Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

? About USPS Coin Shipment Tracking

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 17, 2019 3:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Of the various services [express mail, registered, certified, priority, etc.] offered by the USPS for shipping coins which are most likely to have reliable real time tracking? Maybe call it up to date or on time tracking.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Of the various services [express mail, registered, certified, priority, etc.] offered by the USPS for shipping coins which are most likely to have reliable real time tracking?

None?

If by real time tracking you mean you can see exactly where it is at any instant in time.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Of the various services [express mail, registered, certified, priority, etc.] offered by the USPS for shipping coins which are most likely to have reliable real time tracking?

None?

If by real time tracking you mean you can see exactly where it is at any instant in time.

Not that real time, but updated promptly when it reaches each "checkpoint". I know that they can tell where my route man is when he scans a package. I'll edit to call it up to date or on time tracking.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 3:59PM

Best to less best for tracking.

UPS, USPS, then FEDEX

USPS has recently upgraded their software so and it seems to have more fidelity. There are more regional and distribution nexuses and other nodes (or whatever they are called) and a scan at each.

I like the UPS GPS mapping during the final leg.

FEDEX seems to not do as much scanning for ground service (long haul trucking and longer distances between legs). The quicker service (anything that is not long haul ground) is okay for tracking.

I have accounts with all three, their apps, and use all three.

Preference is USPS.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found USPS tracking to be totally satisfactory. Only registered and Priority used with any regularity.

• Options

@Rexford said:
    It's all the same tracking system

There's one for us and one for them. Of the ones for us which one do they care about the most? I would think that with express service and guarantees and such that they wouldn't lollygag around about getting things scanned in.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love USPS but I could tell you a story from 2 weeks ago, If I get time tomorrow I will.........It's interesting :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find the USPS tracking to be quite good.... even when a package goes astray (my wife had one make an unnecessary journey from the east coast, to the west coast and back) it continued to report the status....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    I love USPS but I could tell you a story from 2 weeks ago, If I get time tomorrow I will.........It's interesting :)

If you mail enough stuff you're bound to have at least one "story" to tell.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

So,

I mailed a package to a member here.

September 3, 2019
    Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

September 3, 2019, 7:07 am
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item

September 3, 2019, 8:53 am
    USPS in possession of item

September 3, 2019, 11:56 am
    Processing Exception, Other Delay
    Emergency situation at Post Office

The thing is, this 'processing Exception @ 11.56 AM' was posted on the tracking at 8.53AM. I went back to the PO and they said they had no clue ???

Later while back at the PO, a girl I know that works there said the fire alarm went off at about 11.53 AM ???????

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    So,

I mailed a package to a member here.

September 3, 2019
    Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

September 3, 2019, 7:07 am
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item

September 3, 2019, 8:53 am
    USPS in possession of item

September 3, 2019, 11:56 am
    Processing Exception, Other Delay
    Emergency situation at Post Office

The thing is, this 'processing Exception @ 11.56 AM' was posted on the tracking at 8.53AM. I went back to the PO and they said they had no clue ???

Later while back at the PO, a girl I know that works there said the fire alarm went off at about 11.53 AM ???????

Stuff happens.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real time = None.

Best is express.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when USPS tracking was almost nil, Express always had the best tracking--it was routinely updated and showed point by point where the package was. Nowadays, tracking for all services is pretty good. Perhaps not instant, but most services will show each place a package has been.

By virtue of the speed at which Express moves between points, it looks like the tracking is better, but I'm not sure it's any different from the other services anymore. That said, Express is probably less likely to miss a scan or sit somewhere unnoticed for a while. Every so often, First Class or even Priority can just end up forgotten, and then even if the tracking is accurate, you'll still feel anxious.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019 7:14PM

Between Registered and Priority, I think Priority is more regularly updated. None are real time or perfect.

I think because it's moving faster.

As far as Express I don't know.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting tracking story from UPS. We were expecting a time sensitive, commercial shipment. The day we were expecting delivery, I checked tracking in the morning and it had scanned in at the local depot. It wasn't delivered with other UPS items, so I checked the tracking again and it had not updated to "Out for delivery" like I would expect.

We know the various shipping people, so we called the depot to figure out what happened. I were told that it had been delayed and not actually arrived at the depot. When asked about tracking update, I was informed that it was a "logical scan". This was roughly defined to me as: the package was supposed to arrive at the depot at the time and so was marked as such. I have no idea if anything about this "logical scan" is actually true, but obviously negates the entire purpose of tracking. And sure enough the next day it scanned in for second time to the depot when it actually arrived.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found UPS to be the best/consistent as far as delivery dates are concerned. USPS "can be" the best but they are inconsistent. Sometimes you get a lot of details/update and sometimes, not so much. They often miss the original delivery dates. I try to avoid FedEx.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file