Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New old quarter eagle- guess a grade?? (Updated pics 9/23/19)

EfnickEfnick Posts: 44 ✭✭
edited September 23, 2019 12:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here is my new to me, 1911 date quarter eagle with the cool/ interesting wire rim on the front! Excuse the quality of the photographs, I really need to get a macro lenses for my camera... the coin is ungraded, but would anybody care to guess a grade on this one?

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually the wire rim is on the reverse to let you oknow it’s the key date of the series, the 1911-D
    I don’t know what to say about this one.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Usually the wire rim is on the reverse to let you oknow it’s the key date of the series, the 1911-D

I think it's the obverse.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's so yellow... B)

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

@Kliao said:

I think it's the obverse.

Actually both

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really tough to have a gtg without it actually having a grade assigned to it. Unless of course you've had it graded since the pics

• Options
    edited September 21, 2019 2:55PM

It's really tough to have a gtg without it actually having a grade assigned to it. Unless of course you've had it graded since the pics

No, I have not. I was planning on asking around at some of the local coin shops and seeing if any of them offer any kind of service where they'd send it in for grading.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! Very hard to grade from those pics.. a little out of focus, etc. But I would say high AU.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Nice coin! Very hard to grade from those pics.. a little out of focus, etc. But I would say high AU.

Thanks! I really like the coin- Yes, those pics are pretty sub-par, I was having a tough time getting em, no macro lenses so I was holding a magnifying glass up in front of my camera under a florescent light!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough pics to grade from.....
    (Throws dart)......58?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be 55-58.... Nice old gold....I prefer the $5 coin, but, being a gold bug, I like them all.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU53 (if authentic) congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to CU and nice coin @Efnick ..... AU58 INHO :)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to grade from that pic but I'll guess AU55.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Awesome, thanks for the input guys! I wanted to ask, can anyone recommend a coin dealer in southern California, LA county area, that would be able to help me submit the coin to PCGS for grading since I'm not a member?

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2019 10:53AM

Liberty Coin in Signal Hill can help you.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Efnick said:
    Awesome, thanks for the input guys! I wanted to ask, can anyone recommend a coin dealer in southern California, LA county area, that would be able to help me submit the coin to PCGS for grading since I'm not a member?

I've got some vouchers about to expire that I need to use up in the next month or so. You would have to mail the coin to me and I would have to mail it back, but you can piggy back it on my submission if you are interested.

• Options

@Moldnut excellent suggestion, thank you! I did not know about them- Now I want to go check that shop out.

@jwitten thank you for your offer! I will send you a PM to discuss details- Nick

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done many deals with John and he can be totally trusted to follow through on his commitments. Once it's slabbed, please let us know the results.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options
    edited September 23, 2019 12:42PM

Updated pics in natural sunlight!

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 - AU58

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Efnick said:

What’s your reason for wanting to get the coin graded?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Efnick said:

At the time I thought it would be fun to buy a raw coin and send it in for grading. I was kind of talked out of it by several people saying that it just wouldnt be worth the cost to have a single coin graded.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Efnick said:

I agree, but I guess we are not making brownie points with our host.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file