Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the best coin you've found in a car, chair, or sofa?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 21, 2019 8:51AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Although most of you probably have never checked out old cars or stuck your hands under cushions, some of us have in the past. For those who have, what is the best thing (especially coins) you've found? Dust, dirt, and nothing have already been reported. :p

I'll start:

Coin: XF 1930 25c (old armchair).
Thing: 14-carat gold loop earring (car seat).

Comments

• Options

@Smudge said:
    A cop took all of the coins on my floorboard.

Why was he searching your car? Faulty taillight?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Smudge said:
    A cop took all of the coins on my floorboard.

Why was he searching your car? Faulty taillight?

Joking.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Franklin Half Dollar in the 70's.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2019 9:05AM

In 1979 I was visiting my parents and doing some nickel roll searching while sitting on a chair in the livingroom. I dropped a nickel between the cushion and armrest and when I reached down to retrieve it I pulled this 1918 Buffalo Nickel out instead of the nickel I had dropped. The ensuing search also yielded the 1944-D Walker. I'm thinking it's time for an acetone bath.

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

My grandma used to collect antiques and found a mercury dime in the bottom of an old butter churn she picked up. She gave me the dime as I was already collecting coins at that point.

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

In the early 1970's we got some used living room furniture from my great aunt and uncle, I found several silver quarters and dimes in them. Though my best find was an 1865 3 cent piece found when we replaced the tin ceiling in our living room about the same time.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

My daughter found $500 in cash (5 $100's) under the spare tire of a car she once owned when she had a flat.
    I've lost two pocket CC Morgans on plane flights in past. So, should be two people out there with a good story. One was a 78 and the other a 79, just for clarity.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quarter that was worth a quarter. :(

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found an 1877 20c raw PR63CAM under my stove about 15 years ago.
    Oh... never mind :o

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't actually find them, but several years ago I won a lot on eBay that consisted of three 1933 Pedley-Ryan Denver silver rounds (HK-825). The seller, who was not a coin collector or dealer, told me that she found them taped to the bottom of an old chair. When I got the three rounds, they all had old tape residue on one side (which came off easily in a solvent).

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago after reading about people finding coins in old pianos, I told my family I was going into the living room to search our antique upright piano for coins. They said there was nothing in there. I came back with a 1959-D cent, so technically I proved them wrong.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

A slabbed AU58 1934 doubled die quarter that I had misplaced. Looked and looked for it before discovering it there. It was way down next to the arm in the crevice there.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Probably a '37 WLH. Used to search all the old junk cars around here back in the day, it actually took two of us to push the back seat far enough that it would finally unlatch itself so we could check under the seat real good. , also laundry mat washer and dryers sent to the graveyard, these things yielded hundreds of dimes.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found a 1998 Wide AM Lincoln cent in my car while I was waiting for my wife to come out of the house a few years back.
    Not particularly valuable, but it was a fun find while passing time.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No sofa cushions or car seats.... However, I found a '44 WLH beneath a park bench on Lover's Lane a few years back....still have it. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    No sofa cushions or car seats.... However, I found a '44 WLH beneath a park bench on Lover's Lane a few years back....still have it. Cheers, RickO

I stuck a BU 1988 Lincoln cent into a rock wall along Flirtation Walk at the West Point Military Academy. I was visiting a female Chemistry instructor at the Point. I convinced her to break the rules and take me about 100 yards down the path so I could see it.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

1945 Merc dime find in a chair when I was a kid in the 1980s.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2019 8:02PM

As a kid in the early 60's. I remember finding a quarter under the middle of a square display in a Sears store if I remember correctly! Yeah! I was always on the floor exploring! It was all I could do to reach that sucker! :p

Edit to add...Of course it was silver! I'm an old fart now! :#

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found all this in the bed of my pick up after I took my uncle's old couch to the dump!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this behind my driver seat in my truck. Still no final conclusion on what it is.
    Anyone?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing much except good old loose change !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

ALL great stories, but none of them compare to all of the error coins people find in parking lots. You know, the ones they have been graciously posting here for us all to see. :D:D:D

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mom had a upholstery business back in the 80s and pulled a 32-d quarter out of an old chair. It was dirty and I was young and stupid, and took the jewelers cloth to it.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

I laid one in my pants before I found my 1825 dime between my bed frame and mattress. :o

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say NOT a coin but something else I found on the sofa ;)>:)

• Options

@EXOJUNKIE said:
    When I was a teenager in the late 1970s, my father purchased a couple of abandoned cars from a local auctioneer. When we towed them home and pried open the trunks (no keys), one of the cars yielded a bunch of treasure, including a handful of old coins including some gold pieces...I was already collecting wheat pennies and inexpensive coins by then so that was pretty exciting stuff for me!

More recently -- and less dramatic but still cool -- I found a mercury dime in an old piano and my wife actually found a barber dime (yep) on the floor at the airport where she works. She thought maybe it was a foreign coin so she brought it home to ask me about it haha. :)

I want to know, exactly what denomination/year were the coins? Old $20 pieces? Maybe you bought Al Capone's car filled with the gold from his bootlegging business!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Roosevelt Dime. For the tax on an iced tea at Mickey Dee's.

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019 6:38AM

In 1959 as a 10 year old boy, I hit the Mother load. We had just finished the Christian Brothers winery
    tour in St. Helena California. While my parents were "TASTING" I had to wait in the Lounge area. It was full of high back
    overstuffed chairs and I had had plenty to check while I waited. I must have picked a few dollars in change out of
    each chair in the rooms...... WOW for a 10 year old that was like hitting the Lottery. In them days it was ALL SILVER..........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file