface on US coins (pun intended @Insider2). However, I like your advice regardless of where my interests may fall. And it’s got me thinking.
    Thanks!

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@291fifth said:

Look at numismatic areas outside of US coins. Find something that is both interesting to you and not yet fully priced in the marketplace. This will take some study on your part. Put away your wallet until you have a better idea of where your collecting ventures are going.

I switched to the darkside, way more history and variety. US coin designs have been stuck in a rut since 1964.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel a CLCT dividend payment coming on. ;)

@CoinscratchFever said:

@291fifth said:

Do I have to say "I told you so"? LOL.

We all start down roads that we decided to turn off at one time. But I would still suggest, as I did at the beginning of "our relationship", I would focus on the enjoyment of the coins themselves and not think of it as a way to win the lottery. The fact is that most people, probably 95%, do NOT make money off their coin collections when inflation and opportunity costs are taken into account. But 100% of collectors who don't care about selling for a profit (@ricko) have a great time with the hobby.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

First step. Practice quality over quantity and use patience to build your collection. Yes you’ll miss the dopamine hit of frequency buying, but you’ll save money avoiding collection churn.

In between, spend some of that youthful energy looking at a lot of graded coins to build your “eye” so when the right coin comes along you’ll know it.

Collect coins with good to great eye appeal. You may not fully recognize these, but you will with experience. Watching a few auctions could help you in this regard.

I’ve been collecting for a long time on a limited budget and only have about 18 coins/tokens. I love them all, but it takes self discipline to take this approach. And yes, I’ve made my share of mistakes along the way.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019 12:38PM

Are you a coin collector/hobbyists or a coin dealer/seller? Both?

Some who do both are doing it to fund their coin hobby. It is also a good indicator when you try to sell something and you still have it months later... not to get anymore of whatever it is since no one wants it even at below rock bottom prices.

Just a thought.

@Hemispherical . That is a very good question and I guess I currently fall into the hobbyists category with the intent to be a collector. But, since I sell almost everything that grades well, I'm probably more of an opportunist with a growing affection. You ever seen the movie "Fools Gold" I'm the dorky side-kick not the Lincoln car guy. :D

@jmlanzaf said: I would focus on the enjoyment of the coins themselves and not think of it as a way to win the lottery.
    Yes, you were right and I knew it all along. I'm just very stubborn and don't always listen to the voice of reason.
    However, as I'am beginning to realize the difficulty of the tougher grades my appreciation grows.
    P.S. Still looking for the '58 dd

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @jmlanzaf said: I would focus on the enjoyment of the coins themselves and not think of it as a way to win the lottery.
    Yes, you were right and I knew it all along. I'm just very stubborn and don't always listen to the voice of reason.
    However, as I'am beginning to realize the difficulty of the tougher grades my appreciation grows.

LOL. Looking for the 58 DD is definitely not worth your time. There are almost definitely NONE in the wild. The only known examples came from one man who allegedly had a connection to the Mint. It might well be Mint Shenanigans.

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

LOL. Looking for the 58 DD is definitely not worth your time. There are almost definitely NONE in the wild. The only known examples came from one man who allegedly had a connection to the Mint. It might well be Mint Shenanigans.

Makes sense to me seeing how it was 3 years after the '55 but, wait a minute, when was the '55 discovered?

@CoinscratchFever said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Makes sense to me seeing how it was 3 years after the '55 but, wait a minute, when was the '55 discovered?

Pretty quickly. There were thousands of them, many in cigarette packs.

You could find a 1968-S no S or something like that, although most likely it would have to be in a sealed box. But I doubt you'll find one in open sets.

True story: I once bought a 1968-S no S proof set at an estate auction. It was in the auction in an open box. The consignor and auctioneer didn't know. One guy could have won it easily for little money except he opened it, saw the missing S and felt the need to tell everyone that it was a no S proof set. LOL. I ended up winning it for $1000 at the time and flipped it for a nice profit. But the dummy who couldn't help but brag about what he found probably could have bought it for $5. I wasn't about to waste time opening dozens of proof sets nor were most other people as there were much better items there to be inspected.

edited September 23, 2019 1:58PM

@Catbert said:
    First step. Practice quality over quantity and use patience to build your collection. Yes you’ll miss the dopamine hit of frequency buying, but you’ll save money avoiding collection churn.

In between, spend some of that youthful energy looking at a lot of graded coins to build your “eye” so when the right coin comes along you’ll know it.

Collect coins with good to great eye appeal. You may not fully recognize these, but you will with experience. Watching a few auctions could help you in this regard.

I’ve been collecting for a long time on a limited budget and only have about 18 coins/tokens. I love them all, but it takes self discipline to take this approach. And yes, I’ve made my share of mistakes along the way.

Great advice! Now, I have had maybe 50 or 60 coins graded. And I can say I have learned quite a bit about what a Lincoln and/or a Washington is supposed to look like (not so much in the others).
    I'm gonna try and pull back on buying coins for a minute and get a good camera/lens. So, I can get better advice here on any one particular coin that is. Because it never fails that my images are not enough for the experts to go by, and rightfully so.

• TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

Trade Dollars with chop marks!!

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file