Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need some guidance re: better way of polishing scratches out of slabs

ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most coins I buy come in slabs with numerous ugly scratches. I'd like to acquire something to make slab polishing easier & quicker. The "elbow grease" method with Plast-X and a microfiber cloth takes forever. Has anybody found a small fabric wheel (for use with Plast-X) to chuck in a Dremel tool (or some other tool) that works well? Failing that, is there a better method? I'd really appreciate any tips.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not do it often, however, I have used a Dremel tool and brush - they make many varieties of wheels/pads... I believe the last time I used two different ones... I do not recall which number they were.. go to their site, there are different pictures there. Cheers, RickO https://www.dremel.com/en_US/accessories-and-attachments/-/subcategory/accessory/find-by-tool/905/all/27386

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously, For the best results: Use the reholder service at PCGS. Your coin will look beautiful and "fresh" again. :) Save up a few at a time and cut down the postage costs.

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

Purchase a cotton wheel for buffing most metals and plastic that attaches to your drill. Use the plastX and buffing wheel. You still will have to do the final finish by hand.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019 12:05PM

Look at headlight polishing kits in auto stores. Many come with a buffing wheel that fits on a drill. Be careful. Sometimes if you’re not careful the slab can go for a short unexpected journey on a ballistic trajectory. Don’t use a Dremel. The speed is too high and you’ll melt the slab.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing beats polishing by hand. I've done it hundreds, if not thousands of times. I don't charge customers extra for it. I just can't stomach slab scratches in nice photos.

With a little effort all but the most severe scratches can be removed. And even when the scratches are severe polishing softens their edges so they are less prominent in photos.
    Lance.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019 12:56PM

I found this set up at a tool store, have used for several years so I don't remember specifies from before I had my stroke.

Use Plastics and slow speed don't want melt the slab with friction build up.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had great luck with Plast-X and an old face cloth, hand buffing.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Nothing beats polishing by hand. I've done it hundreds, if not thousands of times. I don't charge customers extra for it. I just can't stomach slab scratches in nice photos.

With a little effort all but the most severe scratches can be removed. And even when the scratches are severe polishing softens their edges so they are less prominent in photos.
    Lance.

I've heard you say that before and I'm sure your photo customers appreciate it :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deep scratches need to be sanded out. Then Polished Back.

If it is for photography, Then oil can be used to shoot thru the scratches making them disappear.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a thread on fixing slabs but it may be more elbow grease than you are looking for. Bryce also added a link in the thread for a demo he did.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1024115/how-to-fix-a-scratched-slab#latest

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Novus with elbow grease, seems to work fairly well.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file