Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins sent back for, Mechanical Error?

Hey guys, received 2 submissions back a few weeks ago. 1 box was pre-33 gold and the other Was world gold.
The US gold had $2.5 eagles and the World had random Gold Coins.

All of the US coins scanned on the PCGS Cert app and the numbers could be manually typed in. All would come up in the appropriate info.

The World submission was a different story, 2 of the 3 coins in this Lot would not scan or come up when I typed the numbers into the certification manually.

I called PCGS and talked to customer service and they told me what to do, albeit I had to call multiple.

So my question is, are US and World coins encapsulated at the same location? Trying to figure out why The world coins would not scan

And also, does PCGS consider a coin coming back for a mechanical error as a submission?
Nothing has came up on, “My Account App” and they received the coins about a week ago

Thanks

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Sometimes there are data entry errors. PCGS fixes it but it's still unsettling when it happens to us and we discover that their errors don't increase the value like the U.S. mint made errors do.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Electricity....Welcome aboard. Any pictures of the U.S. gold coins? Cheers, RickO

• ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had that issue once on a PCGS MS65 Saint... It was a hassle to add it to my inventory for months, since the cert numbers were bad, but customer service was happy to fix this issue when I brought the coin to the LB show earlier this year.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums @Electricity.

If it can be fixed with a phone call and data entry fix then your good.

If it cannot be fixed by the above and you have to return the slabbed coins our host will provide the shipping label via email so that you can send it back. No cost to you except the gas in your car to drop the package off.

• I talked to customer service a few weeks back and did all the appropriate measures they asked for, pictures of the coin, submission slip and a picture of my receipt.

The customer service person,” I will not reveal that individuals name” said they would send a FedEx label email. I never received one, so I mailed the coin back on my own dime.
    I called again this Tuesday and they said they were refunding my shipping costs.

Still waiting for it to be logged into the system though😟
    This is not my coin and the gentleman I sent it in for can be a pain.

Tracking shows it was delivered Monday of last week.

Will update

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Electricity said:
    I talked to customer service a few weeks back and did all the appropriate measures they asked for, pictures of the coin, submission slip and a picture of my receipt.

The customer service person,” I will not reveal that individuals name” said they would send a FedEx label email. I never received one, so I mailed the coin back on my own dime.
    I called again this Tuesday and they said they were refunding my shipping costs.

Still waiting for it to be logged into the system though😟
    This is not my coin and the gentleman I sent it in for can be a pain.

Tracking shows it was delivered Monday of last week.

Will update

Should have called back for the FEDEX label. I’ve had a few mech errors and had to make a follow-up call for the FEDEX label after a couple days on one of them. Email arrived as we were talking.

It is great that your getting the shipping charges refunded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file