Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I don't know who is worse

PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
edited September 19, 2019 1:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Far too many times, I find a sweet coin deal on Ebay, usually a cherry pick...hit the "Buy it now" button....make my payment....now comes the wait and anticipation....wondering if the coins will look as nice in hand as in the photos....AND THEN....The seller sends a message saying...I need to cancel this order because of BLAH BLAH BLAH...Many times only to see it later relisted and immediately sell for a higher price.
So who should I hate more...the seller???.....OR the "other person"....who probably emailed the seller with a higher offer to buy the coins I just purchased?
I have had way too many sweet deals get torpedoed, and I'm NOT LIKING IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

This should not be allowed but apparently a lot happens with Ebay that should not. Hey, humans are involved. :(

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PRIZ430 said:
    Far too many times, I find a sweet coin deal on Ebay, usually a cherry pick...hit the "Buy it now" button....make my payment....now comes the wait and anticipation....wondering if the coins will look as nice in hand as in the photos....AND THEN....The seller sends a message saying...I need to cancel this order because of BLAH BLAH BLAH...Many times only to see it later relisted and immediately sell for a higher price.
    So who should I hate more...the seller???.....OR the "other person"....who probably emailed the seller with a higher offer to buy the coins I just purchased?
    I have had way too many sweet deals get torpedoed, and I'm NOT LIKING IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you neg the seller?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

One day, someone is going to make an example and go through with a breach of contract lawsuit.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are doing a dishonorable deed but I fault the seller the most. He is the one who controls the situation and is enabling the buyer.

Haven't bought anything on eBay, in quite some time, but have found many good deals in the past.

They do a good job of exposure/advertising.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller should make good on the deal unless it is an obvious mistake or typo.
    As far as who you should hate more..... that's up to you.
    You could just hate everybody.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller. I have actually blocked people just for making the request. I block people who ask me to complete the deal of ebay. And I report them to ebay. The seller controls the response to the unethical, possibly illegal request.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a level of selfishness going on today that I just don't like. Don't think about the other guy, or what is proper. Just, "What's best for ME?!"

(Comparing things today to when I was young officially makes me an old coot.) ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never bought anything on eBay. When you hit "Buy it now" and make a payment, doesn't a SOLD flag go up? Imagine at an auction you bid and win something, the gavel comes down, SOLD to the man in the third row and later they tell you out back that Joe Schmoe paid more afterwards. Perhaps you would have paid even more....if it was something you really wanted. Is there no honor among us?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only time I have breached this was asking a seller to ask the buyer if he would accept a profit on the Buy it Now I just missed. I stirred some interest but nothing happened.

• Options

One of my worst, and most obvious seller backing, out came about a year ago...listing just goes up...No date standing liberty quarter...Which I can plainly see...its a dateless 1916....I hit the buy it now for like 8.00...pay....about 15 minutes later, the seller cancels the purchase and refunds my payment...they claim they lost the coin...I'm like, LOST THE COIN????...For Christs sake you just listed it 15 minutes ago....They were given a negative, but it still doesn't remove the sting of losing out on a dateless 1916 Standing quarter...an easy 1k value, even dateless.

• Options
    howephowep Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

I always hold my breath when I have made what I feel is a great purchase on ebay. The sellers remorse happens sometimes and it is disappointing. All you can do is treat your buyers the way you want to be treated. I have 2,035 perfect feedback from buyers and sellers. That does not mean, I have not had some tough transactions as a seller. I offer 30 day free returns in order to get better deal from ebay. I have had to take a hit a few times with expensive postage, but it is just a cost of doing business

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have sure heard some horror stories about ebay here on the forum. I have not had these problems myself, but I do not do a lot on ebay.... I used to, back in the late 90's early '00's....but now just occasionally. Usually other things than coins. I am really careful now when considering anything on ebay. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess my worst was a wonderful 1838 Quarter listed at no reserve that was AU. I shouldda not answered the sellers question although my answer was benign. Why would you pay so much for this coin? I said it was a nice original coin I liked.

Fast forward and I received a decent VF instead of the AU I bought. The seller said he and his wife had one and he sent his instead of his wife's because his wife decided to keep hers. He sent a $100 refund without even asking. I'm sure since it went for less than 1/2 AU price he took it to a dealer and the dealer supplied him with the VF and bought the AU!

I thought about it and threatened to report him to ebay! Then he just said keep it and refunded all my money. Well I got a descent VF 1838 quarter for free out of it in the end which was 1/2 what I wouldda maid if I got the coin I won fair and square.

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

When someone beats me on an ebay coin I want, I contact the seller and request him to pass a message to the new owner that I want to purchase it. In all cases so far, the new owner has denied wanting to sell it.

Maybe one day!

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:
    When someone beats me on an ebay coin I want, I contact the seller and request him to pass a message to the new owner that I want to purchase it. In all cases so far, the new owner has denied wanting to sell it.

Maybe one day!

If I am the seller, I wouldnt pass that message. There's nothing in it for me and it risks the buyer thinking i'm trying to pull a fast one.

You want the coin, bid higher.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Maybe one day!

If I am the seller, I wouldnt pass that message. There's nothing in it for me and it risks the buyer thinking i'm trying to pull a fast one.

Always buy it nows, not auctions. I dont lose auctions for coins I want.

And, there is something in it for the seller. I offer dealers finders fees for coins I need.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Maybe one day!

Bid higher or faster

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Maybe one day!

Bid higher or faster

see above. I cant view ebay at work - so plenty of buy it nows are listed and bought before I can do anything about it.

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Maybe one day!

Bid higher or faster

see above. I cant view ebay at work - so plenty of buy it nows are listed and bought before I can do anything about it.

Can’t you put a high bid on eBay?

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Maybe one day!

And, there is something in it for the seller. I offer dealers finders fees for coins I need.

Either way, i'm not going to pass the message. It looks shady to the other buyer.

• Options

@Kliao said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Maybe one day!

Bid higher or faster

Can’t you put a high bid on eBay?

Again, I don't lose auctions for coins I want. I only lose when a dealer lists a buy it now and it gets snatched up before I get home from work.

Thats when Ill send a message to the dealer to pass along, which they normally do for me.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Maybe one day!

Either way, i'm not going to pass the message. It looks shady to the other buyer.

That is fair. I've never considered it from a sellers perspective.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2019 3:53PM

@TradesWithChops what kind of trades with chops are you looking for? I can look out for one for you! (A finders fee excites me)

• Options

@Kliao said:
    @TradesWithChops what kind of trades with chops are you looking for? I can look out for one for you! (A finders fee excites me)

PM'ed

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Maybe one day!

I agree. If it’s a buyer I have a long history with I may entertain passing along a message, but I won’t make any money and if it goes south, I’m still going to get blamed. If it’s a buyer I haven’t dealt with much, don’t want them thinking I’m playing games. Lots of risk. Very little reward.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coin22lover said:
    One day, someone is going to make an example and go through with a breach of contract lawsuit.

Small claims court? What's the chance of collecting even if you prevail? If you're in NY and they are in LA are you going to incur the cost to go to LA to file a suit?

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@coin22lover said:

Small claims court? What's the chance of collecting even if you prevail? If you're in NY and they are in LA are you going to incur the cost to go to LA to file a suit?

Well, if I'm in Rochester and they are in Buffalo (or LA and San Diego), it may be worth a drive to prove the point.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

So your mad because you have lost out on ripping off a seller who may have listed something that he was unaware of (such as the dateless 16 qtr you posted about), perhaps you should hate yourself for attempting to steal a 1K coin for $8.00.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Not small claims, it would have to be worth it. See this case: https://nypost.com/2018/03/08/woman-must-pay-for-canceled-ebay-diamond-ring-sale-court/

A contract is a contract...just because no one ever pursues the breach doesn't make it less of a contract.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2019 5:52PM

@coinbuf said:
    So your mad because you have lost out on ripping off a seller who may have listed something that he was unaware of (such as the dateless 16 qtr you posted about), perhaps you should hate yourself for attempting to steal a 1K coin for $8.00.

And by that logic, the dealer stole it from whom they bought it from. Where does the buck stop?

They entered into a legal contract and then immediately ended it. That is a violation of Ebay policy and probably law. That's where the buck stops.

So not only is the unethical dealer a law breaker, but they are a thief as well (according to you). LOL

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

There isn't much of a choice, if it is to hate one more than another

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@coinbuf said:

And by that logic, the dealer stole it from whom they bought it from. Where does the buck stop?

They entered into a legal contract and then immediately ended it. That is a violation of Ebay policy and probably law. That's where the buck stops.

So not only is the unethical dealer a law breaker, but they are a thief as well (according to you). LOL

Basically this. We all have to keep in mind that your own sense of ethics and the letter of the law aren't the same thing. The keyboard lawyers out there seem to forget this.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're assuming a third party contacted the seller and asked for a relist.

I say the seller just did not like the price it sold for and cancelled for a re-list. There is no third party.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@derryb said:
    You're assuming a third party contacted the seller and asked for a relist.

I say the seller just did not like the price it sold for and cancelled for a re-list. There is no third party.

It was a buy it now....I paid the full asking price

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 7:44PM

Then seller realized he listed it at too low a price. And like you say a third party might have enlightened him.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@coinbuf said:

Lot of assumptions in your reply, first how do you know the seller was a dealer, that is not known or disclosed by the op. Second I don't see how you can assume that the seller stole it, in fact you have no way of knowing how the seller came into possession of the coin. Your logic (if you can call it that) is flawed due to all your assumptions.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@PRIZ430 said:

@coinbuf said:

It's not my job to sit in front of my laptop scouring Ebay listings in order to educate uneducated sellers....my job is to use my hard earned knowledge to weed out good opportunities for my own good. Remember...I paid the sellers asking price...There is NO RIP OFF of the seller occurring here. My time and knowledge are valuable.

I never said its your job to do anything, simply that your mad because you weren't able to obtain something of value for pennies on the dollar, in my book that is just the same as stealing. Apparently you and I have a different idea of right and wrong.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

Is this a wind-up or do you truly believe that no one should ever accept a bargain when offered?

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay long ago quit getting most of my business. Now it gets none. Why? I refer to what happened to the OP.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@PRIZ430 said:

Did you neg the seller?

I'm still waiting for an answer.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@PerryHall said:

@PRIZ430 said:

Did you neg the seller?

No...Not yet...have to wait out Ebays wonderful feedback policy...no negs for first 7 days after the sale

• Options

@PRIZ430 said:

@PerryHall said:

@PerryHall said:

@PRIZ430 said:

Did you neg the seller?

No...Not yet...have to wait out Ebays wonderful feedback policy...no negs for first 7 days after the sale

In this case a neg is well deserved. Anyone who is sane will not want to bid on a coin where the seller doesn't honor his obligation to the high bidder to complete the sale.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy it at the new price and return it. >:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file