Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Rarest Series for Major Error Cents is The Shield Cent and Here is a Big one .......

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love ultra-modern major error coins because they are so much rarer than coins produced before 2002.

This one will go to PCGS for certification. I have brokered 3 Major Sheild Cent Error Coins and I only know of one other Major Sheild Cent Error. An extremely rare series for major error coins.

Enjoy, Chris

Comments

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paperchasesue on ebay sells them. They usually sell at a good price too. Nice example!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow nice

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Nice example, EOC. :)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep.... I would call that one a 'major' error....You do find the big ones....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 22, 2019 10:06AM

I hope all the errors fit on the PCGS label ...

Triple or Multi Struck, last strike Off Center
    Huge Broadstruck
    Large Struck Thru
    Perhaps more, anything other errors?

What would you call the circular line on the bottom of the first image and the top of the second image?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a wonderful mess of an error! Was that in a bank bag? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice piece. Hang onto that one

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

@goldenegg paperchasesue is still around?! I was buying errors from them on eBay back in 2000. I figured they must have had good access to bank bags given what they were selling.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love these types of posts from you @ErrorsOnCoins Very,very cool!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I love these types of posts from you @ErrorsOnCoins Very,very cool!

Thank you.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    @goldenegg paperchasesue is still around?! I was buying errors from them on eBay back in 2000. I figured they must have had good access to bank bags given what they were selling.

She is absolutely still around, I would wager at least two-thirds of the zinc cent clips in my set came from her. I have no idea how she does it, but for 15 years she has been the single best source anywhere for zinc clips, up to and including the shield reverse coins.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    What would you call the circular line on the bottom of the first image and the top of the second image?

I would describe it as a collar scar, though that is based on the old vertical striking machinery, I could be way off on how those marks came to be on a horizontally struck coin.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

It appears to be triple struck, with the first strike off-center and uniface on the reverse (upper) side, the second strike centered and die-struck both sides, and the third strike off-center and uniface on the obverse (lower) side. Of course, there's a major struck-through error on the reverse, most likely from a floating encrustation.

Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options

Actually, it's quadruple-struck, with two relatively well-centered strikes interposed between the two off-center strikes. Complex, whichever way you look at it.

Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options

My opinion keeps changing as I look at it. Right now it appears the first strike was centered, the second strike off-center and uniface, the third strike centered, and the fourth strike off-center and uniface. I also see evidence of additional strike lines. Very cool error.

• Options
    edited September 27, 2019 1:38PM

Thank you, Mike.

Yes, there is a lot going on. The date 2016 itself shows a double strike so at least 4 strikes

Will Fred be able to fit it all on the label? :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file